Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by Noahf989
Found out today that on AA the confirmed upgrade could be transferred with SDC.

Great feature. Even better perks compared to on AS itself.
Wow. I didn't know this. I fly AA about half the time so this is great information.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I thought I recently saw something on Alaska airlines codeshare AA flights now being able to get upgrades or something along that line, but I now cannot find what I originally saw.
Anyone know what I am talking about and could send me a link or picture?
Old May 8, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RaingerRain
I thought I recently saw something on Alaska airlines codeshare AA flights now being able to get upgrades or something along that line, but I now cannot find what I originally saw.
That would be news to me. It is my understanding that AS Elites are only eligible for upgrades on AA Marketed & AA Operated fligjts. In other words an AA prime flight number.

With AS codeshare flights, you earn 100% EQM on all economy flights sold by AS, (AS doesn't market AA BE fares) so perhaps that is the trade off.

I haven't flown an AS codeshare in a while but the last time I did, I was able to get added to the waitlist at the airport with a good check-in agent. Usually it is too late by then. The gate & lounge agents were clueless.

James
Old May 8, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That would be news to me. It is my understanding that AS Elites are only eligible for upgrades on AA Marketed & AA Operated fligjts. In other words an AA prime flight number.

With AS codeshare flights, you earn 100% EQM on all economy flights sold by AS, (AS doesn't market AA BE fares) so perhaps that is the trade off.

I haven't flown an AS codeshare in a while but the last time I did, I was able to get added to the waitlist at the airport with a good check-in agent. Usually it is too late by then. The gate & lounge agents were clueless.

James

I completely agree with you, I flew a few AS code chairs and at the airport got on the upgrade list the problem is people can already be upgraded by then, and my window is 72 hours and would like to make the most out of it. Here’s the thing, I was worried and wrote these messages because I pulled up my flights on AA app and it did not show me an upgrade list. I just looked a few minutes ago and it did it. Hallelujah! Again, I don’t know where but I’m sure I read some thing about it that Alaska fixed these issues, I definitely complained a good few times about this. I just could not find any article or something on it even though I was pretty sure that I did read that. Seems like I was right because again it now shows me on the upgrade list even though I purchased it as a codeshare.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I completely agree with you, I flew a few AS code chairs and at the airport got on the upgrade list the problem is people can already be upgraded by then, and my window is 72 hours and would like to make the most out of it. Here’s the thing, I was worried and wrote these messages because I pulled up my flights on AA app and it did not show me an upgrade list. I just looked a few minutes ago and it did it. Hallelujah! Again, I don’t know where but I’m sure I read some thing about it that Alaska fixed these issues, I definitely complained a good few times about this. I just could not find any article or something on it even though I was pretty sure that I did read that. Seems like I was right because again it now shows me on the upgrade list even though I purchased it as a codeshare.
Good to hear! My codeshare flights are usually a relatively short flight to an AS market. I have flown MIA-ORD-BOI-LAX & MIA-DFW-SEA-PHX both times first flight on AA. I wasn't too concerned about the upgrades on AA, MSC at booking & 100% EQM meant I earned 3308 & 3888 EQM respectively on $133 fares & upgraded on a the AS segments.

Of course when AS commences SEA-MIA, I am sure a few of those will go away. There are often good codeshare fares on AS, all AA metal, itineraries between SAN & MIA. Access to upgrades is icing on the cake.

James
Old May 9, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Here ya go.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:42 am

5/12/22
SEA-CLT
Fare Class H
AA854
Status 75K
F was full for weeks out. I think I was about number 11 on the waitlist.

5/12/22
CLT-CLE
Fare Class H
AA 1267
Status 75k
Upgraded at the gate. Excellent service I was able to order two drinks on a very short flight. No snacks other than mixed nuts, though.

5/18/22
CLE-DFW
Fare Class K
AA 1260
Status 75k
I was still at number 8 on the waitlist at time of takeoff.

5/18/22
DFW-SEA
Fare Class K
AA 1241
Status 75k
I was number 7 at the time of takeoff.

I've never been upgraded to/from SEA and AA hubs like CLT or DFW but have good success on the shorter connecting routes to less popular cities. As someone who flies half the time to cities AS doesn't service, I really appreciate the partnership.
samosa likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Noahf989
Found out today that on AA the confirmed upgrade could be transferred with SDC.

Great feature. Even better perks compared to on AS itself.
I wonder what happens if you SDC from a flight that doesn't have lie-flats to one that does?
Old May 20, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I wonder what happens if you SDC from a flight that doesn't have lie-flats to one that does?
This is not true, upgrades don't transfer on AA SDFCs. You need to downgrade first, change, then re-apply for the upgrade. If the right space is available it may seem seamless (if your upgrade clears as soon as it's requested) but it's not.

You also can't just change to any flight with any economy fare class available; there is some secret formula that no one really knows which decides if you can change to a particular flight.

Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"
Old May 24, 2022, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
5/25/22
BOS-LAX
Fare Class G
AA2455
Status 75K
Upgraded to Flagship J around 26 hours before departure. I don't have a seat assignment because they are overselling J and will be doing op-ups to F. A week out J was showing 4 seats left for sale and only 1 left on the seat map so I figured it wasn't going to happen. Now lets see if I can double my luck with a double upgrade. I know is basically impossible but i'm just happy to have a lie flat so I can get a nap in an try to get somewhat acclimated to Australia time.
atcanobbio and joachimm like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Is there a way to see the upgrade list on AA? I'm used to being able to do that on Alaska and United. But I don't see the upgrade list either on the AA app or on the website. Is it available somewhere and I'm not finding it? Or does AA not have transparency?
Old May 29, 2022, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
Is there a way to see the upgrade list on AA? I'm used to being able to do that on Alaska and United. But I don't see the upgrade list either on the AA app or on the website. Is it available somewhere and I'm not finding it? Or does AA not have transparency?
You can see the waitlist on the app but not until about 8 hours or so before departure. If there's a way to see it sooner I'd love to know but I've never found one.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
You can see the waitlist on the app but not until about 8 hours or so before departure. If there's a way to see it sooner I'd love to know but I've never found one.
Aha. I'm used to being able to see it 24 hours in advance. The flight is in about 20 hours, so I won't see it until I wake up tomorrow morning
samosa likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
Aha. I'm used to being able to see it 24 hours in advance. The flight is in about 20 hours, so I won't see it until I wake up tomorrow morning
Yeah, it's kind of frustrating that it isn't visible any sooner.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Apologies if this has been covered. Am I eligible for an upgrade (domestic economy to first) on an AA award? 100K with one companion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.