Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Old Sep 27, 21, 8:07 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by flying for fun View Post
i have on several occasions been skipped over on AS as a solo traveler and #1 on the upgrade list with 2 open f seats 10 minutes before departure. I anticipate they went to non-revs. I also watched a non as elite pay the upgrade fee taking the last f seat with me #1 on the upgrade list.
Originally Posted by andykehn View Post
as can't do anything in this case since this is an aa flight. The aa ga has all the power.
OP was referencing AS flights. 🙌🏻

Last edited by anteater; Sep 27, 21 at 8:41 am
Old Sep 27, 21, 11:30 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 985X View Post
And no apologies from GA at all.
Do they apologize for anything?
985X likes this.
Old Sep 28, 21, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K
i had a solo booking on AA before and I clearly remember seeing somewhere in the reservation that a comp upgrade had been requested. I just booked another trip on AA.com with a companion and i don't see the "upgrade requested" info anywhere. I was able to select MCE seats for myself and my +1 , so I am sure my 75k status was recognized.

Should I be worried about our names not being in the UG list?
Old Sep 28, 21, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by atcanobbio View Post
i had a solo booking on AA before and I clearly remember seeing somewhere in the reservation that a comp upgrade had been requested. I just booked another trip on AA.com with a companion and i don't see the "upgrade requested" info anywhere. I was able to select MCE seats for myself and my +1 , so I am sure my 75k status was recognized.
Does your trip show "Requested" on the "Upgrades" tab on the AA app?
atcanobbio likes this.
Old Sep 28, 21, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Does your trip show "Requested" on the "Upgrades" tab on the AA app?

i just opened the rezzie in the AA app and yes, it shows "requested" on both legs. So that means all is good, right?
Old Sep 28, 21, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by atcanobbio View Post
i just opened the rezzie in the AA app and yes, it shows "requested" on both legs. So that means all is good, right?
Unless you want to upfare and just book F, that's as good as it gets...
Old Sep 28, 21, 8:51 pm

9/27/2021
AA2286 LAX-MIA B772 (Reverse herringbone) Cleared T-72.
Flagship meal service was great.

9/27/2021
AA1753 MIA-DFW B77W
#11/32 - Never cleared. Premium Economy seat was nice though.
Old Sep 29, 21, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire(useless)
10/02/2021

AA529 LAX-MIA (6:00 a.m. Saturday departure) cleared T-72 to Flagship Biz in B773

as flight hasn't happened yet things could still change.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Sep 30, 21, 11:18 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Just want to chime in here to say how blown away I have been by these reciprocal benefits. I received Alaska status through a status match and have a 100% upgrade percentage, mainly flying MIA-JFK-MIA on $49 fares in each direction (even with companions). Now that the upgrades are being processed in advance, I have gotten a Flagship First seat the last few flights. Best deal in the skies. There was also one instance where I got dropped from the upgrade list due to a same day change, and the check-in agent was able to add me back onto the list as a "Platinum Pro" member.
Old Sep 30, 21, 11:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by goldelite8 View Post
. Now that the upgrades are being processed in advance, I have gotten a Flagship First seat the last few flights.
How did your AS status lead to this? I was under the impression that even AA elites couldn't receive complementary upgrades into Flagship First.
Old Sep 30, 21, 11:30 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
They're using 773s on MIA-JFK-MIA that are equipped with the Flagship First seats (just without the Flagship First service, as it's all sold as one first class cabin on these flights).
Old Sep 30, 21, 11:33 am

Programs: AA CK, AC SE100K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
How did your AS status lead to this? I was under the impression that even AA elites couldn't receive complementary upgrades into Flagship First.
Correct. The only way to upgrade to Flagship First on AA is with a miles/copay upgrade or a SWU from a paid business class ticket (in any revenue class, like J, C, D, R, I). I suspect the other poster was talking about the 77W flying between MIA and JFK, where the Flagship First seats are sold as J. You can therefore buy a cheap Y ticket, get a complimentary upgrade to J, and select an F seat in rows 1 or 2 if still available.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Sep 30, 21, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by goldelite8 View Post
They're using 773s on MIA-JFK-MIA that are equipped with the Flagship First seats (just without the Flagship First service, as it's all sold as one first class cabin on these flights).
Oh okay, gotcha. Still a pleasant surprise that those weren't all taken by the time your upgrade cleared.
Old Oct 3, 21, 1:18 pm

Just booked some domestic flights on AA and they do not show Upgrade Requested. Does anyone know if there's a new policy update or there's a bug?
Old Oct 3, 21, 2:42 pm

Does anyone know how AA prioritizes upgrades for AS elites when it's people with the same status? Date of purchase, fare class, or both?

Search this Thread