Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Did you try pulling up the AA portion of the itinerary online at American? You need to add in the AS # yourself.

For those booking a wholly AA itinerary and know for sure you are crediting to AS, book as a guest and don't log into your AA account.

Even if you already have your AA # attached to the reservation, there is still no need to call. Just pull up the chat via the AA app, and ask them to make the change. Note if you type in your AS 9 digit #, the chat system will mask it (hint: SSN has also 9 digits), so the agent on the other side of the chat can't see it. You'd need to change the format to: xxx/xxx/xxx
I did log in to the AA site, but the trip didn't show on the AA site and I could find no way to add it. I just let it go, as it was just 187miles/26 minutes in the air, OGG/GRR.

So I was surprised, then, to get an FC upgrade and all miles (including the current AS 50% bonus) credited to my AS account. Wasn't what I was expecting.

Thanks for those tips. I'm sure I'll have an opp to put them to good use later this year.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Anyone have any luck on the 777 Hawaii-DFW flights yet?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
I did log in to the AA site, but the trip didn't show on the AA site and I could find no way to add it. I just let it go, as it was just 187miles/26 minutes in the air, OGG/GRR.

So I was surprised, then, to get an FC upgrade and all miles (including the current AS 50% bonus) credited to my AS account. Wasn't what I was expecting.

Thanks for those tips. I'm sure I'll have an opp to put them to good use later this year.
OGG/GRR in 26 minutes? Dang!
Old Aug 31, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by johnp012001
OGG/GRR in 26 minutes? Dang!
Oh good grief. Is my sleep deprivation showing?

Either I meant ORD/GRR, or it's a SpaceX thing.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
9/4 LAX-ELP T72
9/7 LAX-PHX-ELP T72, did a same-day change, and I can choose F seats immediately after the change, not sure if it is a glitch in our favor, or their IT is that good.
BTW, their First alcoholic beverages seem to have a larger selection, but the food/snacks are sad.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by simonsuo
9/4 LAX-ELP T72
9/7 LAX-PHX-ELP T72, did a same-day change, and I can choose F seats immediately after the change, not sure if it is a glitch in our favor, or their IT is that good.
BTW, their First alcoholic beverages seem to have a larger selection, but the food/snacks are sad.
FWIW AS has, in my experience, the best domestic F meals, period. I recently did a status challenge to move from AA to AS, and the vastly superior caliber of its service has been a very pleasant surprise! AA's not great even for actual mealtimes, but their "snacks" are just flat-out sad – basically the same crap they used to serve in Y.

That said, AA does have marginally better alcoholic beverages IMO (though they've famously ceased serving them entirely in coach, due to all the scores of incidents of passenger "fly rage," e.g. due to mask mandates).
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by kirker
FWIW AS has, in my experience, the best domestic F meals, period.
On average I definitely agree, not even close.

Although the best domestic meals that I’ve had this year have been on AA flagship routes. Their non-flagship meals/snack options are horrid.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 10:28 pm

Semi-related even though upgrade was not (yet) involved. I booked an AA flight then sent a twitter message to change my AA number to AS (75k). My friend then booked the same flight (seperate pnr since he needed to use his flight credit). I then messaged AA on twitter to cross-reference his pnr with mine. He could then select free MCE seat. Not sure whats happening with upgrade but I'll report back.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Date: 9/10/21
Flight Number: AA 1156
Route BOS-MIA
Aircraft Type: 772

I was 6 of 16 on upgrade list. I had already selected 13A premium economy bulkhead at booking (Sold as MCE)

Date: 9/10/21
Flight Number: AA 1061
Route MIA-LAX

Upgraded automatically at 72 hours out. 2 hours out only 1 person on waitlist for 2 seats.

Date: 9/12/21
Flight Number: AA 529
Route LAX-MIA
Aircraft Type: 77W

Upgraded automatically at 72 hours out. I was able to snag 3A in the 2 row mini cabin when that person was upgraded to Flagship First.

Date: 9/12/21
Flight Number: AA 1054
Route MIA-BOS

Upgraded automatically at 72 hours out

If anyone wants to give LAX/MIA a chance i hear its on sale next weekend for $89 each way.
NoLaGent, joachimm and simonsuo like this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Booked a sort of MR to get the 700 miles I need for the fabled 100K tier. Being based in BOS this seemed like an easy way to get the miles and also check out some of AA's wider planes. Have a BOS-LAX trip coming up in October so maybe I'll hit paydirt and get upgraded on the A321T also.

9/10

1156 (1:50PM)
BOS-MIA
No companion, she decided Martha's Vineyard sounded way better than flying around the country for no good reason lol
5/10+
Seat chart showed at least 10 seats available T-72 but they slowly started disappearing. This must be a popular flight with the plat pro+ which I assume we have lower priority than. Fortunately others' upgrades opened up a bulkhead PE seat which, I gotta tell ya, is a great seat. Legroom for miles, the pull-up TV is fun and width is fine for a big guy like me- noticeably less than AS F but in range. Truth be told I was bummed this didn't clear but also the ticket was $98/rt so I'm not complaining.

9/11
1228/1268 (same day return)
MIA-LAX-MIA
77W
Solitary
~T-72 I think
$112 ticket, very excited to try out the 77W in J

9/11
MIA-BOS
777-200
Solo
~T72 I think

Pretty happy with the outcome. Hit the Centurion lounge this evening, will go again tomorrow morning and I guess will have access to the AC tomorrow morning if I so choose. Quick turns thereafter so probably won't be able to hit any other lounges at LAX or back at MIA. Off to the MIA Marriott for a glamorous stay.
CDKing, NoLaGent, anteater and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 3:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Upgrades are only available on marketed/operated flights. Codeshares do not currently support upgrades regardless of marketing or operating carrier. So, you should buy from AA if you want an upgrade on AA metal.
My mistake as well. Sort of makes sense financially.... codeshare flights are revenue shared, and I guess AA wants 100%. If Booked Via AS for AA codeshare, AA is not budging so no F upgrade, just MCE. Oh well.

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Sep 12, 2021 at 9:29 am
Old Sep 13, 2021, 2:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I've made three AA bookings recently. I was logged into my (zero-status) AA account, so when it came time to enter "name information" I selected "AS" as my loyalty program, and re-entered all my info again, including my AS# and my TSA# (I finally figured out to make an additional "companion" that's got my AS/TSA info in it to save a few steps). I was able to select the "Elite Seats" with no charge.

Problem is, none of these flights are showing up anywhere- neither in "My Trips" on AS nor AA ... I have the E-mails (and the CC charges) and I can manually look them up so I know they're there (and saw the "We requested your upgrade." notice on each) but is this happening to anyone else?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I've made three AA bookings recently. I was logged into my (zero-status) AA account, so when it came time to enter "name information" I selected "AS" as my loyalty program, and re-entered all my info again, including my AS# and my TSA# (I finally figured out to make an additional "companion" that's got my AS/TSA info in it to save a few steps). I was able to select the "Elite Seats" with no charge.

Problem is, none of these flights are showing up anywhere- neither in "My Trips" on AS nor AA ... I have the E-mails (and the CC charges) and I can manually look them up so I know they're there (and saw the "We requested your upgrade." notice on each) but is this happening to anyone else?
Your flights won't show up on AS unless it's a codeshare flight operated by AA. It won't show up on AA if you have an AA account as the reservation does not have your AA number.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 2:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
It won't show up on AA if you have an AA account as the reservation does not have your AA number.
OK, makes sense. Will I still be able to use the AA app to get a BP on my phone, albeit manually? This is a bit unusual for me (and Tripit Pro is acting up, yet again and not accepting the forwarded E-mails) so how do you in this situation keep up with the flights?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
OK, makes sense. Will I still be able to use the AA app to get a BP on my phone, albeit manually? This is a bit unusual for me (and Tripit Pro is acting up, yet again and not accepting the forwarded E-mails) so how do you in this situation keep up with the flights?
Yeah just enter the details under "Find Trip" on the app.
FlyerDigits likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.