77W
- UPGRADED to Business about 2 days before flight
- Noticed upgrade during routine itinerary check on 15 August
- At T-48, Business Class seat map showed 20/52 seats available

18 August 2021
AA 2283
MIA-LAX
77W
- NOT upgraded; made it to #7 on upgrade list. #1 was upgraded.
- Appeared on the upgrade list automatically; did not manually request upgrades nor take any action at the gate.
- At T-72, Business Class seat map showed 5/52 seats available
Did you try to go into the AC lounge before your LAX-MIA flight?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Did you try to go into the AC lounge before your LAX-MIA flight?
I did, but I am an Alaska Lounge member and entered on that basis. I didn't think to try presenting only my Business Class boarding pass.
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
So there is hope for advance now. nice. I'm doing BOS-MIA-LAX and back next month.

Originally Posted by mikew99
I did, but I am an Alaska Lounge member and entered on that basis. I didn't think to try presenting only my Business Class boarding pass.
Flagship lounge is not back open yet so you didn't miss much. MIA is supposed to reopen in September, the remainder in fall, hopefully in time for my flight (if I get the magical advance upgrade). Business class on MIA/LAX should get Admirals Club access without membership

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 19, 2021 at 5:30 pm
Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Saw this just now:

Checked and i did receive the upgrade PHX-DEN at more than 50 hours out. Nice!
Old Aug 23, 2021, 11:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Guys, sorry if this question has already been covered in the thread but how do I add my 75k status to the AA reservation? Do I need to call their customer support and ask them to do that manually?

In general, I found their website to be quite confusing - for example, I can't add an AS Mileage Plan number for myself, but I can do that for my companions...
Old Aug 23, 2021, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by hyedmd
Guys, sorry if this question has already been covered in the thread but how do I add my 75k status to the AA reservation? Do I need to call their customer support and ask them to do that manually?

In general, I found their website to be quite confusing - for example, I can't add an AS Mileage Plan number for myself, but I can do that for my companions...
When making a booking make sure you're not logged into your AA account. If you do you have to make yourself a profile with your AS number.

To add a AS number to a passenger profile in an existing to booking you'll have to call it in if there's an existing number in it.
hyedmd likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:00 am

Send a twitter message to AA with your AA pnr and AS number
hyedmd likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Send a twitter message to AA with your AA pnr and AS number
I guess I'm one of few people who don't have a Twitter account I called AA customer support and they added my AS number. I still don't know why I can add myself as a companion and include my AS MileagePlan number but can't do it as an AA account holder.

Also, can you guys clarify this for me: are AS 75k and a companion on the same reservation eligible to get first-class upgrades? I thought I've read so some time ago, but CSR said not yet.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:20 pm

I guess I'm one of few people who don't have a Twitter account I called AA customer support and they added my AS number. I still don't know why I can add myself as a companion and include my AS MileagePlan number but can't do it as an AA account holder.

Also, can you guys clarify this for me: are AS 75k and a companion on the same reservation eligible to get first-class upgrades? I thought I've read so some time ago, but CSR said not yet.
As one world emerald you and your companion are eligible for upgrades. CSRs are commonly commonly clueless. I didn't have a twitter account either but I created one just to message all the airlines and hotels. Much faster and efficient way to communicate. Also easy to name and shame them publicly to get their attention/compensation.
FlyerDigits and hyedmd like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:26 pm

I finally got my first AA upgrade as an AS 75K. It was SFO-ORD. When I checked in, 2 seats were available in first and I was the only person on the upgrade waiting list. Even though I was the only passenger on the waiting list, I didn't get upgraded until 10 minutes before boarding. I guess they were really trying to wait and sell the last first class seat.

My second flight, ORD-MSP, I was upgraded 30+ hours out.
PDXPremier, anteater and simonsuo like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by KuBear
I finally got my first AA upgrade as an AS 75K. It was SFO-ORD. When I checked in, 2 seats were available in first and I was the only person on the upgrade waiting list. Even though I was the only passenger on the waiting list, I didn't get upgraded until 10 minutes before boarding. I guess they were really trying to wait and sell the last first class seat.

My second flight, ORD-MSP, I was upgraded 30+ hours out.
Did you see upgrades in the AA app? Or did you talk to a gate agent (during your SFO-ORD trip)?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:42 pm

Did you see upgrades in the AA app? Or did you talk to a gate agent (during your SFO-ORD trip)?
I saw the upgrade wait list and the availability of first class seats on the AA app a few hours after I checked in. I never went to talk to the gate agent about upgrading me. When I was upgraded, I got a text message alert from AA. Then I checked the AA app and noticed my seat has changed from main cabin extra to first.

After scanning my updated boarding pass on my phone to board, the gate agent called my name to come get a new updated boarding pass. I told him, "hey that's me who you just called, my boarding pass on my phone is already updated," but in my head I was like "couldn't you had called my name earlier like 10 minutes ago? 🤦🏻‍♂️"
simonsuo, FlyerDigits and hyedmd like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
If I go onto the AS website and as a 75K am I ineligible for a FC upgrade on AA flight direct from ORD to SAN? Or do I have to go to the AA website for the same flight to be eligible?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Xrayman
If I go onto the AS website and as a 75K am I ineligible for a FC upgrade on AA flight direct from ORD to SAN? Or do I have to go to the AA website for the same flight to be eligible?
Upgrades are only available on marketed/operated flights. Codeshares do not currently support upgrades regardless of marketing or operating carrier. So, you should buy from AA if you want an upgrade on AA metal.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Finally, auto-upgraded on AA at T-72!

I have not flown on AA for 22 days because I was frustrated with begging AA gate agents for an upgrade, so I went back to United for a bit, with other flights on Alaska.

Today, I noticed on the AA app that I am already confirmed in First for my August 29 AA flights, IAH-CLT and CLT-MIA. The last flight is on a 777-200ER, so I will get a lie-flat, something that does not exist on Alaskan.

Finally, I am getting the best of both worlds, top AS status with complimentary upgrades on AA planes I really want to fly on. Lie-flats are a different world from regular First, which, to me, is not much better than an aisle exit row in Economy.
simonsuo and FlyerDigits like this.

Last edited by Guate87; Aug 26, 2021 at 11:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.