Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
You may be out of luck--I thought I read somewhere that the AA flights need to be booked with AA (not on AS ticket stock) in order to qualify for the AA upgrade. Let us know if you get upgraded on the AA flight.
Well I’m on the upgrade list. Was #1 out of 3. But just checked and now #2 out of 4. And inventory went down to C0 J1. I’ll update in the morning. At least I got my exit row.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by scklumb
Well I’m on the upgrade list. Was #1 out of 3. But just checked and now #2 out of 4. And inventory went down to C0 J1. I’ll update in the morning. At least I got my exit row.
Missed upgrade by 1. I was #3 of out of 5 on upgrade list. #1 and #2 got upgraded. As I was checking my bag, the ticket counter lady asked if I had checked my bag online. I said no. After she printed the bag tag, she said it was over by 5lbs. It weighed 55lbs. I said, I thought we had an allowance of 70lbs. She asked if I was in first, I said no. but I'm "Plat Pro" (that's what my boarding pass said). She looked at the bag tag and she said ohh yes it does say Plat Pro. She didn't understand why her screen was blank, not telling her any info about my status, I said I was 75k on Alaska. She just said Ohh OK and said I was all set.

So wouldn't the system have alerted her that I must Pay for the bag or do an upcharge for a heavy bag if I was not elite? Since none of that happened, I assumed she knew I was One World Emerald, but I guess not. Or when people check in on American that are One World Emerald on other carries. Does it alert the Ticket agent, that this person is One World Emerald. Or do we manually have to tell them?

Back when we reciprocal agreements for bags on American. I had to manually tell them I was Elite on Alaska. Cause they wanted to charge me every time.

Last edited by scklumb; Aug 14, 2021 at 4:38 pm
Old Aug 13, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Made it in F on AA 3180 SEA/LAX @ 1040AM today. CRJ 700. was #1 on the list since I checked in, had 5 open. Didn't get to "auto clear".
Now just hanging out at the old Delta T5 SkyClub, now an AA Admirals Lounge. SSOO much room compared to the AS T6 and AA T4 lounge, and not as packed!
CDKing likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Made it in F on AA 3180 SEA/LAX @ 1040AM today. CRJ 700. was #1 on the list since I checked in, had 5 open. Didn't get to "auto clear".
Now just hanging out at the old Delta T5 SkyClub, now an AA Admirals Lounge. SSOO much room compared to the AS T6 and AA T4 lounge, and not as packed!
Does it have the guacamole station??
Old Aug 13, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Does it have the guacamole station??
the bar tender told me later... which is fine by me, my Copa flight isn't until nearly 10pm.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:57 am

Upgraded at T-48 AUS-CLT. Flying with my dog too so having even more space compared to MCE is a big plus. It's worth noting this flight is booked with BA avios.
CDKing, haroon145 and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Upgraded at T-48 AUS-CLT. Flying with my dog too so having even more space compared to MCE is a big plus. It's worth noting this flight is booked with BA avios.
Was this flight listed with both a Alaska and American flight number aka code share? Did you book on the Avios website? If so how did you get your Alaska FF in the system?
Old Aug 15, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
All 8/14/2021

AA539 LAX-AUS B738 Upgraded at the gate. I was #1 of 3, only 2 cleared. Same gate same agent as last week. When I asked him for the upgrade, he said "hey you were here last week too" LOL. LAX T5 Admirals Club is open, very spacious and they serve avocado toast in the morning as well.

AA2198 AUS-DFW A321 REBOOKED ON ALASKA. I was #1 of 6 on the UG list. Due to DFW meltdown, UG list was down to 2 pax at 430pm when my AS flight departed.

AA2697 DFW-LAX B789 REBOOKED ON ALASKA. I was #1 of 2 on the UG list. Didn't check the list later, but I don't care. I would rather fly reliable AS on E75L than problematic AA on a 789.

Rebooked AUS-DFW-LAX AA metal to AUS-BOI-LAX on AS metal. For more details, please visit #505 of AS MVP75k upgrade post.
I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2021)
Old Aug 15, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
This was admittedly a couple of months ago – before I completed an AS status challenge – but:

6/12/21
AA 1205
DFW-AUS
Cleared at my departure city (LEX), after the gate agent called DFW directly - F was full on the LEX-DFW leg

Circumstances: I'm about 90% sure this was an anomaly based solely on the fact that the flight only had a handful of AA elites, and since it was a full flight – as well as a massively overbooked one (30 people on the standby list!) due to thunderstorms in CLT wreaking havoc on AA's entire schedule & AA inexplicably cancelling a DFW-AUS flight slated to depart about an hour earlier – I'm guessing they used my OW Sapphire status as a basis to bump me into F.

Also, this was an extremely unusual anomaly, even for someone like myself with north of 4M lifetime miles flown. We sat on the tarmac in LEX for nearly three hours due to multiple ground stops at CLT, and finally had to return to the gate since nearly everyone was connecting in Charlotte & most had already missed their flights out of CLT (and no others to their destinations were available that day). I already knew I could make it back to AUS via DFW, so I immediately switched flights after exiting the aircraft. About 10 minutes later, the gate agent came over & told me I'd been upgraded to F on the DFW-AUS leg (another first!).
simonsuo likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
8/15/21
AA4880
ORDDSM
Republic E75

Upgraded while boarding, never on the upgrade list. This was a codeshare booking. I've learned that the codeshare exception to upgrades is due to an IT issue on AA's side that they're addressing but with no ETA on the fix. So I go into everyone one of these flights happy with MCE and grateful for any surprise upgrades (I've been upgraded more often than not with nary a peep to any AAgent about an upgrade).
Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SOCguy
8/15/21
AA4880
ORDDSM
Republic E75

Upgraded while boarding, never on the upgrade list. This was a codeshare booking. I've learned that the codeshare exception to upgrades is due to an IT issue on AA's side that they're addressing but with no ETA on the fix. So I go into everyone one of these flights happy with MCE and grateful for any surprise upgrades (I've been upgraded more often than not with nary a peep to any AAgent about an upgrade).
So if you're not on the upgrade list and you don't say a word to the GA, how does the magical upgrade appear?
Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
So if you're not on the upgrade list and you don't say a word to the GA, how does the magical upgrade appear?
Honestly, she may have thrown me on the upgrade list at some point but to be clear, you can be upgraded without actually being on the list. I took one glance at the list from the AC just to see and it was empty so if I ever was on it, someone manually put me there. 75Ks on codeshares may not be automatically added to any upgrade list but we're still OWEs in AA's system. If they're looking to upgrade folks, makes sense to be a good place to start, on the list or not.
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:22 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Upgrades on American as 75k Gold?

Wondering if there's an anecdotal thread about this. I'm assuming one must buy above Basic Economy, but are there any Main Cabin fare buckets that are zero'ed for upgrades?

(As EXP and Plat Pro get priority over us, I wouldn't expect upgrades on most routes I'd fly anyway. But still worth knowing!)
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Does requesting an upgrade as a 75K take away the ability to buy up to first after purchasing a main cabin ticket? I'm assuming no, but in each of the 3 cases where I've used my AS FF number, that option is not available like normal after booking.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Gold 75K here, taking my first flights on AA in a very long time

17 August 2021
AA 1535
LAX-MIA
77W
- UPGRADED to Business about 2 days before flight
- Noticed upgrade during routine itinerary check on 15 August
- At T-48, Business Class seat map showed 20/52 seats available

18 August 2021
AA 2283
MIA-LAX
77W
- NOT upgraded; made it to #7 on upgrade list. #1 was upgraded.
- Appeared on the upgrade list automatically; did not manually request upgrades nor take any action at the gate.
- At T-72, Business Class seat map showed 5/52 seats available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.