Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Congrats on all the upgrades! Just curious...how many upgrades do you think would have been processed if you would have never said anything to the GA?
​​​​​​
Well, I think it depends on the airport. For AUS and DFW I didn't ask today, yet I got UG on both. For LAX I'm not so sure. But back in memorial day weekend I didn't ask the GA for upgrade yet I got upgraded on LAX-FLL RT. Tbh I will ask the GA anyways because it's the only way to get the seats I prefer.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
25 JULY 2021
AA 617
ORD-FAI
A 321neo
Solo
UPGRADED to F while in the Admirals Lounge, T-1 hour
Intl359Widget and simonsuo like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
July 26 2021
AA 2600
BOS-DFW
A321 w/ 20 seats

#6 of 13 for 5 seats
Upgrades were processed in order. #4 was 1 row ahead of me. He saw on app that he was upgraded and moved up. Agent came on and moved up #5 on the list.

July 26 2021
AA 2198
DFW-AUS
A321 w/20 seats

#12 of 30 for 1 seat (3 seats opened later)
Upgrades processed in order. Flight ended up delayed and extra f seats came available. 4 were upgraded total.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
July 20, 2021
AA 1379
DEN-LAX
A321 (20 seats)

Upgraded about 90 minutes before departure. I was #1 on the list, with nobody else listed.

July 20, 2021
AA 783
LAX-LAS
A321 (20 seats)

This one was a bit weird; I was showing as #5 out of 7 on the list with 14 empty seats before I left Denver. Arriving at LAX I checked and I was #1 on the list (nobody else listed) with six empty seats. I asked the agent what happened to the two below me on the list; he just said to wait a bit. Upgrade came about 35 minutes before departure.

Return was on July 23 LAS-PHX-DEN; I asked to standby on earlier flights at the gate in LAS and got on each flight about 40 minutes before departure; F was full on both LAS-PHX and PHX-DEN at that point, but I got MCE aisle seats on both legs so I wasn't too bothered.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by CDKing
July 26 2021
AA 2600
BOS-DFW
A321 w/ 20 seats
Please help me understand. You are not a Gold 75K, right? Only G75K get CU to F.

How could you know if the pax on the list were AS, AA, BA, JAL, etc.?
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:09 pm

Congrats on all the upgrades! Just curious...how many upgrades do you think would have been processed if you would have never said anything to the GA?
With 7 AA flights in the last 7 days, I have seen GA:
-Ignore the UG list, leaving open F seats on departure
-Clear Standby to Y, then UG to F
-Clear UG to F, then Standby to Y
-Clear some Standby to F, some to Y, then UG to F
-Clear UG before T-1 hour, without me asking
-Clear UG after group 8 boarded, after my 3 requests

AA IT needs to step in, create automatic processes, and empower pax.

Right now, GA are too powerful, capricious, and not pax friendly.

The main pattern I see is that AA GA do not show that they value AS G75K very highly.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Last edited by Guate87; Jul 27, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Old Jul 27, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

July 26 2021
AA 2198
DFW-AUS
A321 w/20 seats

#12 of 30 for 1 seat (3 seats opened later)
Upgrades processed in order. Flight ended up delayed and extra f seats came available. 4 were upgraded total.
Update
Flight was initially delayed due to late inbound. Delayed again because they were slow at offloading bags and adding bags. It was time to push back I heard deadheading pilot in front of me say uh oh that doesn't look good. Capitan then announced someone forgot to unplug plane from jetbridge before pulling it back. This lead to almost 40 min sitting in overheated plane waiting on maintenance to assess damage. It was minimal but engineering decided plane needed to stay for repair and we were forced off. I hauled butt 2 terminals over. I asked to be put on standby. Gate agent said I can get confirmed seat. Got my boarding pass and was back in economy plus again.

No upgrade obviously, I was not upgrade list at all. it didn't matter to me glad I got confirmed seat. Not sure if that is normal or because of One world status

Originally Posted by Guate87
Please help me understand. You are not a Gold 75K, right? Only G75K get CU to F.

How could you know if the pax on the list were AS, AA, BA, JAL, etc.?
I failed to update my profile.75k qualified at end of May.
​​​​​​​No status on upgrade list in app or at airport so no way to know status of other people
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Update
Flight was initially delayed due to late inbound. Delayed again because they were slow at offloading bags and adding bags. It was time to push back I heard deadheading pilot in front of me say uh oh that doesn't look good. Capitan then announced someone forgot to unplug plane from jetbridge before pulling it back. This lead to almost 40 min sitting in overheated plane waiting on maintenance to assess damage. It was minimal but engineering decided plane needed to stay for repair and we were forced off. I hauled butt 2 terminals over. I asked to be put on standby. Gate agent said I can get confirmed seat. Got my boarding pass and was back in economy plus again.

No upgrade obviously, I was not upgrade list at all. it didn't matter to me glad I got confirmed seat. Not sure if that is normal or because of One world status

I failed to update my profile.75k qualified at end of May.
No status on upgrade list in app or at airport so no way to know status of other people
The fact that your AS 75K # was in your reservation but you weren't even on the upgrade list is concerning...the begging the GA for an upgrade process is made more difficult if AS elites cant get on the upgrade list.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: AS MVP75K
July 27, 20201
AA3131
PSP-PHX
CJ700 (9 seats)
I didn't have hope for this one. I was #3 out of 3 on upgrade list. Person #2 on list got the only upgrade.

July 27, 2021

AA 667
PHX-MKE
A320 (12 seats)
They had J1 so one empty seat in first, and seat map showed that. #1 out of 1 on upgrade list. Got upgraded at T-1. I think they had some no shows or something cause I got that empty first class seat, but then they had 2 seats open in first. I quick checked Expert Flyer, and it showed J2. I asked if I could move to the aisle seat, and she said she is trying to seat a family together.

The PSP-PHX upgrade process seemed "normal". I was #3 on list and stayed that way. A couple of days before departure. They had about 4 seats empty out of 9. So I was hopeful, but those where filled when I checked at T-4.
The PHX-MKE did not seem "normal". A couple of days before departure, only 5 out of 12 seats taken. I checked in at T-20 and I was #3 out of 3 on list. But about 4 hours before departure. #1 & #2 where cleared and I was the solo person on the upgrade list.

The whole process seemed like I was low man on the totem pole. Another odd thing is my boarding pass, said "ADVANTAGE MBR" and I was in group 6. But I did get to select MCE exit rows (before I was upgraded), and got my free bag, like I should. Anyone else experience this?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scklumb
July 27, 20201
AA3131
PSP-PHX
CJ700 (9 seats)
I didn't have hope for this one. I was #3 out of 3 on upgrade list. Person #2 on list got the only upgrade.

July 27, 2021

AA 667
PHX-MKE
A320 (12 seats)
They had J1 so one empty seat in first, and seat map showed that. #1 out of 1 on upgrade list. Got upgraded at T-1. I think they had some no shows or something cause I got that empty first class seat, but then they had 2 seats open in first. I quick checked Expert Flyer, and it showed J2. I asked if I could move to the aisle seat, and she said she is trying to seat a family together.

The PSP-PHX upgrade process seemed "normal". I was #3 on list and stayed that way. A couple of days before departure. They had about 4 seats empty out of 9. So I was hopeful, but those where filled when I checked at T-4.
The PHX-MKE did not seem "normal". A couple of days before departure, only 5 out of 12 seats taken. I checked in at T-20 and I was #3 out of 3 on list. But about 4 hours before departure. #1 & #2 where cleared and I was the solo person on the upgrade list.

The whole process seemed like I was low man on the totem pole. Another odd thing is my boarding pass, said "ADVANTAGE MBR" and I was in group 6. But I did get to select MCE exit rows (before I was upgraded), and got my free bag, like I should. Anyone else experience this?
Did you have to ask the GA to process the upgrade? It seems like most are reporting that although you automatically added to the upgrade list by virtue of including your AS 75K #, some type of human intervention is required at the gate in order to actually process the upgrade which explains why AS elites are for sure the "low men on the totem pole" since virtually everyone else (including non-revs maybe?) has the potential to be auto-upgraded before arriving at the airport. We really are getting the upgrade "leftovers", but it's better than nothing.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Did you have to ask the GA to process the upgrade? It seems like most are reporting that although you automatically added to the upgrade list by virtue of including your AS 75K #, some type of human intervention is required at the gate in order to actually process the upgrade which explains why AS elites are for sure the "low men on the totem pole" since virtually everyone else (including non-revs maybe?) has the potential to be auto-upgraded before arriving at the airport. We really are getting the upgrade "leftovers", but it's better than nothing.
I was taking peoples advice here and got to gate 1 hour before to check with agent about upgrades. When I got to gate, I noticed she had upgraded me without me asking (push to the app). So no I didn't ask the GA to process the upgrade, but was about to.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

July 28 2021
AA 434
AUS-CLT737-800 w/ 16 seats#1 of 2 for 1 seats

Upgrades were processed in order. I was cleared just after concierge key was called for boarding. Upgraded to 1B. Legroom isn't that great. I should have asked to keep my seat in row 8 right behind f with no bulkhead and row to myself

​​​​​​July 28 2021
AA 1937
CLT-BOS
737-800 16 seats
#1 of 3 for 1 seat (at least that is what app showed an hour out.)

Almost full in back. Expertflyer showed F as full so I didn't expect to get upgraded. I went and bought a beer. 2 minutes before boarding was supposed to start I get the dreaded delay text. 90 min due to crew availability. I grabbed a room for an hour in minute suites using priority pass.

VWhen I made it to gate 40 min before new departure there was significant lineup in jetway spilling past the gate door. I was one of last to line up. After scanning BP and no upgrade I asked GA if anyone in F didn't show up. She said 2 were waiting until the end. Maybe she thought I was joking. When I finally get past the door, sure enough 2 empty seats. After I was at row 1, I could see a young lady in my seat. I think she saw me glaring at her. She mysteriously disappeared when I was at row 3. I sat down not noticing food in seatback. Guy in middle seat said someone was ready sitting there. I showed my boarding pass saying we will figure it out.

2 minutes later I see the gate agent board and she stopped and seemed shocked to see me in the seat and gave me a new boarding pass for 1E. A few minutes after i sat in my new seat, I flight attendant asked if I left my food at my seat.i said someone was in my seat. He said he thought something was up. Something about her going back to get her headphones. What thought at first was true. Seat poacher. She assumed I was a no show. Finally it was straightened out and we left.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

July 28 2021
AA 434
AUS-CLT737-800 w/ 16 seats#1 of 2 for 1 seats

Upgrades were processed in order. I was cleared just after concierge key was called for boarding. Upgraded to 1B. Legroom isn't that great. I should have asked to keep my seat in row 8 right behind f with no bulkhead and row to myself

​​​​​​July 28 2021
AA 1937
CLT-BOS
737-800 16 seats
#1 of 3 for 1 seat (at least that is what app showed an hour out.)

Almost full in back. Expertflyer showed F as full so I didn't expect to get upgraded. I went and bought a beer. 2 minutes before boarding was supposed to start I get the dreaded delay text. 90 min due to crew availability. I grabbed a room for an hour in minute suites using priority pass.

VWhen I made it to gate 40 min before new departure there was significant lineup in jetway spilling past the gate door. I was one of last to line up. After scanning BP and no upgrade I asked GA if anyone in F didn't show up. She said 2 were waiting until the end. Maybe she thought I was joking. When I finally get past the door, sure enough 2 empty seats. After I was at row 1, I could see a young lady in my seat. I think she saw me glaring at her. She mysteriously disappeared when I was at row 3. I sat down not noticing food in seatback. Guy in middle seat said someone was ready sitting there. I showed my boarding pass saying we will figure it out.

2 minutes later I see the gate agent board and she stopped and seemed shocked to see me in the seat and gave me a new boarding pass for 1E. A few minutes after i sat in my new seat, I flight attendant asked if I left my food at my seat.i said someone was in my seat. He said he thought something was up. Something about her going back to get her headphones. What thought at first was true. Seat poacher. She assumed I was a no show. Finally it was straightened out and we left.
So does row 8 in MCE have no bulkhead? Sounds like a great row but everytime I pull up a seat map, 8DE are always occupied so I am assuming they are blocked...seem like greatvseats in MCE that they are not able to sell. On flights with my family I would prefer to book row 8 but we end up having to split up in row 8 and 9.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does row 8 in MCE have no bulkhead? Sounds like a great row but everytime I pull up a seat map, 8DE are always occupied so I am assuming they are blocked...seem like greatvseats in MCE that they are not able to sell. On flights with my family I would prefer to book row 8 but we end up having to split up in row 8 and 9.
The Oasis and Kodiak reconfigured planes have soft bulkhead. It's interesting set up. Leather(ish?) piece is attached to ceiling which comes into contact with the top of the first class seat. The seat is winged so it almost looks like solid bulkhead but still leaves under seat storage. The armrests has tray table so has some reduced width.

This link has pictures that show it off well
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepoin...rst-class/amp/
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:05 pm

Not an upgrade situation but has anyone successfully utilized complimentary confirmed same day flight change on AA ticket as 75k? According to this https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp, "oneworldŽ Emerald members with elite status on Alaska Airlines" has a green checkmark for confirmed change. Any actual datapoint?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.