Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
But I asked him in post #101 if his was an award booking and he responded "yes". Post #91 seems to apply to cash bookings.
This part below applies to award bookings. (note that I booked for a "New traveler" and left FFN blank):

Originally Posted by econ
I can enter any FF# or leave blank, but the FF program can't be changed from AS.
This part below applies to cash bookings:

Originally Posted by econ
with a normal cash booking, there's a drop-down were you can select from multiple FF programs
Old Apr 11, 2021, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
But I asked him in post #101 if his was an award booking and he responded "yes". Post #91 seems to apply to cash bookings.
You have to be logged in to book an award ticket. But you need not book the award ticket for yourself, or use one of your profiled travelers.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by channa
You have to be logged in to book an award ticket. But you need not book the award ticket for yourself, or use one of your profiled travelers.
Is AS like some of the other airlines' websites in which you can add the profiles of other people (like family and other people you buy tickets for) as well as yourself? If so, I take it that one can add an additional profile for oneself and insert their AA elite FF number in it. And solve the problem one poster was complaining about OW not being as universal in its elite benefits as he wants it to be.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Is AS like some of the other airlines' websites in which you can add the profiles of other people (like family and other people you buy tickets for) as well as yourself? If so, I take it that one can add an additional profile for oneself and insert their AA elite FF number in it. And solve the problem one poster was complaining about OW not being as universal in its elite benefits as he wants it to be.
Yes, you can have multiple profiles. The primary account holder is "Myself" in the drop-down list of profiles. "Myself" doesn't have to be the first Passenger either. If you are using a companion certificate, you can make anyone else the "Primary" and add "Myself" as the secondary.

On the Account page (full website) at the bottom of the left column, click on "Personal info and companions" under the "Profile and Setting" header. You can add a companion there. That companion can be a "spitting image" of yourself sporting a different FF#.

But that isn't necessary for revenue tickets since you can change programs, on the fly, or have multiple Mileage Programs attached to your "Myself" profile. You can also disassociate a program and leave the FF# blank.

For AS award redemptions, you can't change the program from Mileage Plan, but using the "spitting image" method mentioned above (easier than entering your information each time) or entering a "New Passenger" during the booking process will allow you to leave the MP account number blank.

On the fly:

During the booking process when you get to "Checkout: Passenger information" it should be pre-populated with your "Myself" account information. To the right, the "Mileage program and number" will have your Alaska Airlines & Account number populated by default. It is a drop-down list. If you don't want to have any program associated to the itinerary, click to drop-down and select "None" from the list.

Just below that, there is a link "Add mileage program." Click, select the program & add your account number. Once saved, "Mileage program and number" with the new program will be selected. You can drop-down to select other programs or None.

Saving multiple programs to your "Myprofile"

To save your other programs to your profile for easy one-click access during booking. On the Account page (full website) at the bottom of the left column, click on "Programs" under the "Profile and Setting" header. In the right column, expand "Programs." Click +Add a partner number, select your Partner airline & add your Partner Loyalty Number, then click Save.

Now during checkout, you can quickly choose whichever program you want.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Apr 12, 2021 at 2:10 am
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Hope that helps, Flying for Fun gave you the definitive skinny. Or you can just call AS and theyll swap it in for you.

The one situation not covered is AA booking on miles, AA metal, AS status. Apparently AA wont help you there with using OAL status, but if it was, say, a QR or AS metal booking, just change the PNR on the airline you are flying, everyone in OW is either Amadeus with a separate PNR, or, in the case of AS, incompatible SABRE with a separate PNR.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I remember there is a oneworld benefits thread going on, or is it merged into this one?

Just a data point. Booked a ticket on Finnair on Economy to CPH thru HEL. Seat selection cost extra, but I can select seats (not those extra leg rooms) once chatted with the agent. Normally, they charge a fee for selecting any seat, even the middle seats.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonsuo
I remember there is a Oneworld benefits thread going on, or is it merged into this one?

Just a data point. Booked a ticket on Finnair on Economy to CPH thru HEL. Seat selection cost extra, but I can select seats (not those extra leg rooms) once chatted with the agent. Normally, they charge a fee for selecting any seat, even the middle seats.
A OW benefit for mid-top tier status (OW sapphire - emerald) is preferred seating. Each airline defines what is "preferred seating". Is generally not published.
If you booked a "basic economy" type ticket that can have restrictions.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 21, 2021 at 5:47 pm Reason: Remove circular link after merge.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just noticed something very interesting. Once the agent assigned me a seat, I can select all seats excluding their premium economy product (equivalent to PC here). However, I cannot do so on my outbound from LAX-HEL, but I can for my inbound HEL-LAX. All segments are in their O fare class, a $350 dollar ticket still earns 50% base miles! The only difference I could tell is the fare basis (outbound is OLW4T1S5 and inbound is OLX4T1S5). Both are in their Economy Classic (better than Economy Lite, worse than Economy Flex). I'll wait and see if thing will change once I'm OWE later in the year.

Outbound on AY2, all seats are locked.

Inbound on AY1, all are open other than Economy Comfort
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
My assumption is that AS will not change how they're off-loading bags to prioritize these as the 20 min guarantee is still in place and pretty quick, but instead will be useful for checking bags through to connections on OW partners that do offer priority bag service..
Strictly symbolic on my first 2 AS flights with priority tags.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 1:47 pm

No multiple oneworld partner bookings without AS flight in itinerary?

I was hoping to book an award DEN to LIM on Latam and AA. I called and eventually transferred to partner desk and was told this would not be valid (as was the case prior to joining oneworld). Seems like they should allow awards on multiple oneworld partners without AS segments.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by myleguy
I was hoping to book an award DEN to LIM on Latam and AA. I called and eventually transferred to partner desk and was told this would not be valid (as was the case prior to joining oneworld). Seems like they should allow awards on multiple oneworld partners without AS segments.
And I have no doubt they will, but as previously announced, not until later this year. Here's a good overview of all things AS/OW, if you're interested:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska-oneworld-faqs/
Old Apr 24, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LATAM is now not a OW airline. But LATAM is still a ff partner with many OW airlines
As above AS has not yet issued new award charts.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I would think that would be in the works, at least for oneworld. LA is an AS Partner and no longer in the oneworld alliance so that may preclude a mixed carrier (non AS) redemption on AS. Redemptions on all oneworld alliance carriers will come later in the year. At that time, I hope to see oneworld awards as well as RTW/Circle awards using Mileage Plan miles on multiple oneworld carriers. It should also open up redemptions to all of the alliance member's network not just to a subset that touch North America or terminate in HKG. For example, booking QF SYD-AKL (now only available with an award starting in North America), QF SYD-HKG, CX ICN-SIN, (currently 2 awards, ICN-HKG & HKG-SIN since all Inter-Asia Flights on CX terminate in HKG) BA LHR-DXB or QR MLE-PER/MEL/SYD/SIN...

Of course, what the redemptions will cost in MP Miles and if stopovers will still be permitted is unknown at this time.

In the interim, AS will include flights to the LA gateway. MCO, JFK & LAX are all served by AS. However, MIA is not. I would see if you can do an AS open jaw, through or stopover, AS into FLL & LA MIA-LIM. The other option would be a revenue flight to the gateway if flying North to go South isn't appealing.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Apr 24, 2021 at 2:54 pm
Old Apr 24, 2021, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
<snip>
At that time, I hope to see oneworld awards as well as RTW/Circle awards using Mileage Plan miles on multiple oneworld carriers
<snip>
Some, but not all OW airlines have multi carrier - multi segment distance based award product that allows stopovers. Does not need to be RTW.
For example BA and QF do ( https://www.australianfrequentflyer....e-thread.8228/ ).
AA used to an award product called "Oneworld" that created a lot of confusion with OW RTW/Circle paid tickets (*ONE*)

To me you are being very optimistic is hoping AS will introduce an "RTW" type award product
Old Apr 24, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I just made an award reservation on AS using AS miles. I waited until it was ticketed and went back in and tried to change my FF number to AA so as a OW Sapphire I could select premium seats. No way to change the FF number. Maybe this process just won't work when booking a reservation using AS miles. All OW benefits are lost then?
I just found the answer to my own question. I made an award booking using AS miles. I called AS after it was ticketed and they changed my AS FF number to my AA number. It took two calls to do this as it didn't allow me to select priority seats initially. On the 2nd call to AS I found out that they have to completely delate my AS number and then put in my AA number., The record can't have 2 FF numbers in it. So problem solved and now I know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.