Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA take a dim view on cherry picking status benefits and changing FFN. AS may have the same policy.
From Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Earning AAdvantage Miles

"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."
Wow. That first one I totally get, agree with, and follow myself even if it's not the official rule. The second is a bit absurd. So if I use my own (say) BA miles to purchase an AA ticket and I have AA elite status, I can't use my AA elite benefits? But if my partner used their BA miles to purchase an AA ticket, presumably I could? That doesn't make any sense.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Cash paid flight?

Finnair AY manage booking is the common way in OW to change ffp in a reservation. QR Qatar may also work.

AA take a dim view on cherry picking status benefits and changing FFN. AS may have the same policy.
From Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)
AS MP TA&C are here:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...and-conditions

The relevant language is significantly less strict in one respect (does not have a term saying "you can't use AS elite status with OAL award ticket"), just standard "pick one and only one program":

The member's Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number must appear in the reservation such that mileage accrued for that flight will be credited to the member's Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account, before MVP or MVP Gold benefits, including First Class upgrades, may be used on that flight. Any changes made after such benefits are used may result in forfeiture of such benefits.
A member who is enrolled in more than one airline's frequent flyer program may not receive mileage credit in more than one frequent flyer program for the same activity. Members must identify the frequent flyer program in which he/she wishes to accrue miles for a particular itinerary at the time of initial booking. For example, if a member flies with one of Alaska Airlines' partner carriers, the member may elect to receive mileage credit in either the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan or in the other airline's plan, but must make such election and notify the operating carrier when the booking is made. Any changes made after initial booking may result in changes to eligibility and receipt of such benefits
I did not find it problematic to use my AS MVPG status on a CX-booked ticket on BA to select seats.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I did not find it problematic to use my AS MVPG status on a CX-booked ticket on BA to select seats.
When you say CX-booked, do you mean an award flight using CX FF miles? And usually this "double-dipping" issue only is a problem if one is trying to get a complimentary upgrade when technically they shouldn't. Because there are people who are AA elites (and also OWS/OWE with BA) who book, ticket, and get upgraded as AA elites on an AA domestic flight, and then show up at the AC/FL with their BAEC card, and are let in. And I think this is not a problem in their eyes because AA gets re-imbursed by BA for that entry.

On the other hand, if that same person books a flight on AA but uses their BAEC number so it credits to BA, and then tries to enter their AA FF number in order to score a complimentary upgrade, that's the red line that they tend to draw in the sand. More so, because BA isn't going to give AA any money for that upgraded seat, while AA has to pay BA for the FF miles being credited into that BAEC account..

Last edited by Fanjet; Apr 6, 2021 at 1:09 am
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Priority baggage report

Flew PDX-SEA-ANC last night in paid F as a 75K.

Agent at the F check in desk at PDX didn’t put the orange OW priority tag on my luggage, although the barcode on the actual tag did have a small “priority” on it.

On arrival at ANC, no priority bag delivery, and only a couple of bags on the carousel actually had the orange OW priority tags. Took over 30 minutes to get my luggage, so I was able to get the 2500 mile bonus.

In other words, business as usual.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
If access to QF F and OW J(QF managed) is abused things could change.
Anyway QF has parked until mid 2023 the only aircraft they have with F (A380), so QF has no F pax for that lounge. The QF F lounge is closed. When that F lounge will reopen is anyone's guess. QF will not flying to USA until late Oct at very best.
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LAX
Here is a recent article from the Executive Traveller website that covers QF extensively (Australia based) that discusses the matter. And since they get paid for access by other OW partner airlines, they don't need to necessarily offer F to open an F Lounge outside of Australia, such as LAX, if it makes commercial sense, for OWEs and perhaps AA, BA and CX First flyers if travel corridors open up.

From https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...lounges-reopen :

" "We'll reopen our international lounges as soon as there's enough commercial demand, particularly at Sydney and Melbourne, if they're the likely Australian ports" for travel bubbles, Qantas Chief Customer Officer Stephanie Tully enthused to Executive Travellerin December 2020."
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone else receive the email from AS recently about MVPG75K benefits? It includes the following line:

"And to celebrate our enhanced partnership, American would also like to take your global experience to the next level by offering you a limited-time international upgrade opportunity. Watch your email inbox for details."

Would be a real treat—and completely unexpected and wildly generous—if AS/AA gave 75Ks some sort of SWU to use on AA.
ItsAnAdam likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
When you say CX-booked, do you mean an award flight using CX FF miles?
Yes, it's an AsiaMiles booking. (AM ordinarily has lower YQ going USA->Europe on BA and similar mileage prices to AA/AS, and unlike them, accepts flexible currencies like MR.)

Originally Posted by Fanjet
And usually this "double-dipping" issue only is a problem if one is trying to get a complimentary upgrade when technically they shouldn't.
The language that AA has in their T&Cs indicates that they don't want you to book AA using BA/AS/whoever miles and then use an AA FFN to get status benefits on top of the booking, which could be considerable: extra luggage allowance, club access, better Y seats, even an upgrade if you're EP, etc.

AS doesn't have similar language.

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Anyone else receive the email from AS recently about MVPG75K benefits? It includes the following line:

"And to celebrate our enhanced partnership, American would also like to take your global experience to the next level by offering you a limited-time international upgrade opportunity. Watch your email inbox for details."

Would be a real treat—and completely unexpected and wildly generous—if AS/AA gave 75Ks some sort of SWU to use on AA.
Both my Partner & I received the email this morning. We are both 75K.

Upgrade "opportunity," to me, suggests there is something attached; perhaps Miles or Dollars.
I'll happily cash in our 28 GGUs for some SWUs if that is the "opportunity!"

James
PDXFlyBoy, DMPHL and NoLaGent like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
booked a BA award today using AS miles (75k/emerald here). When I looked up the reservation on BA.com, I wasn't able to select seats for free. What I did was, select manage booking and I added my AS number manually, did all this through the BA app. Once I saved that, I went back to seatmap and was able to select seats for free.

have you tried adding your As number in the reservation through the BA site/app?
has anyone successfully gone this with an AA award using AS miles, either by the AA or AY websites/apps?

ETA -
1) cannot change FF# in AY site. Maybe will work later on if AY has to do some programming to recognize AS ticketed flights
2) cannot change in AA app or Website
3) additional problem: Trusted Traveler number not passed for companion even though it's in her AS profile. Mine was there (miles out of my account).

Last edited by beachfan; Apr 6, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I am AA Platinum (OW Sapphire). I entered my AA # into my AS reservation when making it. It does not allow me to select seats in the priority seating area. Any ideas how to do this? Also, same circumstances but I want to get AS miles for the trip but want my OW Sapphire privileges (priority seating and priority boarding). How is that done?
I have a similar issue with my BA number. When I look at the seat availability before choosing a flight then the Alaska / Oneworld Elite section is wide open but when I go to purchase and enter my BA number then everything is shown as unavailable or occupied. I am sure it's just teething issues that will sort themselves out in due course but it's a little frustrating.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Here is a recent article from the Executive Traveller website that covers QF extensively (Australia based) that discusses the matter. And since they get paid for access by other OW partner airlines, they don't need to necessarily offer F to open an F Lounge outside of Australia, such as LAX, if it makes commercial sense, for OWEs and perhaps AA, BA and CX First flyers if travel corridors open up.
Yes. The QF F lounge at LAX gets used by passengers travelling in F on all of the other OW carriers offering it out of LAX. In addition to the OWE flying out on those flights booked in other cabins. And I think LAX is an airport where OW would definitely want a first class lounge to be available (once things get back to normal). As Star Alliance operates its own first class lounge at LAX in the TBIT.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Geordie405
I have a similar issue with my BA number. When I look at the seat availability before choosing a flight then the Alaska / Oneworld Elite section is wide open but when I go to purchase and enter my BA number then everything is shown as unavailable or occupied. I am sure it's just teething issues that will sort themselves out in due course but it's a little frustrating.
Make the booking and then come back a few minutes later.

https://viewfromthewing.com/the-comp...aska-airlines/

In order to access Premium Class seats, American’s elites cannot reserve them during the booking process – they need to make the booking, wait for the ticket to issue and their status to register in Alaska’s systems (generally a few minuts [sic]) and then select their seats if eligible. Choosing a premium class seat prior to ticketing results in a charge for that seat.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS

https://viewfromthewing.com/the-comp...aska-airlines/
THANK YOU, THANK YOU. At last a solution !!
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

[i]In order to access Premium Class seats, American’s elites cannot reserve them during the booking process – they need to make the booking, wait for the ticket to issue and their status to register in Alaska’s systems (generally a few minuts [sic]) and then select their seats if eligible. Choosing a premium class seat prior to ticketing results in a charge for that seat.
That is interesting since the opposite is not true. Making a dummy booking today on AA, as a guest with my AS FF#, I was able to select MCE seats during the booking process, without fee, before the payment screen.

James
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That is interesting since the opposite is not true. Making a dummy booking today on AA, as a guest with my AS FF#, I was able to select MCE seats during the booking process, without fee, before the payment screen.

James
Is anyone shocked that AS's implementation's a little rough around the edges? I'm sure not. (stares in AS award calendar)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.