Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I haven't been able to get a solid answer yet regarding overweight baggage waivers for oneworld Emerald. Has anyone else? AS has the third bag free waiver clearly posted, but it's not clear if they are waiving the overweight fees as AA and others do.

It would definitely be interesting if AS waived overweight fees up to 100 pounds, as they currently don't have a price difference between 51-70 pounds and 71-100 pounds.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm looking to book an AA award using AS miles. I am AA Plat Pro/OWE but it seems my only option in the Frequent Flyer number field is for AS's number (even when booking for another person).

I know with Iberia, the trick is to book it as guest and it allows you to put in your AA #. That gave me a bigger bag allowance.

Any similar workarounds here?
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
71-100 pounds.
Are you sure they even take it? I'm flying tomorrow and can stop by at the check-in and ask. But one thing I know is, no airlines will waive the overweight fee (70+ pounds) regardless of cabin and status, same applies to oversize fee. And many airlines will specifically ask you go to cargo. But if it is just a tiny bit over, it is up to the airport discretion if they will take it or not.
As of the 50-70 pounds, premium cabin and status should do, but give them a call to make sure.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
I haven't been able to get a solid answer yet regarding overweight baggage waivers for oneworld Emerald. Has anyone else? AS has the third bag free waiver clearly posted, but it's not clear if they are waiving the overweight fees as AA and others do.

It would definitely be interesting if AS waived overweight fees up to 100 pounds, as they currently don't have a price difference between 51-70 pounds and 71-100 pounds.
The weight limit remains 50 pounds to check for free and a charge for 51-100 pounds. On AS, OWE allows you to check an additional bag free of charge but 50 pounds is the per piece free weight limit. If there was a waiver for bags 51-70 pounds, it'd be listed on alaskaair.com.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Still can't select seats on a BA flight, but it's a weird booking (BA flight booked via AA in person at a ticket office with AS FF# associated) so I can't swap around FF#s online. Will just have to wait and see if it filters through eventually, or I suppose I could call
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Unsure whether this is the correct thread for this. I received those personalized texts from American Premium Services that AA Elites were reported to be receiving prior to their flights/arrival at the airport. This was definitely different compared with the generic text updates that I had received before when flying on AA the past couple months. As I had already been upgraded, there wasn't really much that I would have needed assistance with, but I wonder if this will be more standard especially with what AA elites have gotten from this such as blocking the seat next to them for their flight.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by SOCguy
The weight limit remains 50 pounds to check for free and a charge for 51-100 pounds. On AS, OWE allows you to check an additional bag free of charge but 50 pounds is the per piece free weight limit. If there was a waiver for bags 51-70 pounds, it'd be listed on alaskaair.com.
That's definitely unfortunate, given that other oneworld airlines including AA give both an extra piece and overweight as a benefit. Hopefully this changes in the future, as keeping my Pelican 1620 cases under 50 pounds can be tough!
VirtuousKangaroo likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:33 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by zymm
Still can't select seats on a BA flight, but it's a weird booking (BA flight booked via AA in person at a ticket office with AS FF# associated) so I can't swap around FF#s online. Will just have to wait and see if it filters through eventually, or I suppose I could call
booked a BA award today using AS miles (75k/emerald here). When I looked up the reservation on BA.com, I wasn't able to select seats for free. What I did was, select manage booking and I added my AS number manually, did all this through the BA app. Once I saved that, I went back to seatmap and was able to select seats for free.

have you tried adding your As number in the reservation through the BA site/app?
Klrduks likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's definitely unfortunate, given that other oneworld airlines including AA give both an extra piece and overweight as a benefit. Hopefully this changes in the future, as keeping my Pelican 1620 cases under 50 pounds can be tough!
To say that "other oneworld airlines including AA give both an extra piece and overweight as a benefit", is not what is stated on the OW web site. No mention of overweight.
Some airlines give more than OW benefits to their own and others with mid-top status.
***Extra baggage allowance for Sapphire frequent flyers

As a Sapphire frequent flyer, the following special checked baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:
  • On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "weight" system - 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy Class baggage allowance.
  • On international itineraries, that include domestic sectors, using the baggage allowance “piece” system – one additional bag*, weighing up to 23kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.
  • On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, for tickets with no ticketed baggage entitlement - the assurance of one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs.
Customers travelling in First and Business Class cabins will, in most cases, receive an even greater free checked baggage allowance.

Note: This benefit is not available on British Airways’ 'Hand Baggage Only/Basic' fares.

*In accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld airline operating the flight. **Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways.

Exceptions may apply.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
booked a BA award today using AS miles (75k/emerald here). When I looked up the reservation on BA.com, I wasn't able to select seats for free. What I did was, select manage booking and I added my AS number manually, did all this through the BA app. Once I saved that, I went back to seatmap and was able to select seats for free.

have you tried adding your As number in the reservation through the BA site/app?
Having the same issues with existing Qatar reservations (MVP 75K). I went on the Qatar site, deleted my AS number, saved, logged out, then did the reverse. Still unable to select our seats without paying. I twittered Qatar and got an answer saying they had updated my status, so I waited a day then retried. Nothing. Called AS partner desk and they worked on it for about 30 minutes, said they went through the Qatar desk to update the numbers, but still not able to select seats. Anyone have some real-time experience with their Qatar itineraries? We want to book our Q suite seats and the meet-n-greet service!
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Part of the problem is that you are referring to "overweight" and part is that you are confusing OW with AA. As an EXP you get an allowance of 70 pounds when flying AA. But, that has nothing to do with OW. Some carriers provide their own elites with extra bags and a 70 pound allowance and others do not.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Geordie405

I am definitely looking forward to being able to use my OW benefits when flying AS, as well as finally earning tier points for eligible flights. For other BAEC members who may be wondering I did look at BA's website today and the TP earning calculator confirms that we'll be earning TPs for AS flights.
However, it appears that AS flights will not earn the 25/50/100 percent BAEC elite bonus like AA flights do. Which is a good bonus because it's based on the actual flight miles, not on the percentage of flight miles earned on cheap fares (the way AA does it).
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by atcanobbio

I have, but it errors out, I think because the ticket wasn't purchased online. I can't manually add/change the FF# on any OneWorld airline website/app. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice, especially for the LHR-LAS leg. I'll probably get around to calling at some point.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I am AA Platinum (OW Sapphire). I entered my AA # into my AS reservation when making it. It does not allow me to select seats in the priority seating area. Any ideas how to do this? Also, same circumstances but I want to get AS miles for the trip but want my OW Sapphire privileges (priority seating and priority boarding). How is that done?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I am AA Platinum (OW Sapphire). I entered my AA # into my AS reservation when making it. It does not allow me to select seats in the priority seating area. Any ideas how to do this? Also, same circumstances but I want to get AS miles for the trip but want my OW Sapphire privileges (priority seating and priority boarding). How is that done?
Cash paid flight?

Finnair AY manage booking is the common way in OW to change ffp in a reservation. QR Qatar may also work.

AA take a dim view on cherry picking status benefits and changing FFN. AS may have the same policy.
From Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)
Earning AAdvantage Miles

"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.