Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
Alaska's airline partner page now has earning charts for all oneworld members, effective today. They all explicitly say that flights marketed by that airline and operated by any oneworld airline earn according to the marketing airline's chart. That, to me, is one of the bigger benefits of AS joining oneworld; no more operating in a grey area (having to email in boarding passes and only earning miles because AS usually waived their rules when asked in this situation) to earn miles on flights marketed by one AS partner and operated by another (among oneworld partners).

EQMs range from 25% in deepest discount coach on most (JL bottoms out at 30%) oneworld partners to 300% for BA F. However, outside of BA, it looks like the most generous EQM earning in J/F is 200% on most airlines and as low as 125% (IB).
Except CX and oneworld connect FJ. Both earn on Marketed & Operated flights only, no codeshares.

Earnings will be based on the Marketing Carrier, not the Operating Carrier. If AA is marketing a good J fare on BA metal, you will earn 150% EQM as per the AA charts (flight number starts with AAxxxx) not 150% EQM + 100% Bonus RDM as per the BA charts. (flight number does not start with BAxxxx)

When AS allowed credit upon a manual request when both the Marketing Carrier & the Operating Carrier were AS partners, credit was based on the Operating Carrier.

James
davistev likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Mar 31, 2021 at 4:38 pm
Old Mar 31, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
So QF F Lounge @ LAX when traveling on AS to CR as a OWE...woo-hoo! That is most assuredly worth the trek to TBIT.

I may need to book this for Q1 of '22, we shall see.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The OW J lounge @ LAX isn't a slouch either (and would be accessible for an MVPG). Ditto AA's FL in T4.

Another lounge use case: before AS OW entry, CX J/F connecting to AS F on an award through LAX wouldn't get you into the QF F lounge, OW J lounge, or AA's LAX FL, just the AS lounge in T6 based on OW class of service lounge access rules coming off of longhauls (even if you didn't hold OW status). Now it does.
If access to QF F and OW J(QF managed) is abused things could change.
Anyway QF has parked until mid 2023 the only aircraft they have with F (A380), so QF has no F pax for that lounge. The QF F lounge is closed. When that F lounge will reopen is anyone's guess. QF will not flying to USA until late Oct at very best.
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LAX
Old Mar 31, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Anyway QF has parked until mid 2023 the only aircraft they have with F (A380), so QF has no F pax for that lounge. The QF F lounge is closed. When that F lounge will reopen is anyone's guess. QF will not flying to USA until late Oct at very best.
Absolutely, hence my caveat at the end.

Frankly, I think they'll adopt the true definition of "North America", which includes CR. Time will tell.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The AA Flagship Lounge in T4 is pretty nice and it's not quite as far a walk (and most AS CR-bound pax with OW lounge access will be in T6's Alaska Lounge since it's not half a mile from the gate like T4 or 3/4s of a mile away like TBIT is).

Absolutely, hence my caveat at the end.

Frankly, I think they'll adopt the true definition of "North America", which includes CR. Time will tell.
Right now AA is allowing lounge access on all Mexico/Canada flights (significantly more generous than AS), so the deviation is interesting but may not be a big deal unless AS starts doing more Central American flying.

If anything AS having to cover any AS MVPG/75K pax in the AL for SJO/LIR flights is probably going to change the policy more than the occasional lounge-crazed FTer who is hankering for salt and pepper squid or a shower.
ACBLtd, ashill and NoLaGent like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The sapphire lounge across the hallway is much less appealing and will be crowded, along with the * and Sky lounges at TBIT. Probably the only nice lounge within reach is the Amex or AA's Flagship at T4.
Anyone knows who will occupy the lounges at the upcoming Midfield terminal just further west to TBIT? The airport map seem to show there will be 2 lounges, 1 at each floor.
Edit: One of them will be an Air France lounge source https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...7743#p22647503

Last edited by simonsuo; Mar 31, 2021 at 6:13 pm
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The AA Flagship Lounge in T4 is pretty nice and it's not quite as far a walk (and most AS CR-bound pax with OW lounge access will be in T6's Alaska Lounge since it's not half a mile from the gate like T4 or 3/4s of a mile away like TBIT is).

Right now AA is allowing lounge access on all Mexico/Canada flights (significantly more generous than AS), so the deviation is interesting but may not be a big deal unless AS starts doing more Central American flying.

If anything AS having to cover any AS MVPG/75K pax in the AL for SJO/LIR flights is probably going to change the policy more than the occasional lounge-crazed FTer who is hankering for salt and pepper squid or a shower.
I feel very seen at the moment. ;-)

And I hadn't even thought about the addition of elites in the AL T6 with CR, but that's a valid point, albeit a manageable # for those flights? Food for thought.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Except CX and oneworld connect FJ. Both earn on Marketed & Operated flights only, no codeshares.
Hadn't noticed CX; that's odd. I wonder if it's deliberate or just a mistake, something they failed to change from the pre-oneworld rules? (There are a lot of changes today; easy to see something getting missed!) They're explicit that FJ oneworld Connect recognition will come later, though.

But why would it change with AS joining oneworld? AA has had the exact same lounge access rules for a very long time (decades) and has temporarily made them considerably more generous this year (as others noted). It's not like the AS service to Costa Rica from LAX is a huge increase in lounge-eligible passengers, and it will be an even-smaller increase in lounge-eligible passengers who actually make the trek over to TBIT. Assuming the AS flights aren't right at peak lounge times (haven't checked the schedule), I don't see why QF wouldn't happily take the bit of lounge access fees AS presumably pays as the operating carrier of the flight.

Maybe, but again, AA has had the same rules for a long time, and if AS wanted to use different rules than AA (which would have made sense – I expected AS to simply exclude their entire network (itineraries within true North America from oneworld lounge access rules), I would think the simplest time to do so would have been today, not starting with the AA rules and then changing them later.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Hadn't noticed CX; that's odd. I wonder if it's deliberate or just a mistake, something they failed to change from the pre-oneworld rules? (There are a lot of changes today; easy to see something getting missed!) They're explicit that FJ oneworld Connect recognition will come later, though.

But why would it change with AS joining oneworld? AA has had the exact same lounge access rules for a very long time (decades) and has temporarily made them considerably more generous this year (as others noted). It's not like the AS service to Costa Rica from LAX is a huge increase in lounge-eligible passengers, and it will be an even-smaller increase in lounge-eligible passengers who actually make the trek over to TBIT. Assuming the AS flights aren't right at peak lounge times (haven't checked the schedule), I don't see why QF wouldn't happily take the bit of lounge access fees AS presumably pays as the operating carrier of the flight.

Maybe, but again, AA has had the same rules for a long time, and if AS wanted to use different rules than AA (which would have made sense – I expected AS to simply exclude their entire network (itineraries within true North America from oneworld lounge access rules), I would think the simplest time to do so would have been today, not starting with the AA rules and then changing them later.
I remember a similar loophole with UA and the Polaris Lounges, it was closed soon after.

But I think the simplest thing from a tech standpoint is what they did, match AA on Sabre re:OW programming and flip the switch. Of course it's far more involved than that, but the platform is where it begins.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Checked my BA reservation today.. unable to select seats without the exorbitant fees as MVPG. Will check back tomorrow, then if still unable will jump hoops to remove and re-enter frequent flyer number and try again.
rxgeek likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by spgaston
Checked my BA reservation today.. unable to select seats without the exorbitant fees as MVPG. Will check back tomorrow, then if still unable will jump hoops to remove and re-enter frequent flyer number and try again.

Go to https://www.finnair.com/au/gb/manage-booking-login, look up booking via confirmation code, and add your AS ffn. This will jumpstart the process. Log out, go back in to BA, and see what happens. It took me half day for the system to kick in and not give me an error code, but now my flights are all with confirmed seats
ACBLtd and mildfrequence like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by bon mot
Go to https://www.finnair.com/au/gb/manage-booking-login, look up booking via confirmation code, and add your AS ffn. This will jumpstart the process. Log out, go back in to BA, and see what happens. It took me half day for the system to kick in and not give me an error code, but now my flights are all with confirmed seats
I went to Finnair, deleted my ffn, logged out. Went back to Finnair and re-added it there. Logged out. Went to BA and the ffn is not there at all. Should I re-add on BA too?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to Finnair, deleted my ffn, logged out. Went back to Finnair and re-added it there. Logged out. Went to BA and the ffn is not there at all. Should I re-add on BA too?
Give it some time
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
It should have cross-populated, but as Mwenenzi suggested, give it a chance to recognize it before adding it back in manually.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:11 pm

Give it some time
Originally Posted by bon mot
It should have cross-populated, but as Mwenenzi suggested, give it a chance to recognize it before adding it back in manually.
Yep, came back an hour or so later and it was there and I was able to select seats. Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:00 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Any idea when the redemption charts for OW will be available ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.