FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2036787-membership-oneworld-alliance-benefits-policies-problems.html)

Kacee Feb 24, 2023 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean (Post 35039631)
Because SQ is not in OW, I take it. But going say JL to Tokyo would be okay?

Yes. You don't have a OW international flight. A JL departure would get you into all of the OW lounges, including QF F.

Originally Posted by vanillabean (Post 35039631)
Or as I was just reminded, the Centurion lounge 3 hour rule doesn't apply to layovers?

That's my understanding as well.

BarryAZ Feb 24, 2023 9:58 pm

One curious thing I have noted -- arranging flights from Phoenix to London. If far enough out, one can get Business class on British Airways. But one can NEVER get Business Class flights on AA via miles from Phoenix to London.

Those flights are available with miles on the American Airline site.

I suspect this may be due to the Alaska miles configuration not supporting variable miles to get American Airlines Business class -- which typically run from 110K miles to REALLY high numbers while Alaska only has a single mileage award number.

Bballfan28 Jul 16, 2023 11:56 pm

Soho Lounge Access

Hi All,

hoping for someone to clear this up for me.

I am a OW Emerald and will be flying SEA—>JFK (Alaska), then JFK—>Bermuda (American).

I was initially under the impression I would not get lounge access, as I thought short haul international to the Caribbean was excluded. But after reading the OW rules, Alaska’s site and the Soho lounge site…I am confused.

Could anyone clarify for me?

thanks!

ashill Jul 17, 2023 12:52 am

Are you oneworld Emerald through a US-based airline or through any other oneworld airline? If US-based, no status-based lounge access on that routing. If through another airline, yes lounge access on this or any other itinerary.

(Note that the AS flight longer than 2100 miles will get you Alaska Lounge access if you’re in paid first class, but that has nothing to do with status or even oneworld.)

econ Jul 17, 2023 2:25 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 35419617)
If US-based, no status-based lounge access on that routing.

I believe AA OWE/OWS would get access to the AC at JFK on that itinerary.

ashill Jul 17, 2023 6:33 am

Originally Posted by econ (Post 35419718)
I believe AA OWE/OWS would get access to the AC at JFK on that itinerary.

Right. Both AA and AS would:

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP GOLD 100K, 75K, and MVP GOLD members may access oneworld lounges when travelling to somewhere outside of the U.S., Canada, or Mexico.

Effective 1 April 2021, American Airlines First and Business Class customers, as well as American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members will be eligible for lounge access to AA Admirals Clubs when travelling on an AA operated international flight.
So that reads to me as AS (or other non-AA oneworld) Emeralds should get Alaska Lounge or Soho Lounge access, whereas AA Emeralds should AC access only.

econ Jul 17, 2023 10:01 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 35420094)
So that reads to me as AS (or other non-AA oneworld) Emeralds should get Alaska Lounge or Soho Lounge access, whereas AA Emeralds should AC access only.

I doubt Soho. AA website says that only Flagship and/or long-haul routes qualify for AA/AS OWEs.

Bballfan28 Jul 17, 2023 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 35420740)
I doubt Soho. AA website says that only Flagship and/or long-haul routes qualify for AA/AS OWEs.

That is what I thought initially. Seems to be a carve out from OW overall lounge policy.Enjoy access if you’re an eligible status member departing, arriving or connecting on a qualifying same-day international flight marketed and operated by American, a oneworld® airline or marketed by JetBlue and operated by American.

Eligible status members

Get access if you’re:
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
  • AAdvantage Platinum Pro®
  • MVP Gold 75K

On a qualifying flight

Flagship® International

Seats ticketed as Flagship® between the U.S. and:
  • Asia
  • Australia
  • Europe
  • Middle East
  • New Zealand
  • South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname and Venezuela)

oneworld® long-haul flights

Any flight marketed and operated by a oneworld®airline between the U.S. and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Australia
  • Europe
  • Middle East
  • New Zealand
  • South America

Xrayman Sep 11, 2023 8:24 pm

100K and bought a ticket on AA site from MKE to SDF via CLT for this week. There is a flight that connects via ORD same day. Does AA have any SDC benefits for Oneworld elites?? Just curious. Would they let me pay the fair difference ? It’s a shorter connection and arrives 2 hours earlier.

ashill Sep 11, 2023 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman (Post 35572379)
100K and bought a ticket on AA site from MKE to SDF via CLT for this week. There is a flight that connects via ORD same day. Does AA have any SDC benefits for Oneworld elites?? Just curious. Would they let me pay the fair difference ? It’s a shorter connection and arrives 2 hours earlier.

From a 15 second DuckDuckGo search: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 100K, MVP Gold 75K: Same day confirmed for no fee (a benefit for AA and Alaska Emeralds only, not other oneworld Emeralds). But

Your new flight must:
  • Depart on the same day, from and to the same airports, as your original flight
  • Have the same number of stops, in the same airports, as your original flight
  • Be operated by American Airlines or American Eagle

econ Sep 11, 2023 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 35572508)
Same day confirmed for no fee (a benefit for AA and Alaska Emeralds only, not other oneworld Emeralds).

Unfortunately for OP, this part is also relevant:

No changes to depart / arrival airports, number of flight segments, connection cities or from a through flight to a connecting or nonstop flight

ashill Sep 11, 2023 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 35572535)
Unfortunately for OP, this part is also relevant:

Yes, as stated in what I quoted.

econ Sep 11, 2023 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 35572553)
Yes, as stated in what I quoted.

Ah, you're right. The part in the T&C makes it explicit about the connecting points not changing, but agree it's covered above.

Also note, SDC inventory availability on AA isn't as generous as it is on AS.

mfolf Sep 13, 2023 6:16 pm

So I'm curious, will AS eventually be coerced into ditching mileage-based earnings in favor of pure spend in order to match with Avios and others?

Xrayman Sep 13, 2023 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 35572564)
Ah, you're right. The part in the T&C makes it explicit about the connecting points not changing, but agree it's covered above.

Also note, SDC inventory availability on AA isn't as generous as it is on AS.

Any ability to cancel the flight and receive credit to be able to use for future? Anything similar to my wallet like AS?