Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

oneworld Lounges When Traveling Internationally

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

oneworld Lounges When Traveling Internationally

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
For those of you saying there is no pot of gold at the end of the oneworld rainbow, as a flyer who spends half the year in TPE (in non Covid times) visiting HKG, KUL, SIN, and TYO often, I beg to disagree.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
JL First at NRT.
HND is, arguably, better and has recently been renovated during 2020. Granted JL lounges, pale in comparison to CX across the board, the HND one is the nicest and now flagship of the lot.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ACBLtd
TYO: AA NRT AC is okay, but JL F is super nice. Great food, lots of different comfortable places to sit. Very quiet. Most people observe the no mobile phones signs. Used to have
good massages, but I believe they've been discontinued. HND has been renovated since my last visit; I believe the massage chairs which replaced the human massages are no longer available. The best thing about automated body pummeling is that unless there is a lineup, I have no qualms about pushing the button for additional pummeling. Both have freshly-made sushi during certain hours, and IIRC NRT has a ramen restaurant too.
HND, not to mention the self pour champagne and the shoe shiner in the back, I'd sometimes bring an extra pair of shoes to get touched up on long layovers.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by safari ari
HND, not to mention the self pour champagne and the shoe shiner in the back, I'd sometimes bring an extra pair of shoes to get touched up on long layovers.
Are they offering free massage and sushi bar at HND?

Maybe outside of Japan CX has an edge but their lounge at NRT?? CX might be the best in NBO 15 years ago.. 😉
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Are they offering free massage and sushi bar at HND?

Maybe outside of Japan CX has an edge but their lounge at NRT?? CX might be the best in NBO 15 years ago.. 😉
Sushi bar was supposed to be implemented as well as a new ramen bar, unfortunately was planning to go right after but 2020 happened. The CX lounge in HND still follows the similar service/style of CX outstations as a whole, also considering the CX lounge in HND is only a true J. CX J > JL J in HND, for me personally. I meant more outside of Japan which is where JL lacks, visit the lounge in SFO and you'll run down the hallway to CX every time.
ACBLtd and mixmastermark like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
i thought this is about AS 75ks using their new oneworld emerald benefits to access first class lounges. guess those will go to AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems when it opens.
can't wait when I schedule to unlock 75k in the next few months, and check off those lounges in 2022. Most likely the QF at LAX, CX at HKG, JL at HND, QR at DOH, BA at LHR. Lounge visit is my favorite part of travel.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by simonsuo
i thought this is about AS 75ks using their new oneworld emerald benefits to access first class lounges. guess those will go to AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems when it opens.
can't wait when I schedule to unlock 75k in the next few months, and check off those lounges in 2022. Most likely the QF at LAX, CX at HKG, JL at HND, QR at DOH, BA at LHR. Lounge visit is my favorite part of travel.
Alert: some of these lounges are closed and some rules have been covid-modified, but this is what the policies were pre-covid.

I am also a lounge fan. I would rather book a longer layover and hang out in the lounge than book a tight connection and worry about having to be rebooked during IRROPS. That being said, I believe alliance-wide treatment of elites or J/F pax during irrops has been a consistent and valuable benefit to me. Anyone can treat you well when things go as planned; it's how they treat you when things go sideways (not literally I hope) that shows their customer service commitment.

Caveat about QR DOH. There is an exception in the oneworld access rules for special lounges not to be included in the lounge offering. This includes BA Concorde Room, which really was a lounge just for Concorde passengers at one point. Now with no such equipment, the CCR is a BA Flounge just for pax flying BA First, separate from the Galleries First lounge. IMO, Galleries F is awfully nice, although I look forward to visiting the CCR on a trip someday. My last visit there was nearly 20 years ago, and I don't remember much about it.

QR has taken this policy to an extreme. At DOH, they have fancy Business and First lounges for QR business and first class passengers (al-Mourjan and al-Safwa). They also have rather mundane first and business class lounges available for OW pax who are otherwise eligible for lounge access through status. Not only that, I believe that QR is one of the carriers who have gone to "unbundled" business class fares where the cheapest fares no longer include (fancy) lounge access.

I know that QR is not catering to people like me who achieve status on the cheap, but it really feels like complying with the letter of the OW rules rather than the spirit. The only thing I can do is take my business elsewhere in the alliance.
eponymous_coward and simonsuo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.