Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Policy for and Processing of MVPG 75K Upgrades on AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ACBLtd

Extra Legroom Seating

Mileage Plan elite members have complimentary access to select extra legroom seats – known as Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seating – on American Airlines flights. No fare class restrictions apply, but seating is subject to availability. There is no waitlist for Main Cabin Extra seats.

Upgrades on American AirlinesMVP Gold 75K members are eligible for complimentary upgrades when traveling on American Airlines flights. Upgrades are within the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin or Premium Economy to the next class of service.

These complimentary space-available upgrades are for MVP Gold 75K members and 1 companion booked in the same reservation on the day of departure, at or after check-in. Flights must be on American marketed and operated flights.

Coming Soon - even more upgrade benefits

Domestic upgrade enhancements

Later in 2021, MVP Gold 75K members will be automatically added to the upgrade waitlist for eligible American Airlines flights and eligible to clear as soon as 72 hours prior to travel. MVP Gold 75Ks will be prioritized after AAdvantage® Platinum Pro members on the upgrade waitlist.

International Upgrades
Also, coming in late 2021, MVP Gold 75K members qualifying for status for 2022 will receive an upgrade certificate valid for travel on eligible American Airlines international routes. Look for more details this Fall.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador

Have any details been given about the reciprocity of MVPG 75 upgrades on AA in terms of where you clear starting 4/1? Is it after all AA EXP/Plat Pros? In line based on fare class, only at the gate, etc?
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Have any details been given about the reciprocity of MVPG 75 upgrades on AA in terms of where you clear starting 4/1? Is it after all AA EXP/Plat Pros? In line based on fare class, only at the gate, etc?
Unfortunately, the mechanics of upgrades including MCE seating on AA has not yet been announced despite 3/31 being next week which probably doesn't bode well for upgrades magically showing up on 3/31. My guess is that information will be announced after 3/31 with implementation a few months after that...I hope I'm wrong and it doesn't take that long but FTers that have been around long enough have learned to adjust their expectations accordingly
anteater likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
First class upgrades have been said to start later this year, not on the 31st. No additional info has been announced and no start date for that. I'd imagine it will be very similar to how AA's own members are upgraded with the same upgrade windows in place. Probably will be behind AA elites but that's not clear yet, could go either way at this point based on what both airlines have said about first class upgrades. There's also the SWU type upgrade devices that have been said to happen later this year, but no info on those yet either.

MCE and other benefits have been said to start on the 31st. Though it's not impossible that it takes a few days for status info to propagate through the systems. No reason to think that hasn't already happened yet, just not something visible yet on our end.

This is all based on what both airlines have said. Yes anything can happen, but those are the facts at the moment with publicly available info they've given out.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Mar 26, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Old Mar 26, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A similar/related discussion occurred in this recent thread:
Does AS Status Permit Better AA Seat Assignments? (Not Yet)
Old Mar 26, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
A similar/related discussion occurred in this recent thread:
Does AS Status Permit Better AA Seat Assignments? (Not Yet)
The OP here sounds like they were asking about first class upgrades and not necessarily MCE seating which is what that thread is mostly about. It's probably been discussed in some other thread too, but I haven't seen any new info on first class upgrades in a while. Hopefully once Oneworld stuff is up and running smoothly they'll give more details on first class upgrades, I'm very interested in them.
beckoa likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I hope its as easy as insert AS MP# into the reservation and AA takes care of the rest.

None of the hoops we needed to jump thru for NW with paper and then later digital certificates. There has been nothing to hint at that either. Hope its a smooth trAAnsition.
NWplatinum and PDXPremier like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Just checked on an AA booking in April, and it still wants $$$$ for MCE and "preferred" seats. Still a damn Max 8 Oasish*t crammed plane.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Just checked on an AA booking in April, and it still wants $$$$ for MCE and "preferred" seats. Still a damn Max 8 Oasish*t crammed plane.
My AA bookings with my AS # still want to charge as well....I wouldn't be surprised if all bookings made prior to 3/31 require $$ for MCE and checked baggage. If and when MCE opens up to AS elites, your entry-level AS MVP will likely always have to pay for MCE unless there are open MCE seats at T-24 which is essentially how it currently works for AA Golds.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My AA bookings with my AS # still want to charge as well....I wouldn't be surprised if all bookings made prior to 3/31 require $$ for MCE and checked baggage.
Based on the way AA's system recognizes FF number entries and associated status, I don't think the booking date will be the controlling factor if and when access is provided to AS elites. The FF number entry and associated seating priviliges are unrelated to booking or ticketing date. It may be necessary to remove and re-add the number for Sabre to recognize AS status on existing reservations once the privileges are extended, however.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Based on the way AA's system recognizes FF number entries and associated status, I don't think the booking date will be the controlling factor if and when access is provided to AS elites. The FF number entry and associated seating priviliges are unrelated to booking or ticketing date. It may be necessary to remove and re-add the number for Sabre to recognize AS status on existing reservations once the privileges are extended, however.
Removing and adding a FF # will likely require an agent....I have even had trouble getting an agent to even agree to do that particularly on award bookings. If you have to re-submit your AS MP # for bookings made before 3/31, a lot of existing bookings will continue to charge for seat upgrades and baggage since most passengers won't go through the hassle of calling or even know thats what they should do. If they don't plan to allow first class upgrades and/or award bookings on some OW partners til Fall, it will likely take some time for other benefits to make they're way into the system. I'm beginning to think of 3/31 as more of a symbolic rather than functional entry of AS into OW but it will happen eventually if we can just hurry up and wait
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by beckoa
None of the hoops we needed to jump thru for NW with paper and then later digital certificates.
Oh, man, I *loved* those certs NW platinums used to get. I had about 100% success upgrading on AS and almost never actually had to surrender the cert Of course, that was a different time, when AS elites were rare indeed outside of SEA/PDX/AK.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Let's see if AS75K are grouped in with CK and EXP in Y -> PE upgrades on domestic selling routes.

For reference: Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
I'll let someone better experienced update the wiki but here's the page with details.
eddiehuang97 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by SOCguy
I'll let someone better experienced update the wiki but here's the page with details.
Interesting arbitrage situation: an AS 75K can upgrade a companion for free, while an AA EXP/PP requires stickers. Will be interesting to see how that will work in practice--i.e., whether one can switch FF #s at the gate to trade off priority vs cost.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
acording to website 75ks are the only ones eligible for upgrades on AA. upgrades will be processed at 72 hours after platinum pros. Great news for 75ks who won't be processed below golds which is pretty much useless. Upgrades valid on Hawaii and transcon routes. 75ks will also get one SWU for aa travel later in the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.