Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Glad you figured that out before you start serving us glassware again
you never fail to make me chuckle.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Suggestion to improve upon the sacred ground of the fruit and cheese plate.

1. Please package the individually wrapped plastic knife on the outside of the box. Currently, it is under the fruit and cheese. So, I am required to dig with bare fingers through cut fruit and cheese like I am playing the game "Operation" to avoid touching food.

2. Please, in addition to the knife, provide a fork or even a substantial toothpick so I don't have to eat off the tip of a knife like some scene out of Crocodile Dundee goes to Burger King.

Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Suggestion to improve upon the sacred ground of the fruit and cheese plate.

1. Please package the individually wrapped plastic knife on the outside of the box. Currently, it is under the fruit and cheese. So, I am required to dig with bare fingers through cut fruit and cheese like I am playing the game "Operation" to avoid touching food.

2. Please, in addition to the knife, provide a fork or even a substantial toothpick so I don't have to eat off the tip of a knife like some scene out of Crocodile Dundee goes to Burger King.

Thanks.
How do you eat the crackers? Isn't it all finger food?

James
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
How do you eat the crackers? Isn't it all finger food?

James
Hi James, I use mind control and levitate the crackers into my mouth.

I am not agreeing it is all finger food. Apple slices are wet and cheese is oily and brie sticky. Crackers are drier and can be handled carefully by the edges.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:46 pm

Hi James, I use mind control and levitate the crackers into my mouth.

I am not agreeing it is all finger food. Apple slices are wet and cheese is oily and brie sticky. Crackers are drier and can be handled carefully by the edges.
Can you only levitate crackers? After posting, I did consider gingerly openning the end of the package and sliding them out one by one. The wet apple slices, bleeding their juice, and the sticky Brie make it acceptable for a grown adult to suck their thumb and put their fingers in their mouth to satisfy that childhood hankering, or is that just me? lol

James
chrisl137 and PaperGlider like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:45 pm

Ive missed hearing the tinkle of ethanol-drenched ice in glassware. . . and while Im *mystified* by the continued absence of Sprite Zero, I could be mollified by the return of Actual Glassware to F . . .
Old Apr 8, 2021, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by fly747first
I had that one last month SEA FLL and it was ok, though I admit I prefer the chocolate chip one... in my opinion AS is serving the best cookies among U.S. airlines now.
Agree with this! Is it bad to book F just for the cookies?

I do agree that they are very messy though. Pretty much need a plate and fork to eat them without getting chocolate everywhere. I've been saving the little lavender wetnaps just for the purpose of cleaning my hands after the cookie. Still, I wouldn't mind not looking like a child at snack time.
PaperGlider and simonsuo like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Can you only levitate crackers? After posting, I did consider gingerly openning the end of the package and sliding them out one by one. The wet apple slices, bleeding their juice, and the sticky Brie make it acceptable for a grown adult to suck their thumb and put their fingers in their mouth to satisfy that childhood hankering, or is that just me? lol

James
I must be a real Neanderthal. Never, ever even gave a thought to just eating my cheese and apples and grapes and crackers with my hands. Such a Neanderthal never even noticed that they were greasy, slimy, sticky (can't recall the other adjectives)...they were JUST fruit and cheese and crackers. Like you would eat fruit and cheese and crackers anywhere.
alanw likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I must be a real Neanderthal. Never, ever even gave a thought to just eating my cheese and apples and grapes and crackers with my hands. Such a Neanderthal never even noticed that they were greasy, slimy, sticky (can't recall the other adjectives)...they were JUST fruit and cheese and crackers. Like you would eat fruit and cheese and crackers anywhere.
But they aren't bloody, notwithstanding someone referring to the bleeding apples, supra.

It isn't like AS has even given a flying fork regarding these "platters." I recall knives, but never a flying fork.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
On todays AS 149 from SJC to KOA in F we still had the same cold options for food. However, my husband was given 2 cups of ice with his 2 mini Diet Cokes, and those of us ordering wine on this flight were given 2 full pre-poured plastic cups full delivered together. Im not complaining, I drank both. On all flights Ive taken to KOA since October Ive been given the cans and the cups, the prepour was new.

Looking forward to trying both hot options next week on our return.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
But they aren't bloody, notwithstanding someone referring to the bleeding apples, supra.

It isn't like AS has even given a flying fork regarding these "platters." I recall knives, but never a flying fork.
Nope, never saw a bloody apple (British bloody or Snow White bloody?)
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
the prepour was new.
Depends on the crew I think, I forgot which flight, but it should be around Mid-March or earlier, on one flight, all wine are pre-poured.
TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by clarrkkent
Agree with this! Is it bad to book F just for the cookies?

I do agree that they are very messy though. Pretty much need a plate and fork to eat them without getting chocolate everywhere. I've been saving the little lavender wetnaps just for the purpose of cleaning my hands after the cookie. Still, I wouldn't mind not looking like a child at snack time.
You need to join team "Please don't heat my cookie". It's fantastic.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
You need to join team "Please don't heat my cookie". It's fantastic.
I am already in this camp. I prefer time between savory & sweet and the cookie has cooled by then anyways. If I choose to take it along to enjoy later, the bag isn't greasy going into my carry-on.

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
in addition to the knife, provide a fork or even a substantial toothpick so I don't have to eat off the tip of a knife like some scene out of Crocodile Dundee goes to Burger King.
I always thought it was odd that there was only a knife provided. If there was a fork, I probably wouldn't need the knife at all.

It would also make it a lot easier to detach the grapes from the stem.
PaperGlider likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.