Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Disruptive Passenger on SEA-DEN (3/9/2021)

Old Mar 13, 2021, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

For FT geeks, the photo shows a Skywest Bombardier (?) jet. However, that route is usually flown by 737-900s.

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/artic...r-16022397.php

. . . . A passenger later summoned attendants because Grier was urinating in his seat area, Daniell wrote.

The agent said Grier told him he had several beers and “a couple of shots" before boarding the flight, fell asleep on the plane and “awoke to being yelled at by the flight attendants who told him he was peeing."

“He stated he had no recollection of hitting the flight attendant and didn’t know if he was peeing," Daniell said.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: Yes
That’s an unfortunate incident.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Anything to do with this?

Walk Up Shot Bar Opens at SEA
Old Mar 13, 2021, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee

Bingo! I was wondering where he was getting the "shots" at SEA, but there's the answer...
Old Mar 13, 2021, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee

Wow... read the linked article, and as much as I enjoy a couple of drinks while I'm flying, that seems like an awful idea. What were they thinking at SeaTac?

Originally Posted by anteater
That’s an unfortunate incident.
Agreed. I actually have some sympathy for a guy who's only 24 yo and was arrested by the FBI because he perhaps drank too much and unfortunately relieved himself on the plane. In this current environment of background checks and people's out-of-work lives mattering more and more at work, he may be screwed for a lifetime. Definitely sad.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:36 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by metallo
Wow... read the linked article, and as much as I enjoy a couple of drinks while I'm flying, that seems like an awful idea. What were they thinking at SeaTac?

Agreed. I actually have some sympathy for a guy who's only 24 yo and was arrested by the FBI because he perhaps drank too much and unfortunately relieved himself on the plane. In this current environment of background checks and people's out-of-work lives mattering more and more at work, he may be screwed for a lifetime. Definitely sad.
Hopefully it will be a learning experience for him, though a tough one. Granted, I’ve had my fair share.

As for drinking and flying, I’ve had upwards of 12 cocktails before a flight and been fine. However, I’m a massive person, male (enzyme to metabolize alcohol), and I am sure I have a full meal if I drink that much, and cut myself off early. 🤙🏻
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I actually have some sympathy for a guy who's only 24 yo and was arrested by the FBI because he perhaps drank too much and unfortunately relieved himself on the plane.
This is so far over the line, the guy has a serious problem.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K
In this current environment of background checks and people's out-of-work lives mattering more and more at work, he may be screwed for a lifetime. Definitely sad.
As a child I was a sleepwalker and remember worrying a lot that I'd do something bad or wrong. After all, we spend roughly one-third of our lives totally unconscious. I guess as I've gotten older I've gotten over the sleepwalking (I think... at least my wife hasn't said anything). I agree this guy sounds pretty irresponsible and likely has a drinking problem. But, I also feel a bit sorry for him. There definitely could be some long lasting consequences.

His story is certainly not uncommon. Google, "Ambien Zombies" if anyone wants to read more.

I certainly enjoy my share of cocktails.... often while flying since there really isn't much to do. I guess for once I'm thankful I am absolutely unable to sleep on planes
anteater and jjmadison like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 3:22 pm

Yeah, I'm in the "pity the poor guy" camp. I doubt he woke up that morning and said "My goals for the day include getting hammered at Sea-Tac, then peeing in my plane seat and doing other highly objectionable things." Preach self-control all you want, but everyone knows how quickly things can go south with booze and maybe other stuff.
anteater and bmvaughn like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Based on the severity of his bad behavior, it's very unlikely that this was the AS passenger's first drunk rodeo.
VibeGuy likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Worse than my seatmate a couple years ago soaking the entire F lav incl the ceiling while drunk.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Based on the severity of his bad behavior, it's very unlikely that this was the AS passenger's first drunk rodeo.
it’s not even his first arrest:

https://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com...itution-church
anteater and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by VibeGuy
Yikes! Hopefully AS doesn't allow him to fly with them again
Old Mar 16, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Flying at 30K feet in the air in a jet propulsed tube, I expect every adult to wake up in the morning for a flight to maintain some semblance of responsibility so as to not do something stupid. Flying is a luxury/privilege not a right .

“They are here first and foremost for the safety of all the passengers”. Bodily fluids and aggression in the midst of a drunken passed out stupor is not sympathetic but rather pathetic.
Klrduks and NWAlaskaFlyer like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I understand where some might be sympathetic due to his age but I don't fall in that category. We all made mistakes when we were young and were informed by their consequences. Drinking yourself into a stupor that deep before flying is blatantly stupid.
Klrduks and anteater like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.