Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Award Flight Change Policy (Since Sept. 1, 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist

I called the MVP line to ask about fees for changing AS and partner awards. The agent told me:

1. If you book an AS award ticket, you can get the whole award ticket refunded - miles and fees redeposited into your account.

2. If you book a partner award ticket, you can change the whole award without fees. (If the new routing requires additional miles and/or fees, you pay them.)
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Both those statements are true. Partner awards also get taxes and fees refunded. You do lose the $12.50/25.00 partner award fee on a voluntary cancel.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eethan
I called the MVP line to ask about fees for changing AS and partner awards. The agent told me:

1. If you book an AS award ticket, you can get the whole award ticket refunded - miles and fees redeposited into your account.

2. If you book a partner award ticket, you can change the whole award without fees. (If the new routing requires additional miles and/or fees, you pay them.)
Given that there are waivers in effect for point 1, that sounds correct. The waiver supercedes all Elite waivers and extends to all MP Members.

Since there are no longer "change" fees "ever," point 2 sounds correct too.

When the waivers for point 1 expire, you will always be able to change your award itinerary as per point 2, within ticket validity, of course. However, if you want to cancel your award and return your miles, you will have to pay the cancellation fee; unless, of course, you have an Elite waiver.

James
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Given that there are waivers in effect for point 1, that sounds correct. The waiver supercedes all Elite waivers and extends to all MP Members.

Since there are no longer "change" fees "ever," point 2 sounds correct too.

When the waivers for point 1 expire, you will always be able to change your award itinerary as per point 2, within ticket validity, of course. However, if you want to cancel your award and return your miles, you will have to pay the cancellation fee; unless, of course, you have an Elite waiver.

James
Does this policy apply if you are the lowest tier (e.g. just regular MVP)?
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by franniemeow07
Does this policy apply if you are the lowest tier (e.g. just regular MVP)?
Change & cancellation fee waivers have been for MVPG+ only. Currently change & cancellation fees are waived for everyone. When the COVID-19 cancellation waiver expires, only MVPG+ would be eligible to cancel without a fee.

The reference to the $125 change fee no longer appears in AS fare rules but the reference to the $125 cancellation fee is still present.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Mar 3, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Change & cancellation fee waivers have been for MVPG+ only. Currently change & cancellation fees are waived for everyone. When the COVID-19 cancellation waiver expires, only MVPG+ would be eligible to cancel without a fee.

The reference to the $125 change fee no longer appears in AS fare rules but the reference to the $125 cancellation fee is still present.

James
When does the waiver expire? I wonder if (AA) oneworld emeralds are included in the MVPG+ fee waivers?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
When does the waiver expire? I wonder if (AA) oneworld emeralds are included in the MVPG+ fee waivers?
There is no waiver, Alaska eliminated all change/cancel fees for award tickets permanently on May 1, 2021.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
So I used Alaska miles to book a Award ticket for American Metal departing July 3rd yesterday.

Can I cancel at anytime before departure and get my miles and taxes reinstated without your $125 fee or any fee? I understand I’ll lose the $12.50/$25RT parter booking fee.

Or do I only have 24 hours after booking to cancel?
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
So I used Alaska miles to book a Award ticket for American Metal departing July 3rd yesterday.

Can I cancel at anytime before departure and get my miles and taxes reinstated without your $125 fee or any fee? I understand I’ll lose the $12.50/$25RT parter booking fee.

Or do I only have 24 hours after booking to cancel?
Read the post directly above yours.

Alaska eliminated all change/cancel fees for award tickets permanently on May 1, 2021.”
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Will AS reprice in terms of taxes/fees/miles for an involuntary rerouting on a partner award with a flight cancellation that results in 24hr+ layover?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spgaston
Will AS reprice in terms of taxes/fees/miles for an involuntary rerouting on a partner award with a flight cancellation that results in 24hr+ layover?
Maybe? Could you be a little more specific?

(For instance, I don’t think “but it’s involuntary!” is going to get you out of UK APD if your BA award travel has you spending a night near LHR because of schedule changes. The government wants a cut.)
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Maybe? Could you be a little more specific?

(For instance, I don’t think “but it’s involuntary!” is going to get you out of UK APD if your BA award travel has you spending a night near LHR because of schedule changes. The government wants a cut.)
Well I'll never know because I moved to a different airline and different award/taxes/fees (which was cheaper anyway). I think a 24 hour flight change warrants cost-free reaccommodation from the operating airline (assuming something was available).
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I'll never know because I moved to a different airline and different award/taxes/fees (which was cheaper anyway). I think a 24 hour flight change warrants cost-free reaccommodation from the operating airline (assuming something was available).
Right, but “partner award” means “the operating airline and the issuing airline are not the same airline”. “Hey, BA, can you pay a couple hundred quid in UK APD that’s now due” might well get a response of “kick rocks”.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Right, but “partner award” means “the operating airline and the issuing airline are not the same airline”. “Hey, BA, can you pay a couple hundred quid in UK APD that’s now due” might well get a response of “kick rocks”.
If that is truly the case, is it 100% up to the customer to reaccomodate themselves? Or is it up to AS and what if they cannot find any award availability? Does CoC for award tickets only allow for refund but not reaccommodation? Just fail to see how you can force the customer to pay more to fulfill the original ticket.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that is truly the case, is it 100% up to the customer to reaccomodate themselves? Or is it up to AS and what if they cannot find any award availability? Does CoC for award tickets only allow for refund but not reaccommodation? Just fail to see how you can force the customer to pay more to fulfill the original ticket.
You’re not being forced; you can elect to cancel at no charge. BA changing a schedule such that it is no longer possible to avoid UK APD (because your stopover is over 12 hours or whatever) doesn’t mean there is an exemption from the law on paying UK APD. The tax exists as a matter of law. Don’t CoCs normally say “this schedule is by no means engraved in stone and we’re not guaranteeing it”?

If it was something like YQ I would expect that to be different- but mandatory taxes owed to governments not so much…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.