Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Can you buy a flight with a combo of gift card & Alaska Visa and still get free bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you buy a flight with a combo of gift card & Alaska Visa and still get free bags?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan

I'm considering purchasing a few gift cards from Costco ($500 for $450) for a trip to LIH. Tickets will be around $600 each, so I plan on paying $500 of cost with the gift card then the balance with my Alaska Visa (~$100)

Does anyone know if that transaction would still qualify for free checked bags? Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
The AS Visa free bag benefit is tied to your MP #, so it is applied regardless of how the transaction is purchased (mileage award redemption, gift cards, other credit cards, etc), so long as your AS Visa is active.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
The AS Visa free bag benefit is tied to your MP #, so it is applied regardless of how the transaction is purchased (mileage award redemption, gift cards, other credit cards, etc), so long as your AS Visa is active.
Awesome, never realized that. Thank you!
Old Mar 1, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS
Also, 1 free checked bag benefit also applies to all those on your reservation, up to 6 people. So, if family or couple are traveling , as long as you are one of the travelers, all will get 1 checked bag.
Now I just wish there was a way to get this benefit for family of four who use 2 companion codes to travel. Cannot combine PNR's. So, only 2 get free checked bag.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Ha, that was going to be my next question. We are using a companion pass but there are three of us, and only I have the Visa. I wish there was a way to book more than two seats at a time when using the companion pass, but looks like we'll have to pay for bags for the third ticket.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by billgris
Ha, that was going to be my next question. We are using a companion pass but there are three of us, and only I have the Visa. I wish there was a way to book more than two seats at a time when using the companion pass, but looks like we'll have to pay for bags for the third ticket.
I wonder if asking very nicely , when checking bags, would ticket agent allow the extra passenger's bag to also check for free??? My philosophy is, "it never hurts to ask, just be prepared to accept answer".
Old Mar 1, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by pcoll
I wonder if asking very nicely , when checking bags, would ticket agent allow the extra passenger's bag to also check for free??? My philosophy is, "it never hurts to ask, just be prepared to accept answer".
I can positively confirm that nice works, and it helps to have an agent on the other side that's also in a good mood and appreciates nice. With AS, that's not hard to do.
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Bought the gift cards from Costco yesterday afternoon and got them this morning. Booked our flights and saved $150, great deal...except the total hotel cost went up $250 overnight lol. Guess it's better to pull the trigger when you're ready.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.