Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Zero Hawaii (LAX-LIH) awards in Apr, May, June, July

Zero Hawaii (LAX-LIH) awards in Apr, May, June, July

Old Feb 26, 21, 11:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Ti
Posts: 887
Zero Hawaii (LAX-LIH) awards in Apr, May, June, July

Expertflyer shows no availability in Coach and First for all days from Apr, May, June, and July flying LAX-LIH. Normally, I would just wait to book, but the Marriott devaluation means that my parents will no longer be able to use their 7-night voucher starting 3/3. So I'm thinking of speculatively booking an award in June. In that case:

- What day should they check-in to maximize the chances of securing future award availability? (In March, I see Sunday has the most F availability)
- What is going on here? I can't imagine these planes being anywhere close to full?
eethan is offline  
Old Feb 26, 21, 12:04 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,645
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
Expertflyer shows no availability in Coach and First for all days from Apr, May, June, and July flying LAX-LIH
Don't use Expertflyer. AS just changed a bunch of booking classes after 3/31, it's quite possible they're looking at everything wrong.

Here's Alaskaair.com:


dayone likes this.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Feb 26, 21, 4:27 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,603
The updated fare buckets may not have hit all the GDS's yet. I'd suspect Monday when Sabre is finally updated (not SabreSonic = res system, but the GDS) and the inventory management system sends a recap, you'll finally see space.

award travel in First is now "E" class, fwiw.
eponymous_coward likes this.
UAPremierExec is offline  
Old Feb 26, 21, 11:23 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Ti
Posts: 887
You guys are better informed than those at EF - and they have a business to run!

Does this mean we can only search AS award space by calling in? (I seem to recall that AS shows the fare code at some point during checkout, but I could not find it. Anyways, this method was too cumbersome.)

I do see all the nonstop LAX-LIH flights in May and June cost 80k miles, so I assume there are no saver seats.

My plan is to book the Marriott, selecting the day of the week which will most likely gain saver F award space from LAX-LIH. Would that day be Sun, Mon, Wed, or Fri?
eethan is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 12:44 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,645
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
Does this mean we can only search AS award space by calling in?
What's wrong with using the AS website?

Originally Posted by eethan View Post
I do see all the nonstop LAX-LIH flights in May and June cost 80k miles, so I assume there are no saver seats.
Use the website, book the AA nonstop in F, switch to AS if you want to later. This took me like 5 minutes to put together, there's plenty of availability (you can use the calendar to switch to "First Class").






And while I'm at it:

Originally Posted by eethan View Post
selecting the day of the week which will most likely gain saver F award space from LAX-LIH. Would that day be Sun, Mon, Wed, or Fri?
It's pandemic times, everything is weird, who knows when AS is going to make space open on THEIR nonstop? \_(ツ)_/

Book the AA nonstop flights and perfect your itinerary later. No change fees.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 27, 21 at 1:08 am
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 2:17 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 2,178
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
The updated fare buckets may not have hit all the GDS's yet. I'd suspect Monday when Sabre is finally updated (not SabreSonic = res system, but the GDS) and the inventory management system sends a recap, you'll finally see space.

award travel in First is now "E" class, fwiw.
You could see space on EF almost immediately (if not instantly) when they switched over. You just can't use the award and upgrades search feature apparently. Which is kinda pointless to use with Alaska anyway since they don't hide those classes from regular searches. Just use the normal search, specify fare classes if you want to make it easier to spot space.

Easier to just use Alaska's website though, I think.
alphaeagle is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 9:53 am
  #7  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,193
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
What's wrong with using the AS website?



Use the website, book the AA nonstop in F, switch to AS if you want to later. This took me like 5 minutes to put together, there's plenty of availability (you can use the calendar to switch to "First Class").

And while I'm at it:

It's pandemic times, everything is weird, who knows when AS is going to make space open on THEIR nonstop? \_(ツ)_/

Book the AA nonstop flights and perfect your itinerary later. No change fees.
I would take it one step further. For 40K, you can fly LAX-DFW-HNL on widebodies in lie-flat J on AA and hop over to LIH on a $50 Inter-Island flight. LAX-DFW 788, DFW-HNL 772. It requires a DFW overnight but HI approved PCR COVID-19 testing at LAX is $125 pp for a 3-5 hour result; rapid PCR testing at DFW is $250 pp, last I checked.



AA 40K F award on widebodies with lie-flat.

There are several options for the return. What Elite staus the OP has, if any or is in pursuit of, would likely influence the best option for the OP.

Paid F on the AS non-stop starts at $389. Guaranteed seat. At 0.91 cpm, I wouldn't redeem 40K miles for a $364 base fare even if Saver award space was available, but I would redeem 25K miles offsetting an $809 fare for AA Flagship Business LAX-MIA at 3.2 cpm.

A main Cabin award on the same flight is 10K. I would book that and if the OP isn't able to choose Premium at booking, pay for the upgrade. With blocked middle seats in Premium, 2 can stretch out in a row to themselves with extra legroom to "boot!" All while saving 60K miles.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 10:04 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,645
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
I would take it one step further. For 40K, you can fly LAX-DFW-HNL on widebodies in lie-flat J on AA and hop over to LIH on a $50 Inter-Island flight. LAX-DFW 788, DFW-HNL 772. It requires a DFW overnight but HI approved PCR COVID-19 testing at LAX is $125 pp for a 3-5 hour result; rapid PCR testing at DFW is $250 pp, last I checked.
OP is already balking at LAX-XXX-LIH when the XXX is on the West Coast and same-day, not DFW and requiring an overnight. I assume "parents" are older and not interested in adding what amounts to a full day to a routing, even if they end up in lie-flats.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
A main Cabin award on the same flight is 10K. I would book that and if the OP isn't able to choose Premium at booking, pay for the upgrade. With blocked middle seats in Premium, 2 can stretch out in a row to themselves with extra legroom to "boot!" All while saving 60K miles.
Good call IMO. Even if there's luggage requirements it could well be more cost-effective.
Flying for Fun likes this.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 10:55 am
  #9  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,193
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
OP is already balking at LAX-XXX-LIH when the XXX is on the West Coast and same-day, not DFW and requiring an overnight. I assume "parents" are older and not interested in adding what amounts to a full day to a routing, even if they end up in lie-flats
I certainly agree! Although, anyone accumulating miles/points with an expectation that their preferred route on their preferred date will always be a click away will be sorely disappointed and find any such loyalty program of little value. AS' inventory of F seats is 12 daily. It is pretty unlikely 2 of those will be available for Saver awards especially in an environment where many are happy to just pay for it.

It was more of an illustration that there can be better value options found (I know that is subjective) & that backtracking a little is possible.

As an aside, it looks like stopovers, at least domestically, on "all AA" awards may have met their demise. I haven't looked at international to/from domestic nor international to international.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 12:05 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Ti
Posts: 887
Thanks all for the perspective. - I had glazed over the fact that one-way in Y is just 10k miles!

The reason I'm searching for Saver class availability is because the LAX-LIH ticket will replace a partner award ticket that my parents partially traveled. Partner awards can only be combined with AS so I don't think I can book AA awards.

Although the AS website shows AS awards at 40k miles, not all of these are saver awards. That's why EF is the only way to search for AS [saver]* awards AFAIK.

I will ping EF to check whether their search tool will work properly early next week. My plan is to secure 2 Y saver seats flying midweek for now. - Seems like midweek has the best chance of F award space opening up.

For the return (LIH-LAX), only AA, HA, and UA offer non-redeye flights. The best deal there seems to be 13k Avios for the AA flight.

*Updated to clarify

Last edited by eethan; Feb 27, 21 at 10:46 pm
eethan is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 12:57 pm
  #11  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,193
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
Thanks all for the perspective. - I had glazed over the fact that one-way in Y is just 10k miles!

The reason I'm searching for Saver class availability is because the LAX-LIH ticket will replace a partner award ticket that my parents partially traveled. Partner awards can only be combined with AS so I don't think I can book AA awards.
Was the traveled segments on the partner with the remaining segment LAX-LIH on AS? If so what was the original date the AS segment was supposed to have been flown?

In late 2019, I booked a CX J award for March 4th, 2020 SYD-HKG-LAX and March 16th, 2020. LAX-FLL. I was heading to the Southern Caribbean for a cruise. Transiting HKG would have meant denied boarding of the cruise. In early 2020, I changed the CX to QF J, SYD-BNE-LAX while retaining the LAX-FLL AS segment. The QF segments were consumed. The cruise was canceled so I didn't need to go to FLL. AS allowed me to change LAX-FLL to LAX-OGG non-stop. That changed to direct via SEA, had multiple schedule changes and ultimately shelved.

With 1 year approaching since the first flight, I called AS to confirm the expiry date. The agent check with a supervisor and a partner supervisor to confirm before she advised that any open award tickets from flights not flown in 2020 are valid until December 31st, 2021 and can be applied to itineraries in the calender through November 2022. She also advised that the open ticket could be used on any itinerary, not just the original one.

I would call AS to confirm. Perhaps you can apply the open award ticket to something else at a later time for a different time/island/location. 10K for a Leap award to the islands is a good value, especially if you have a blocked middle in Premium.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 2:16 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,645
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
The reason I'm searching for Saver class availability is because the LAX-LIH ticket will replace a partner award ticket that my parents partially traveled. Partner awards can only be combined with AS so I don't think I can book AA awards..
Correct.

Given that now we have "the rest of the story" (in bold) the advice can hopefully be more helpful.

You're correct that AS isn't making F available on LAX-LIH. You can use the AS website to screen out AA availability, as well as anything other than the nonstop. I'm not sure why you think you can only find what you're looking for on Expertflyer, the website can be used to just show only the availability you want (nonstop LAX-LIH, Alaska only). Note that AS isn't doing daily flights for LAX-LIH, so "midweek" really means "Wednesday". Pick your dates, call into AS and make changes, then I guess wait for saver F (That probably IS an Expertflyer thing to camp out and watch inventory; I'm not sure they'll ever open it though. My experience is a lot of the time AS never opens award F on a route; they'd rather sell cash tickets and upgrade elites into U, and they will open that instead.)







Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 27, 21 at 2:28 pm
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 3:52 pm
  #13  
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,556
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Don't use Expertflyer. AS just changed a bunch of booking classes after 3/31, it's quite possible they're looking at everything wrong.
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
The updated fare buckets may not have hit all the GDS's yet. I'd suspect Monday when Sabre is finally updated (not SabreSonic = res system, but the GDS) and the inventory management system sends a recap, you'll finally see space.

award travel in First is now "E" class, fwiw.
Hi folks, ExpertFlyer shows what Alaska publishes, our data isn't "wrong", we may need to update class code descriptions after 3/31, but the data is the data and it is all shown in the Flight Availability search. That being said, it looks like the 3 non-revenue class codes being used after 3/31 are U,E & T.

Edit: Looks like Saver First is E and Saver Coach is T, we are looking to fill in the other award/upgrade classes if someone can help that would be great, thanks.

Last edited by ExpertFlyer Voice; Feb 27, 21 at 4:10 pm
ExpertFlyer Voice is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 4:20 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,645
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice View Post
Hi folks, ExpertFlyer shows what Alaska publishes, our data isn't "wrong", we may need to update class code descriptions after 3/31, but the data is the data and it is all shown in the Flight Availability search. That being said, it looks like the 3 non-revenue class codes being used after 3/31 are U,E & T.

Edit: Looks like Saver First is E and Saver Coach is T, we are looking to fill in the other award/upgrade classes if someone can help that would be great, thanks.
Discussed here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2032924-change-fare-classes-class-service-bonuses-starts-3-31-21-a-9.html#post33012238
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 4:40 pm
  #15  
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,556
That thread does not mention what the new award/upgrade classes are, only the old ones.
ExpertFlyer Voice is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: