Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price jump from $249 to $969

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2021, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Wait, hold up. FML if this is the case. I finally got SAN-FLL direct which I need for work, it was painful enough working around the days it was flying, but now it's seasonal? Ugh.

I really wouldn't care, except the SAN-SEA-FLL option is a red eye.
The route was always intended to be seasonal. The OAG Changes post on airliners.net shows that when the route was loaded last July it only went from November through early April this year. They did bump the frequencies as it was originally only loaded as 3x weekly and now it is 5x or more.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
The route was always intended to be seasonal. The OAG Changes post on airliners.net shows that when the route was loaded last July it only went from November through early April this year. They did bump the frequencies as it was originally only loaded as 3x weekly and now it is 5x or more.
This displeases me greatly. I guess I am gonna go back to flying SAN-MCO then driving the three hours down the turnpike.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
And as a side note, I noticed a lot of US to Europe inventory on award tickets during the last half of December has been zeroed out. (At least it was this morning and was not yesterday.) Thank goodness I already booked it.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
This displeases me greatly. I guess I am gonna go back to flying SAN-MCO then driving the three hours down the turnpike.
With AS Oneworld entry, AA connection through DFW to FLL might also be worth a look as there appear to be convenient daytime flight options.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Klrduks
And as a side note, I noticed a lot of US to Europe inventory on award tickets during the last half of December has been zeroed out. (At least it was this morning and was not yesterday.) Thank goodness I already booked it.
I'm not sure if you're looking at a specific partner, but AA still has quite a bit of inventory at the 22.5K award level including the "new" SEA-LHR route during the 2nd half of December.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Reviving this thread only because looking at PDX-Hawaii in December I still see just Y coming back on AS. And over to Delta is it just their first product that is pricing. I don’t have an active EF since I am grounded but I suspect buckets are still zeroed out. A family of four from PDX to Kona for $8,000.... But maybe if that stimulus check is burning a hole in your pocket people will bite. I suspect the OW integration might still be part of this - but seeing DL doing the same thing is hinting that everyone is sitting tight to set fares later.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by williwaw
Reviving this thread only because looking at PDX-Hawaii in December I still see just Y coming back on AS. And over to Delta is it just their first product that is pricing. I don’t have an active EF since I am grounded but I suspect buckets are still zeroed out. A family of four from PDX to Kona for $8,000.... But maybe if that stimulus check is burning a hole in your pocket people will bite. I suspect the OW integration might still be part of this - but seeing DL doing the same thing is hinting that everyone is sitting tight to set fares later.
I am not so sure. I just booked KOA for Xmas yesterday. I took the last two seats on the F cabin seat map on my return flight and I paid a big price for them, but it was still cheaper than HA. More expensive than the DL/UA redeye, but not astronomically, and I prefer to sleep in my own bed than in one of their recliners.

I used miles so that it is easy to cancel and refund if prices drop, and so that I am not giving AS an interest-free loan on the fares if that becomes the case.

I have a cabin in east Idaho, fares to JAC and IDA on DL/AS/UA are all $100 higher for 28+ day advanced bookings than they were two weeks ago, mapping to the same fare buckets.

I think if the vaccine campaign is successful, travel demand is going to go through the roof for the back half of this year, and fares are gonna be high. The airlines are looking to make up for lost revenue, and travelers are looking to make up for lost time, so I think there will not be much pressure from either side to give in the game of chicken.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

I think if the vaccine campaign is successful, travel demand is going to go through the roof for the back half of this year, and fares are gonna be high. The airlines are looking to make up for lost revenue, and travelers are looking to make up for lost time, so I think there will not be much pressure from either side to give in the game of chicken.
I did notice on the nonstop flights I was looking at, F was not even for sale (with seats all taken).

Ooff, I can see that being a trend. Thanks for the datapoint. I am searching some narrow dates, but the award Y tickets are also 100k RT.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by williwaw
I did notice on the nonstop flights I was looking at, F was not even for sale (with seats all taken).

Ooff, I can see that being a trend. Thanks for the datapoint. I am searching some narrow dates, but the award Y tickets are also 100k RT.
Yes, I was in same boat, narrow date range given the way the holiday falls this year and my girlfriend's work schedule (mine is more flexible). But our logic was, we canceled an expensive trip to Chile in 2020, no chance of rebooking it or anything remotely comparable in 2021, so we might as well treat ourselves to some atypical luxury in Hawaii. Normally we would fly coach and stay in a budget friendly Air BnB or use points for a hotel and travel in the shoulder season in mid-autumn. This year since we are not doing our normal annual international trip and we also didn't do it last year, we are just going all out on this one and spending 2-3x what we normally would on flights + lodging.

I think a lot of people will have the same feeling as we did. Honestly, I think international flights will remain very affordable for US-based travelers until well into 2022, but domestic flights are gonna be pricey.
beckoa, pcoll and williwaw like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS
I have been watching fares for FLL and MCO in November. Were stable a month ago ,but started increasing $10 every 5 days. No seats purchased , if I trust seat map. Fare bucket price increase. Just booked it..$30 more than when I started looking. should have done it 2 weeks ago. Don’t feel too bad, after getting such great fares on F travel so far this year.😀
Question for more experienced flyers...
I paid for upgrades to premium 3 months ago on family trip.
Just noticed that the price for premium is now less for that same flight. Would AS do adjustment or is it just the way it works , at times?

Last edited by pcoll; Mar 20, 2021 at 5:34 pm
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by pcoll
I paid for upgrades to premium 3 months ago on family trip.
Just noticed that the price for premium is now less for that same flight. Would AS do adjustment or is it just the way it works , at times?
I doubt it, but it may be worth asking Customer Care, they're the only ones who could do it.

The only other option is to cancel the flights, have the refund for the fares and the PC upgrade go to your wallet, and then rebook. I'm guessing that the airfare is now higher in your case, so that's likely not an option either.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I doubt it, but it may be worth asking Customer Care, they're the only ones who could do it.

The only other option is to cancel the flights, have the refund for the fares and the PC upgrade go to your wallet, and then rebook. I'm guessing that the airfare is now higher in your case, so that's likely not an option either.
you got it exactly right. Not worth cancelling and rebook.
it is worth asking customer care , but not expecting much. Never hurts to ask.
thanks so much for quick reply.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
you got it exactly right. Not worth cancelling and rebook.
it is worth asking customer care , but not expecting much. Never hurts to ask.
thanks so much for quick reply.
One can also wait for a schedule change.

What was the price difference? Just curious- I see prices advertised, but have never paid for PC.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
One can also wait for a schedule change.

What was the price difference? Just curious- I see prices advertised, but have never paid for PC.
Upgrade to PC from Main was $149pp. LAX/OGG

Now shows upgrade $139, so only $10 each . But, 4 passengers - RT makes it $80
(Would help offset cost of meals on plane)
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Upgrade to PC from Main was $149pp. LAX/OGG

Now shows upgrade $139, so only $10 each . But, 4 passengers - RT makes it $80
(Would help offset cost of meals on plane)
Thanks for the datapoint. Interesting it went down- I'm used to seeing these only increase (in the rare event I even watched the cost)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.