Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS 807 (SEA-KOA) on 2/18/2021 [Emergency Return]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Looks like AS807 made it half way to Hawaii (KOA), and turned around and went back to Seattle.

Was squawking 7700 at one point (off the coast of Oregon), but went back to a normal code, and landed back at SEA and didn't request assistance.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
they did a tail swap in SEA and departed again within an hour ... the original jet (N569AS, per FR24) is en route SEA-EWR this morning, so it was either a medical incident or failure of some ETOPS-mandatory equipment item that wasn't too complicated to replace
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: AS 75K
I fly west coast to Hawaii often and it's kind of scary to think how far from any land or help you are. Glad everyone made it safely... eventually.
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Not strictly AS related, but I was flying LAX-SYD once when we turned around just over Hawaii and flew all the way back to California when one engine one the 747 went out. I would have felt much better if we had just landed at HNL.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by LGACIC
Not strictly AS related, but I was flying LAX-SYD once when we turned around just over Hawaii and flew all the way back to California when one engine one the 747 went out. I would have felt much better if we had just landed at HNL.
if you were on Qantas, LAX was a lot closer than SYD (I'm reasonably sure that QF doesn't have maintenance crew or facilities in HNL)
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Two words: four engines. If it were a 777, I bet you would have diverted to HNL.
be_rettSEA and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dayone
Two words: four engines. If it were a 777, I bet you would have diverted to HNL.
I guess they were pretty confident it was something directly with the failed engine. I get it that if one goes out that's most likely the case but, "most likely" is not usually relied upon in aviation.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
yep; in the event of engine failure, ETOPS procedures dictate "land at the nearest suitable airport" (which in fact might have been KOA/ITO/OGG rather than HNL)
Old Feb 18, 2021, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
My father saw the squak as well and sent me a note.

EF didn't reveal anything- impressive swap speed though- late arrival though.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:38 am

similar thing happened but lax to Fiji turned around over Hawaii went back to lax they didn’t announce 3hrs before landing at lax this happened after that flight that disappeared I think a year later lol got scared for a second when the plane turned around on the flight monitor. Was told flight crew fell ill or something happened to one of the crew landed at lax early morning they gave us hotel 1hr away from lax but the morning traffic in la got to hotel over 2hrs, but flight took off same evening. Flight wasn’t that full because I think ppl from Fiji flight got on az and qantas because they were transiting in Fiji.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Airnewzealand08
similar thing happened but lax to Fiji turned around over Hawaii went back to lax they didn’t announce 3hrs before landing at lax this happened after that flight that disappeared I think a year later lol got scared for a second when the plane turned around on the flight monitor. Was told flight crew fell ill or something happened to one of the crew landed at lax early morning they gave us hotel 1hr away from lax but the morning traffic in la got to hotel over 2hrs, but flight took off same evening. Flight wasn’t that full because I think ppl from Fiji flight got on az and qantas because they were transiting in Fiji.
Funny, that's exactly what happened on my flight - no announcement, just a slow turnaround and then the bad news once we were almost back to LAX. Guess they didn't want to wake or panic the passengers. The most devastating part of it for me was that this was the only time I ever rode in the upper deck of the 747 and I only got half a flight!
Old Feb 19, 2021, 8:32 pm

Funny, that's exactly what happened on my flight - no announcement, just a slow turnaround and then the bad news once we were almost back to LAX. Guess they didn't want to wake or panic the passengers. The most devastating part of it for me was that this was the only time I ever rode in the upper deck of the 747 and I only got half a flight!
Far more prosaic, but once flying ORD-SEA on UA in December, I wondered why the movie started so late in the flight (this was back when everyone saw the same movie on a screen in the front of each cabin...) as I calculated that there wasn't enough time to finish the movie before the flight was to land in SEA. Guess I was more mathematically inclined then. Anyway, during a slow spot in the movie, I went to the galley, and loudly asked the FA's why they started the movie so late, because we wouldn't get to see the ending! I realized that the FAs were nervous about it and didn't answer. As it happens, a pilot or copilot was also in that galley, and he overheard me, and then went back to the flight deck. A few minutes later, that same pilot came on the loudspeaker -- interrupting the movie -- to tell us that due to bad weather in SEA, we were diverting to SFO! Thereby answering my question. Obviously they wanted to wait as long as possible before telling the passengers.

Hence there was, after all, enough time to see the end of that movie. Of course, I have long forgotten the name of that movie... I would rather we had landed in Spokane as I could have just rented a car and drove to Seattle.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:43 pm

Wow oh man. Did u have long delay at lax?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Airnewzealand08
Wow oh man. Did u have long delay at lax?
About a day. Got rebooked on a DL 777.
Airnewzealand08 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This is why it has been years since I've taken anything stronger than a Benadryl to help me doze off. (Well, that, and a few liquids when served by the inflight crew.) I'm reminded of taking off from HNL one night and then landing back @ HNL about an hour later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.