FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Maximum number of segments on checked baggage tag? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2034158-maximum-number-segments-checked-baggage-tag.html)

PDXPremier Feb 15, 2021 12:28 am

Maximum number of segments on checked baggage tag?

I'm thinking of turning my return from HNL into a short mileage run by adding some QX segments giving me a total of 5 (all AS/QX) and transiting SEA twice but I'll have checked baggage. All my connections would be under 1.5 hours so there would be no time to re-check anything along the way....is there a maximum number of segments that will print out on AS bag tags?

Idaho Territory Feb 15, 2021 1:19 am

I was able to check a bag BOI>GEG>SEA>LAX>SFO>SEA>PDX back in 2018 without much issue. I missed the last SEA>PDX leg so I had to reclaim my bags for the overnight stay. Other than a few raised eyebrows there were no issues.

PDXPremier Feb 15, 2021 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Idaho Territory (Post 33038146)
I was able to check a bag BOI>GEG>SEA>LAX>SFO>SEA>PDX back in 2018 without much issue. I missed the last SEA>PDX leg so I had to reclaim my bags for the overnight stay. Other than a few raised eyebrows there were no issues.

Good to hear....did all those cities fit on one bag tag? I'm thinking of HNL-LAX-SEA-YKM-SEA-PDX so not quite as many segments, but I doubt they get much "connecting" traffic in YKM so hopefully they don't take my bag off the plane in YKM causing it to miss the flight back to SEA.

NoLaGent Feb 15, 2021 1:18 pm

I can't find the original thread on this, but I'm pretty sure that the max segments on a tag are 4 by the computer, but can be overridden manually, if needed. Finding an agent who knows how to do that is probably another story.

itripreport Feb 15, 2021 1:56 pm

The real question we should be asking ourselves is Maximum numbers of bag checked on a single segment...
My personal highest I've witnessed, 27 divided between a couple, lets just say the Alaska counter staff were having a rough day that day

Often1 Feb 15, 2021 2:53 pm

The maximum number of segments on a tag is 4. But, it is possible to add a second tag. Thus, 8 segments on the segment

Flying for Fun Feb 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Just a reminder that if you have more than 4 continuous segments in your itinerary, you won’t be able to check-in online. You will have to do that at the airport. It isn't a huge issue but you won't be able to see where you are on the upgrade waitlist since it only shows you on the waitlist after check-in.

James

PDXPremier Feb 15, 2021 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 33039447)
Just a reminder that if you have more than 4 continuous segments in your itinerary, you won’t be able to check-in online. You will have to do that at the airport. It isn't a huge issue but you won't be able to see where you are on the upgrade waitlist since it only shows you on the waitlist after check-in.

James

Thanks James....are you able to check-in at the kiosk or do you have to have an actual agent at the counter check you in? And what about baggage....you of all people have probably checked bags with AT LEAST 5 segments, right??? :)

alphaeagle Feb 15, 2021 3:33 pm

My experience was from years ago so it's possible things have changed. Highly doubt a kiosk now would work. But this was a big problem at check-in for me, not the segments (though that was an issue too). But the double connection. I wasn't doing a MR, rather just changed my plans and it was cheaper to add on a fare to the reservation to my new destination. But nobody wanted to tag the double connection, and computer wouldn't allow it. Eventually they did write out a manual tag when it was getting close to missing my flight. I wouldn't necessarily expect the bag to arrive on your flight if your turn around point is at an outstation without many/any connections. Unless an employee happens to notice it quickly enough to get it back on the same flight.

PDXPremier Feb 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle (Post 33039521)
My experience was from years ago so it's possible things have changed. Highly doubt a kiosk now would work. But this was a big problem at check-in for me, not the segments (though that was an issue too). But the double connection. I wasn't doing a MR, rather just changed my plans and it was cheaper to add on a fare to the reservation to my new destination. But nobody wanted to tag the double connection, and computer wouldn't allow it. Eventually they did write out a manual tag when it was getting close to missing my flight. I wouldn't necessarily expect the bag to arrive on your flight if your turn around point is at an outstation without many/any connections. Unless an employee happens to notice it quickly enough to get it back on the same flight.

Good point....although we will be going home so it's not critical that we receive our bags on-time and to be honest, I'd rather have the 2,500 miles per bag than get them on-time anyway :)

fwfdan Feb 15, 2021 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 33039230)
Good to hear....did all those cities fit on one bag tag? I'm thinking of HNL-LAX- SEA -YKM-SEA-PDX so not quite as many segments, but I doubt they get much "connecting" traffic in YKM so hopefully they don't take my bag off the plane in YKM causing it to miss the flight back to SEA.

Not sure that you will be able to do the SEA twice... that is going to be more of a problem than the number of flight connections.

Plus if you are one fare there is no way it will allow back tracking through SEA.

PDXPremier Feb 15, 2021 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan (Post 33039611)
Not sure that you will be able to do the SEA twice... that is going to be more of a problem than the number of flight connections.

Plus if you are one fare there is no way it will allow back tracking through SEA.

Oh, there isn't an issue with the fare....I'm just including it on a companion cert so the way it is pricing is HNL-YKM and then YKM-PDX.....only adds aboout $52 per person for the extra jaunt to YKM and back.

fwfdan Feb 15, 2021 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 33039639)
Oh, there isn't an issue with the fare....I'm just including it on a companion cert so the way it is pricing is HNL-YKM and then YKM-PDX.....only adds aboout $52 per person for the extra jaunt to YKM and back.

Ok - but then I think the backtracking on the bag tag is going to be your problem.

Flying for Fun Feb 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 33039496)
Thanks James....are you able to check-in at the kiosk or do you have to have an actual agent at the counter check you in? And what about baggage....you of all people have probably checked bags with AT LEAST 5 segments, right??? :)

I don't believe a Kiosk will work either. If you try online, you will get a message to see an agent. I actually haven't checked bags on domestic itineraries with more than 4 continuous segments. The most I have had was 6, PHX-PDX-SEA-ANC-HNL-SEA-LAX. The next day was LAX-SJO-LAX and the last day LAX-SEA-PHX. The first 6 played havoc with the entire itinerary.

I have checked bags on international multi-carrier multi-cabin itineraries. When I flew 30,404 miles RTW to get from ICN to NRT, I had 8 segments, 5 carriers, 3 record locators & 2 cabins on one itinerary. No issues with ICN-HKG(KE)-SYD(QF)-SCL(QF); only 3 segments. For the other 5, SCL-MAD(LA)-DXB(EK)-ICN(EK)-HKG(KE)-NRT(CX) my luggage was only tagged through to HKG. When I arrived in HKG, I went to the transfer desk. I only needed to sign an authorization for Customs to open & inspect my bags; if they so chose to. My bags were collected from the baggage hall, re-tagged to NRT & sent to the plane while I waited. Once completed, I was notified it was on it's way. It took about 20 minutes. All-in-all, I was airside for 44 hours, never technically being in Spain, United Arab Emirates, South Korea or Hong Kong.

I have also had bags checked beyond my 23+ hour layover city & had to have them short check! On another itinerary, I was flying SCL-MAD-LHR(23 hours)‐SEZ. The system in SCL checked it all the way to SEZ. You do need to be aware and intervene if necessary with these 'slightly' abnormal itineraries. ;)

I would expect to have challenges with checking luggage beyond 4 segments especially if you are routing back through the same city. I would allow extra time and be patient as agents don't see these too often and may need assistance depending on their knowledge & experience.

James

Often1 Feb 15, 2021 7:08 pm

This cannot be done online or at a kiosk. It takes an agent to physically key in the additional segments and print the second tag which has to be stuck to the first tag.

You may find that backtracking through SEA (or anywhere is a problem),

If at all possible, I would ship the bag home by Fedex/UPS Ground and be done with it.