Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Storm - Feb. 2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
PDX is a spoke for DL, a hub for AS. Makes a bit of a difference.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AKScotty is on a delayed SEA-LAS, AS 1236 Apparently the amex CL closed early at 2 PM today. Waiting on deicing now it sounds like...
Old Feb 13, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
My Seattle neighborhood had six inches of snow this morning and it is still coming down. People forget how many hills there are in the city until the chained-up busses go sliding down diagonally. DOT is advising against all non-essential travel for the weekend.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm so disappointed as I had a mileage run scheduled this weekend: SEA/PDX/SEA/FLL/SAN/PDX/SEA (meeting up with a friend based in Portland so the first and last leg were on a separate ticket). With BOGO and 50% EQM bonus, would have earned over 10K EQM and 13.6K award miles for $300. Both of today's SEA-PDX flights were cancelled. Sigh
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:56 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Sorry for all the troubles, but when it comes to snow/ice in the Portland area, the metro area is well-known for NOT dealing with this kind of weather well...it's just the way it is....we hunker down and it usually goes away in a day or two.
Absolutely, I’ve been coming to Portland for around 3 years now, and just wish they put more effort on the freeways. Just sad to see all of the cars strewn all over the place on the freeway, when I drove south from PDX. Can’t imagine the headache those folks have to deal with. The angle of embankment didn’t help the left hand lane on parts of the highway, as it made the cars slid towards the median, and the uphill gradient made quite a few cars lose traction due to their already slow speed. I have to say, I got my fair share of winter driving skill tune up yesterday, coming from Hawaii.

I would highly recommend using Alaska Air Twitter for any help on change/cancellations. The phone number kept on dropping for me when I called, and it’s a couple hour wait time. Twitter handled flight cancellations/changes within 5 minutes.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 7:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Have to say I'm really disappointed to see Alaska didn't get a winter weather waiver up a day or two ahead of this storm to allow travelers to get out early. By the time they posted one this afternoon, seems just a wee bit too late. Prior to that their travel waiver only addressed unaccompanied minors or pets in cargo.

I'm used to AA waivers in the Northeast that give all sorts of flexibility for places like BOS and NYC. If you have empty seats on Thursday and Friday, and you see a major weather event approaching, why not give Saturday's customers a chance to get out on them? Just really can't think of a good explanation. Anyone want to take a stab at it? Does it all revolve around revenue?

Although I was not impacted by today's cancellations (looks like every east coast flight from SEA was cancelled in the morning except EWR which went out almost 5 hours late and MCO 3 hours late - the list includes FLL, PHL, DCA, RDU, BWI, IAD, ATL, BOS), I'm being rerouted through SEA quite a bit due to the reduced schedule at SFO. I'm coming back through there again on Monday, hopefully without any issues.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Grr Travel waiver came too late

Thursday night, I called if I could proactively rebook my Saturday flight for Friday, but waiver was not yet issued so it meant I would have to pay the difference in fares. I didn’t reissue but booked a new award Rez instead. Just prior to traveling on Friday, I cancelled my Saturday travel as waiver still wasn’t issued. Waiver wasn’t even issued, prior to my originally booked Saturday flight time either, even though it had cancelled. (Flight cancellation didn’t come until early Saturday morning for 8am flight)

Why was Alaska so late in issuing a waiver. Flexible refund policy isn’t the policy fit for all, as some people wants or need to travel. I saw so many abundantly delayed and cancelled flight on the SEA flight schedules. Instead, AS made the cancellation travel experience terrible for more people on Saturday.

AS isn’t perfect, but they could have easily accommodated more people on Friday had they made the option available for people traveling on Saturday.

Jiburi
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: AA-EXP
SEA-RDU cancelled 2 days in a row (Saturday and Sunday 8:20am flight). I understand Saturday due to weather at both ends, but not sure why Sunday's flight was cancelled. Are things in SEA still bad?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Uzzar
SEA-RDU cancelled 2 days in a row (Saturday and Sunday 8:20am flight). I understand Saturday due to weather at both ends, but not sure why Sunday's flight was cancelled. Are things in SEA still bad?
Yes. It’s still snowing and SEA is still going to be a goat rodeo in the snow.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes. It’s still snowing and SEA is still going to be a goat rodeo in the snow.
Thanks for the info...have in-laws trying to get to NC for family reasons...they were re-booked for Monday so hopefully things will get better by tomorrow.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Outcome:
called on 2/11 around 9pm CST and asked
if I could get put on ORD flight for 2/12. The customer service agent in Boise was initially very proud that they had already booked me
for the next day out of MKE. I asked again if I could just be put on an ORD flight so I could sleep in my own bed on 2/12 as originally planned. He states that there would be a fee difference because it was a different airport. I expressed understanding but asked for the courtesy. He put me on hold and went to a supervisor. Within 2 minutes he returned and ask which flight I preferred but clarified that my FC upgrade could not be immediately transferred or honored as all FC seats were filled.

I asked for the 8:00 am flight and it was completed within 2 minutes. I checked in on my phone subsequently and got a boarding pass and placed on upgrade wait list.

later that evening I looked at the next day flights seating availability. Later flights had some unfilled seats but no FC seats for sale. I was within the 24 hour window so did SDC very easily on my phone to an alternate flight and was placed on the wait list. After checking in I was #1 on list.

more of a pain to get to airport at ORD due to change, had to take train to downtown Chicago then blue line to ORD. Was gonna take Coach airport bus but the timing efficiency was just a bit narrow - with only 15 minute arrival before takeoff- which could easily be a late arrival to ORD).

At T2 before takeoff received email that I was upgraded

overall other than my original flight being cancelled (I suspect because flights for this route both ways was less than 1/2 filled, they could easily combine for the next day) I was satisfied with the result and process.

arrived home in Seattle at nearly the same time as original and able to sleep in my own bed.
I followed up on the flights to and from MKE. Lucky I “suggested” and they permitted me the opportunity to fly home out of ORD on Friday 2/12 instead of accepting their next day Saturday alternative. The Saturday and Sunday flights were also cancelled.

now hopefully our family flight to MCO later today will be OK. They cancelled the morning flight. We chose the later afternoon flight during some promotion several months ago trying to take advantage of very reasonable FC fares so as to insure kid and spouse keep MVPG for next year. If things go well for this weeks round trip may keep purchasing FC fairs for the family and get the EQM to 75K
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Trying to rebook...6-9 hour hold times on the Alaska phine line. Any other options to get ahold of someone?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Thanks for the info...have in-laws trying to get to NC for family reasons...they were re-booked for Monday so hopefully things will get better by tomorrow.
The current forecast calls for freezing rain later today. It should be much better after it warms up Monday.
eponymous_coward and Uzzar like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:20 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Trying to rebook...6-9 hour hold times on the Alaska phine line. Any other options to get ahold of someone?
Twitter.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wchinchen
Twitter.
Thanks for the heads up....gave it a try but they said they couldn't make changes to the reservation on social media. Luckily I live in a town where the airport is pretty small, so I drove over and spoke with a counter agent and got the flight changed. Only like 5 hours faster than a phone agent...hahah

Thanks again
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.