Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Storm - Feb. 2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
A winter weather advisory for Seattle and Portland is on the Alaska website, but unless you're a traveling unaccompanied child or pet in cargo, nothing in there about changing bookings for now.

Winter Weather Advisory - Seattle and Portland

Snow forecasts for Seattle and Portland may cause delays or cancellations. Please monitor your flight status.

Because of the potential for delay or cancellation, the following policies are in effect for travel February 12 - 14, 2021.
  • Children traveling alone will not be accepted on flights to or through Seattle or Portland
  • Children traveling alone will be accepted on flights departing from Seattle or Portland
    Parent or Guardian must remain in the boarding area until the flight has departed.
  • Pets traveling in the cargo compartment will not be accepted on flights to or through Seattle or Portland
  • Pets traveling in the cargo compartment will not be accepted on flights departing from Seattle or Portland
Old Feb 11, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott
I'm supposed to fly TPA - SEA - PDX tomorrow. I called Alaska to see if I could move my flights to Monday and they wouldn't wave the fare difference as neither of them have been canceled. I really hope I don't get stuck in SEA tomorrow.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: UA *G
You should be fine if your SEA flights are before Friday afternoon/evening. There are actually two systems moving through the PNW this weekend. The first one (now to Friday AM) looks pretty minor around SEA but the second one (Friday PM to Saturday AM) might be disruptive.

First system:

Second system:
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: AS Peon
Any thoughts on how Saturday evening (6:30PM) flights might go? My suspicion is that, assuming forecasts are right and its mostly done by Saturday AM, Saturday PM flights should be mostly okay. Maybe delays for some deicing.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ctporter
I was not worried about leaving SEA next week, I was more worried about being in Vermont - 90 minutes to the hotel, and 60 minutes to the factory. Looks like both ends of this trip will be dicey!
I'm guessing this isn't your first winter trip to VT, but if it is... Vermonters are a hearty bunch and they actually have a sufficient inventory of operable snow plows. Several inches on the road doesn't scare them one bit. They won't even slow down on the roads until the snow is deep enough to hit the undercarriage of the Subaru, and even then it's only because of the resistance. The greatest risk to Vermonters is us flatlanders who insist on adjusting our speed to a reasonable rate. If AS can get you to BOS, there's a high likelihood you can make it to VT - and the factory, provided your heart can handle the stress of the drive.
writerguyfl and ctporter like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
Any thoughts on how Saturday evening (6:30PM) flights might go? My suspicion is that, assuming forecasts are right and its mostly done by Saturday AM, Saturday PM flights should be mostly okay. Maybe delays for some deicing.
very likely delays propagating through the system as well ... just because the snow has turned to rain in the greater SEA area doesn't magically clear up ops wherever the aircraft and crews have been for the preceding hours
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Friday, 2/12 departures until 6PM look fine.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Hoping for waiver to change from Sat 2/13 AM to Fri 2/12....

AS hasnt posted any waivers yet but am hoping to change my flight to Friday seeming My flight Sat AM, in my opinion, is doubtdul. Will AS pro-actively cancel or release weather waiver?! 🤞

Jiburi
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:03 pm

Just did a SDC for flights from SFO tomorrow to the east coast. Was charged the 7.5% federal excise tax on a different routing. That tax was not being charged when I originally booked the ticket in 2020. Don't have to worry now if my aircraft makes it down from Boise Friday.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Just did a SDC for flights from SFO tomorrow to the east coast. Was charged the 7.5% federal excise tax on a different routing. That tax was not being charged when I originally booked the ticket in 2020. Don't have to worry now if my aircraft makes it down from Boise Friday.
Did you do that online or with an agent? I thought routing changes wouldn't be offered online, but sometimes agents are flexible.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Did you do that online or with an agent? I thought routing changes wouldn't be offered online, but sometimes agents are flexible.
Couldn’t make the change online so had to talk with an agent.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Just received notice that my flight 3409 MKE to SEA for 2/12/21 was cancelled.

“We are working to get you to Seattle as quickly as possible and will send you an updated itinerary in approximately 30 minutes”

Perhaps they will let me drive to ORD and fly home of it’s not a seattle thing but rather just the outgoing flight to MKe on an E75 not departing.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
outbound SEA-MKE (3408) is cancelled for Fri 12 Feb

AS34 SEA-ORD which makes up AS51 ORD-SEA is showing on time
Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
I feel like a real winner. Woke up to learn that my flight this morning to SEA has been cancelled.

AS rep says they won't rebook on AA for weather related issues. Is that generally the case?

[Edit] another AS rep was willing to try AA, but flight was full.

Last edited by PDXpress; Feb 12, 2021 at 5:38 am
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXpress
I feel like a real winner. Woke up to learn that my flight this morning to SEA has been cancelled.

AS rep says they won't rebook on AA for weather related issues. Is that generally the case?

[Edit] another AS rep was willing to try AA, but flight was full.
I have had them rebook me on AA for weather related cancellations and delays but you have to push a little bit and be prepared with exactly what you want them to do.
PDXpress and be_rettSEA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.