FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Is AS continuing to block middle seats in premium coach thru 5/31/2021? (Yes) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2033834-continuing-block-middle-seats-premium-coach-thru-5-31-2021-yes.html)

SanDiego1K Feb 8, 2021 4:52 pm

Is AS continuing to block middle seats in premium coach thru 5/31/2021? (Yes)

A blogger said that the airline would continue to block middle seats in the premium section of coach thru May.

https://thriftytraveler.com/guides/a...laska_Airlines

Alaska is still blocking middle seats in its “Premium Class” cabin, extra-legroom seats at the front of the economy cabin. The airline says it will continue doing so through at least May 31, 2021.

Is there an Alaska Airlines source for this?

Ford Fairlane Feb 8, 2021 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 33024563)
A blogger said that the airline would continue to block middle seats in the premium section of coach thru May.

https://thriftytraveler.com/guides/a...laska_Airlines

Alaska is still blocking middle seats in its “Premium Class” cabin, extra-legroom seats at the front of the economy cabin. The airline says it will continue doing so through at least May 31, 2021.

Is there an Alaska Airlines source for this?

It's mentioned here with a footnote that says it's not guaranteed: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr.../premium-class

Until recently, it was advertised more prominently from the AS home page.

beckoa Feb 9, 2021 12:00 am

Had an email about this in January.

Was nice on my flight last week (no upg to F on the way down).

stephem Feb 9, 2021 9:37 am

At least on the routes we are flying, Premium tends to be the sweet spot, even if F can usually be had for about the same price as Main+Saver. Saver is generally entirely empty and F quite full. We have some flights next weekend in F that we rebooked to Premium the following day because the F cabin was nearly full. Last weekend our flight was empty in Premium, nearly full in F and sparsely populated in Main. That is my kind of flight ;-)

ACVFlyer Feb 9, 2021 9:56 am

I am flying in Premium on an E-175 in early April and the aisle seat next to me still shows as available.

PDXPremier Feb 9, 2021 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ACVFlyer (Post 33026131)
I am flying in Premium on an E-175 in early April and the aisle seat next to me still shows as available.

There are no E-175 middle seats so this doesn't apply in that case.

SanDiego1K Feb 9, 2021 10:05 am

Originally Posted by stephem (Post 33026084)
At least on the routes we are flying, Premium tends to be the sweet spot, even if F can usually be had for about the same price as Main+Saver. Saver is generally entirely empty and F quite full. We have some flights next weekend in F that we rebooked to Premium the following day because the F cabin was nearly full. Last weekend our flight was empty in Premium, nearly full in F and sparsely populated in Main. That is my kind of flight ;-)

Thank you. This is very helpful. We used yesterday's BOGO sale to get tickets to Hawaii for $400 for 2. I only bought them because of the middle seat blocking in premium as I doubt that our upgrades to F will clear. I'm not yet comfortable with having a third person sitting adjacent to us in our set of 3 seats.

dayone Feb 9, 2021 11:18 am

I agree that middle seat blocking in Premium is AS' hidden gem.

beckoa Feb 9, 2021 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 33026140)

Originally Posted by ACVFlyer (Post 33026131)

There are no E-175 middle seats so this doesn't apply in that case.

This is one (of several) disappointments in QX running the FAI-ANC shuttle now :(

PDXpress Feb 10, 2021 7:50 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 33026365)
I agree that middle seat blocking in Premium is AS' hidden gem.

It's back to being front page news on alaskaair.com

stephem Feb 10, 2021 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 33027541)
This is one (of several) disappointments in QX running the FAI-ANC shuttle now :(

We flew a DL E175 last week, they are still blocking aisle seat on the right side of the plane, C+ as well as regular economy.

stephem Feb 16, 2021 10:24 am

Our flight to PSP tonight.... We had originally booked F for $109, but as we looked at the seat map it was clear they were going to fill up every seat, leaving our 5th family member next to someone. We cancelled and rebooked into Main+Premium for about $10 less. Fast forward to today.... F is 13/16 full. Premium is the 5 of us plus one other person with a full row of separation. Main is maybe 10-12 people. That is about 30% higher load than our last flight down, but looks like another semi private 737 experience on tap ;-)

Edited to add: Just noticed if we wanted to we could cancel and rebook on the later flight which is even emptier. Same day booking into paid F for $129 w 10 empty seats up front, if you dont mind landing at almost midnight. Sign of the times on the SEA-PSP route....

PDXPremier Feb 16, 2021 10:55 am

Originally Posted by stephem (Post 33041044)
Our flight to PSP tonight.... We had originally booked F for $109, but as we looked at the seat map it was clear they were going to fill up every seat, leaving our 5th family member next to someone. We cancelled and rebooked into Main+Premium for about $10 less. Fast forward to today.... F is 13/16 full. Premium is the 5 of us plus one other person with a full row of separation. Main is maybe 10-12 people. That is about 30% higher load than our last flight down, but looks like another semi private 737 experience on tap ;-)

Edited to add: Just noticed if we wanted to we could cancel and rebook on the later flight which is even emptier. Same day booking into paid F for $129 w 10 empty seats up front, if you dont mind landing at almost midnight. Sign of the times on the SEA-PSP route....

Not sure why, but the price difference on the SEA-PSP vs. PDX-PSP flights is pretty significant (for both cabins).

johnp012001 Feb 16, 2021 11:41 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 33041113)
Not sure why, but the price difference on the SEA-PSP vs. PDX-PSP flights is pretty significant (for both cabins).

One word: Delta

stephem Feb 16, 2021 9:31 pm

Currently enjoying 3 rows of premium (both sides of the aisle) to ourselves. Meanwhile F checked in 15/16! Heard people up there chatting about the vaccine, so that explains part of it ;-)