Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is AS continuing to block middle seats in premium coach thru 5/31/2021? (Yes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AS continuing to block middle seats in premium coach thru 5/31/2021? (Yes)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Is 1D being blocked on the E175?
Originally Posted by anteater
Not from my experience. It’s been bookable and taken on all of my E175 flights.
It's been blocked from booking date and continues to be so on all of my QX E175s in May thru August, currently.

Edit: 1C, obviously, I've only had 1D on OO.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Feb 28, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Old Feb 28, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
It's been blocked from booking date and continues to be so on all of my QX E175s in May thru August, currently.

That looks just like my last LAX-PDX flight. I selected the same seats, purchased the flight within the 75K upgrade window and got an upgrade confirmation email before the reservation confirmation email.

Two non-rev pax were upgraded into 2A & 3A. There were 5 in the back for a flight load of 9.

I do see that a flight I am on tomorrow shows 1C as available but when you book through it shows that it is occupied; X over a white background, not blocked as it did before with the X over a light grey background.

While 1C continues to be blocked on the A321, it is now showing similarly.

James
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Wow. A flight load of 9 is terribly sad.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: Yes
I believe it’s a “soft” block, where it should be blocked until the gate control where they can and do upgrade into 1D.

When exercising a SDC, I have been placed into it prior to gate control as well.

I suppose the bottom line is prior to departure, 1D can and should be filled by an eligible PAX.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Wow. A flight load of 9 is terribly sad.
Indeed, but not as bad as SEA-PVR 2/19, 739 16/16 in F, 9 behind the curtain, 1 pax front of row 18. 😟 I guess it is possible to be socially distanced on an aircraft.

James
Old Feb 28, 2021, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Indeed, but not as bad as SEA-PVR 2/19, 739 16/16 in F, 9 behind the curtain, 1 pax front of row 18. 😟 I guess it is possible to be socially distanced on an aircraft.

James

I feel bad for anyone that didn't clear the upgrade list....lol. PVR is one of my favorite places and I wondered how things are going since the new testing requirements took affect....I know I had to cancel one trip and don't plan to return until I can enter the US without a COVID test....it's more of a long weekend type destination for me and the testing requirement is a deal-breaker. Based on these flight loads, it sounds like I'm not alone.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I feel bad for anyone that didn't clear the upgrade list....lol. PVR is one of my favorite places and I wondered how things are going since the new testing requirements took affect....I know I had to cancel one trip and don't plan to return until I can enter the US without a COVID test....it's more of a long weekend type destination for me and the testing requirement is a deal-breaker. Based on these flight loads, it sounds like I'm not alone.
This was the second flight of the day. The 9:15 am flight was packed. I took the later flight but did not expect it to be so pax light. I will DM you additional info.

James
PDXPremier, pcoll and anteater like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Any idea when/whether Alaska will announce continuing middle seat blocking beyond 5/31?

I'm looking at my parent's LAX-LIH June flight and Premium class is completely empty.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by eethan
Any idea when/whether Alaska will announce continuing middle seat blocking beyond 5/31?

I'm looking at my parent's LAX-LIH June flight and Premium class is completely empty.
I think we all expect it to end on 5/31. Alaska is the last US carrier to offer any type of seat blocking and with increased summer travel on the horizon, it likely won't be feasible to block middle seats beyond then. By June 1st, the desire to have a blocked middle seat will be almost exclusively due to comfort preferences, not "safety". If comfort is what you are after, I recommend purchasing a first class ticket or a "comfort seat".
Old May 19, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: Gold 75K
No blocking of middle seats in premium?

Today’s flight 206 Sea to pvr has 11 people awaiting seats. There are 14 seats open, 8 of which are middle seats in premium class. The only way this flight is not oversold is if they fill all those premium seats. The agent in the lounge tells me a) there are 14 seats for sale b) middle seats in premium open until 5/31. I’m in an exit row today but would be mad if I paid a premium to get an empty middle seat in premium. Is middle seat blocking just a goal and not a promise?
Old May 19, 2021, 9:28 am

From AS:
Open middle seats are not guaranteed. Certain occasions, such as aircraft changes or reaccommodating guests from a previously canceled flight, may require guests to be seated next to someone not in their party. If you're uncomfortable with the distance between you and others on your date of travel, please speak with a customer service agent about your options. On aircraft that do not have middle seats, the Premium Class section will not have additional seats left open. Guests traveling in parties of 3 can select Premium Class seats in the same row by contacting reservations. On the date of travel, guests traveling in parties of 3 or more may be asked to sit together without leaving middle seats open, in order to minimize the need for guests to be seated next to others not in their party.

Here is the thread on this: Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)
Old May 20, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
Not in premium class, but they put a guy in a middle seat next to me yesterday. They requested he give up his aisle seat so that a family who booked saver tickets could sit together, and offered him nothing for his 4 hour sacrifice, not even a free drink. He was really nice and agreed to give up his aisle seat but I would have been annoyed extremely annoyed by that request.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by sjbsf
Not in premium class, but they put a guy in a middle seat next to me yesterday. They requested he give up his aisle seat so that a family who booked saver tickets could sit together, and offered him nothing for his 4 hour sacrifice, not even a free drink. He was really nice and agreed to give up his aisle seat but I would have been annoyed extremely annoyed by that request.
I would have politely denied that request if I were him.
Old May 20, 2021, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by sjbsf
Today’s flight 206 Sea to pvr has 11 people awaiting seats. There are 14 seats open, 8 of which are middle seats in premium class. The only way this flight is not oversold is if they fill all those premium seats. The agent in the lounge tells me a) there are 14 seats for sale b) middle seats in premium open until 5/31. I’m in an exit row today but would be mad if I paid a premium to get an empty middle seat in premium. Is middle seat blocking just a goal and not a promise?
of those 11 people awaiting seats, any number (1-11) could be non-revs. Policy does not allow non revs to sit in premium middle seats unless they are traveling with people on both sides. If you're in an exit row than you weren't inconvenienced, right?
PDXFlyBoy and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
FWIW, it looks like 1A is being unblocked on the Q400 flights starting in June while 1B remains blocked....likely the only remaining blocked seat as of June 1st on QX/AS aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.