Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using AS MVP status for premium AA seat assignment

Old Feb 7, 21, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a Basic Economy ticket booked on AA for March. I am an AS MVP. Does anyone know when the reciprocal "premium seat assignment" program is scheduled to begin, and whether it will include Basic Economy tickets? At AA,it seems that they are now allowing their elites to get free premium seat assignments on Basic Economy tickets. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a seat assignment for my wife and I (they're about $15 each, and the better seats are filling up now) or wait to get it for free, if that's actually going to happen.
Old Feb 7, 21, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Nothing will happen until AS joins Oneworld on 3/31.
Old Feb 7, 21, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I have a Basic Economy ticket booked on AA for March. I am an AS MVP. Does anyone know when the reciprocal "premium seat assignment" program is scheduled to begin, and whether it will include Basic Economy tickets? At AA,it seems that they are now allowing their elites to get free premium seat assignments on Basic Economy tickets. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a seat assignment for my wife and I (they're about $15 each, and the better seats are filling up now) or wait to get it for free, if that's actually going to happen.
I booked AA flights for later this year (after March 31st) and the aa.com was still charging for MCE seating, but I fully expect that will change after 3/31 and they will be available for free. If you're booking AA flights for March, you're a bit too early for any of the elite benefits to kick in. My big question is whether or not AS elites will be able to reserve MCE at booking or if we'll have to wait until T-24 which I hope is not the case. I'm also hoping that AA recognizes AS elite status on reservations booked before 3/31 for flights after 3/31....not sure if the IT is really ready to handle that but we'll soon see
Old Feb 7, 21, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It looks like no free seat assignments for me on AA in March.

From my AA experience, even regular "premium" seats help on AA because they don't randomly assign these seats to non-elites unless the "regular" coach seats fill up, so you're far more likely to have an open seat next to you if you're booked in those rows. And, right now, there isn't any booze in coach on AA so you're not missing much (a small bit of extra leg room) by not being in MCE.
Old Feb 7, 21, 11:33 pm

Thanks for the responses. It looks like no free seat assignments for me on AA in March.

From my AA experience, even regular "premium" seats help on AA because they don't randomly assign these seats to non-elites unless the "regular" coach seats fill up, so you're far more likely to have an open seat next to you if you're booked in those rows. And, right now, there isn't any booze in coach on AA so you're not missing much (a small bit of extra leg room) by not being in MCE.
there isnt much of ANYTHING being given out in Main Cabin AA right now. First, miraculously, has similar meal service to Alaska but full liquor too!
Old Feb 8, 21, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, VA Platinum, AS 75K, HA Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I just booked a ticket for AA flights marketed by AS scheduled in April and the representative stated that elite benefits are now delayed until summer. I was confused because my email in January states that we receive oneworld benefits starting April 1st. I then looked on the website and see that the language is Summer 2021 for oneworld joining. Id rather book AS operated flights for April for the same trip if I wont be getting any benefits on American until summer.
Old Feb 8, 21, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life View Post
I just booked a ticket for AA flights marketed by AS scheduled in April and the representative stated that elite benefits are now delayed until summer. I was confused because my email in January states that we receive oneworld benefits starting April 1st. I then looked on the website and see that the language is Summer 2021 for oneworld joining. Id rather book AS operated flights for April for the same trip if I wont be getting any benefits on American until summer.
So does this mean we still our 75% class of service bonus on AS I fares until the summer? Seems fair to me....
Old Feb 8, 21, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
What website are you referring to? Before this gets too far along, Alaska's main oneworld page still says "Alaska enters a new frontier on March 31, 2021" and all that good stuff starts Spring 2021.
Old Feb 8, 21, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, VA Platinum, AS 75K, HA Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PDXpress View Post
What website are you referring to? Before this gets too far along, Alaska's main oneworld page still says "Alaska enters a new frontier on March 31, 2021" and all that good stuff starts Spring 2021.
Yes but that appears to be outdated or was the plan but no longer on track to happen. If you go to this page, youíll see that what was listed as Spring 2021 on the Oneworld page, itís Summer 2021 on this page for American Airlines.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA
Old Feb 9, 21, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Oneworld seating is a common topic when flying other airlines..
One of the benefits on OW status is "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating*. What that is for each airline is hard to establish. There is no common meaning of "preferred seating"
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits (go to the bottom)
Last year AA withdrew access to MCE to other OW status flyers, but was reinstated for BA (JV ffp). .
AA forum; AA drops oneworld airliner partner elite seat benefits Oct 2020
BA forum. AA removes free MCE seating perk for BA elites [Update : now restored]
As a wild guess AS freq flyers will treated like BA freq flyers given the close AA-AS relationship.

With basic economy even more complicated. With AA-BA-IB JV depends on who markets & operates the flight. Someone has made a table for possible combinations of marketed-operator-status.
AA:- Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (and on AY, BA, IB) (Master thread)
BA:- Economy Basic and Gold Perks?
AA:- AA's incomprehensible Basic Economy change rules (01 - 30 June)
and other threads

Should be clearer on or after March 31, 2021
Old Feb 9, 21, 1:51 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/on...-join-oneworld

This seems clear to me: "When we join on March 31, 2021, Mileage Plan tiers will receive oneworld status, which enables the benefits of tier status recognition and eligible benefits across all 13 oneworld member airlines, providing access to over 1,000 destinations. For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket**."

I plan to hold them to it.
Old Feb 9, 21, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by owflyer View Post
This seems clear to me:
"When we join on March 31, 2021, Mileage Plan tiers will receive oneworld status, which enables the benefits of tier status recognition and eligible benefits across all 13 oneworld member airlines, providing access to over 1,000 destinations. For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket**."
While one of the benefits on OW status is "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating*. What that is for each airline is hard to establish nor have I seen in writing the precise benefit offered for each of the 13 OW airlines. There is no common meaning of "preferred seating". For many Oneworld frequent flyers free access to AA MCE is not a OW status benefit.''

As disused in the AS-OW thread I would not expect AS status pax flying AA will have (free) AA lounge access on USA domestic/regional flights.. Same as now applies to AA status pax on AA flights. The "international ticket*** " restriction.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 9, 21 at 4:25 pm Reason: Added lounge comment
Old Feb 9, 21, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by owflyer View Post

This seems clear to me: "When we join on March 31, 2021, Mileage Plan tiers will receive oneworld status, which enables the benefits of tier status recognition and eligible benefits across all 13 oneworld member airlines, providing access to over 1,000 destinations. For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket**."

Just confirmed with customer care that this is most likely not happening on March 31st with all of the benefits. Agent said some benefits might happen but in regards to AA, it isn't definitive. I then called the AA exp line and AA wasn't able to assist with any info about me using my 75k emerald status on AA trips for April. Multiple AS websites reflect "summer 2021" even the main elite page. I hope you are right, but seeing how there is no possible chance of holding them accountable even when they arent honoring the old first class earning rates for tickets purchased prior to that announcement, I just dont have much hope.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 9, 21, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Just confirmed with customer care that this is most likely not happening on March 31st with all of the benefits. Agent said some benefits might happen but in regards to AA, it isn't definitive. I then called the AA exp line and AA wasn't able to assist with any info about me using my 75k emerald status on AA trips for April. Multiple AS websites reflect "summer 2021" even the main elite page. I hope you are right, but seeing how there is no possible chance of holding them accountable even when they arent honoring the old first class earning rates for tickets purchased prior to that announcement, I just dont have much hope.
March 31st is the date that Alaska is set to join Oneworld. It's almost certainly true that on, or before, that date elite benefits on AA will be active. Summer 2021 is when redemptions with other Oneworld Airlines begin and what they likely consider would be fully part of Oneworld.

You can't call AA right now to get benefits, there are none right now. Alaska elites are not Emerald's or any other Oneworld status yet.

Yes things may change, nothing is ever set in stone with airlines. Would be nice to have a thread just for facts and not rumors/guessing to make it easier for those who just want info to keep track of...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: