Wiki Posts
Search

AS Schedule Changes (2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
AS Schedule Changes (2021)

Apologies but I didn't see the normal periodic schedule change thread.

Checked a reservation for May last night and saw the dreaded "please call reservations."

When I took a look at the schedule, it appears that the ORD-LAX direct flights have been zapped.

Some of this is probably due to the OneWorld entry, but Alaska can't sell that flight on AA because of the settlement that allowed the VX merger. I guess I'll fly the long way around, through SEA.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I don't think it has anything to do with OneWorld and everything to due with schedule reductions because no one is flying yet.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I don't think it has anything to do with OneWorld and everything to due with schedule reductions because no one is flying yet.
They've zapped it pretty far out - through most of the summer.

Other routes that really haven't flown much since the pandemic started - but notably don't have a OneWorld hub on both ends, like LAX-BOS, reappear in late spring.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My April HNL/OAK is gone.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
My May SFO-MSO nonstop on QX is still alive! Maybe this one will hold for summer vacation traffic, fingers crossed? We'll see...
econjon likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

The only good news with my change was when I called in, the Boise based agent had no problem with a co-terminal change to BUR for me.

I mean, if I'm going to have a much longer trip, at least I can save an hour on the ground getting home.
beckoa, unluckyexpert and pcoll like this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I don't think this is the "typical" Saturday night schedule change....especially since we just had one a week or so ago....this one seems more targeted and route-specific. There are too many flights and frequencies still on the schedule that I highly doubt will survive a real schedule change....PDX-MSP being one of them. On another note, I went to a book a SEA-DCA trip using miles and thought it was amusing how many red-eye flights are still in the schedule next Fall (SEA-ATL, SEA-RDU, SEA-PHL, etc.) especially given the fact that red-eyes from just about anywhere outside of a Hawaii/Alaska and SEA-Florida routes are all but gone. I fully intend to switch my SEA-RDU-DCA to the much more desirable SEA-DCA.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
My march SEA-IAH non-stop flight is gone. They moved me to an earlier non-stop flight. They must consolidating passengers. Even with consolidation, the plane is quite empty. Just glad that there is still non-stop available.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My April HNL/OAK is gone.
HNL/SFO has stuck (at least for now), so I was able to get the return on the nonstop. (SJC is also operating, but that's a no-go for me).
beckoa likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORD-LAX was actually cut a week ago (not this past Saturday). It was a pretty typical update with most of the changes only affecting March schedules and only a few cutbacks (like ORD-LAX) going significantly further (currently eliminated through August and with September restart date as of now). EWR-SJC, SAN-FLL, and SFO-PHL also got cut beyond the March schedule the previous weekend. IAH-SEA saw a reduction for March, but the second daily flight is still currently in schedule for April and beyond. As usual, the weekly "OAG Changes" posts on airliners.net can be used to get a good idea of the scope of the changes. You can check-in tomorrow to see what was changed this past weekend and if it was indeed significant, or just some minor tweaks. Here's the summary of changes from the previous weekend which was a fairly sizable update (again, mostly for March only) --

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1457377

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 8, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Old Feb 8, 2021, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not really work booking more than 30 days out as schedules are notional beyond that. COVID will continue to affect scheduling until it does not.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Not really work booking more than 30 days out as schedules are notional beyond that. COVID will continue to affect scheduling until it does not.
Depends on how you look at it.....for example, I wanted to fly PDX-SEA-MSP (more EQMs especially with the 50% bonus promotion) in May, but the PDX-MSP was a little cheaper so I booked PDX-MSP which I'm almost sure will get cancelled in an upcoming schedule change and I'll be switched to the connection via SEA for no additional cost....if I waited til AFTER the schedule change to book, it would be at my expense.
beckoa and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by xliioper
ORD-LAX was actually cut a week ago (not this past Saturday). It was a pretty typical update with most of the changes only affecting March schedules and only a few cutbacks (like ORD-LAX) going significantly further (currently eliminated through August and with September restart date as of now). EWR-SJC, SAN-FLL, and SFO-PHL also got cut beyond the March schedule the previous weekend. IAH-SEA saw a reduction for March, but the second daily flight is still currently in schedule for April and beyond. As usual, the weekly "OAG Changes" posts on airliners.net can be used to get a good idea of the scope of the changes. You can check-in tomorrow to see what was changed this past weekend and if it was indeed significant, or just some minor tweaks. Here's the summary of changes from the previous weekend which was a fairly sizable update (again, mostly for March only) --

Always an interesting read once it's posted!
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper

Thank you. I should have been more clear that I only caught the change this last weekend (no email alert), but it could have been before that.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Why would they think pdx-hnl at 1745 would be a good idea on a Saturday??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.