AS Schedule Changes (2021)

Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you use multi-city search, you will usually end up with more than the two fare components you will typically have on a roundtrip booking. Each fare component has it's own routing rules. When you originally booked, you had two fare components -- one for LAX-FLL and one for FLL-LAX. There are LAX-FLL fares that require non-stop routing, as well as other LAX-FLL fares which allow for connections with a single hop through airports like SFO or SEA. These fares require a layover of no longer than 4 hours. The system will often price out broken fares on one-way or roundtrip searches which involve more than one fare component in each direction. For example, if the layover is longer than 4 hours on LAX-SEA-FLL, it is actually two fare components -- one for LAX-SEA and one for SEA-FLL. Rather than a single LAX-FLL fare component. You can see how many fare components are used at the "fare rules" link when pricing out tickets.

Once they cancelled your original flights (which were likely fares that required non-stop routing), the system provides more flexibility. It looks like they already went way beyond both the routing rules of your originally purchased fares, as well as the routing rules of the other published fares for this route. You are reading too much into what you can get using multi-city due to the fact that it is using more than the two fare components that you originally booked.
simonsuo likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 11, 2021 at 9:36 pm
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
They reworked the remaining fights from ORD for May. Looks like 4 departures to SEA, one to SFO, and PDX gets cut.

The flight I was rebooked on after ORD-LAX was discontinued just got cancelled. I'm no longer able to connect to the last SEA-BUR flight, so back to LAX I go.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northwesterner
They reworked the remaining fights from ORD for May. Looks like 4 departures to SEA, one to SFO, and PDX gets cut.

The flight I was rebooked on after ORD-LAX was discontinued just got cancelled. I'm no longer able to connect to the last SEA-BUR flight, so back to LAX I go.
I'm seeing SEA-ORD 5x daily and ORD-SFO/PDX 1x daily (although ORD-SFO does not operate first 3 Saturdays)., Suspect you just checked at the wrong time.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by xliioper
I'm seeing SEA-ORD 5x daily and ORD-SFO/PDX 1x daily (although ORD-SFO does not operate first 3 Saturdays)., Suspect you just checked at the wrong time.
You're right, my error. I missed the after 7PM departures from ORD because they don't connect same day to anything in SoCal.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Red-eyes- SEA BWI and SEA IAD, and SEA JFK cut at the latest May schedule adjustments.

All of the red eyes mentioned might return June 17, unless of course AS pushes further their resumption dates.

Oddities is SEA JFK redeye which is still scheduled to operate in April and early May, only for it to disappears from schedule May 20 thru June 17th.
jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Mar 15, 2021 at 6:32 pm
Old Mar 15, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Sorting through end of May and June changes now...the first one is kind of annoying:

5/29-went from a 6p SFO-MSO on QX to a 7:10a on OO.
6/14-went from a 4p MSO-SFO on QX to a 11:05a on OO.

Besides the time differences that necessitate lots of changes on each end, I'm most annoyed about QX to OO.

Will likely take the QX LAX-MSO flights as the departure times are better for me, even with the added connection in LA.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Had my EUG/SEA/MRY (5/26) and MRY/SEA/EUG (5/31) change to earlier in the day. Actually a positive in my situation.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
For flights between SEA and CVG (route starting May 20th), departure times were changed to 15 minutes later, both directions. Of course the app reported this as a change I had to call in for, which made me fear the route had been cancelled again. But it was easy click-and-accept on the website.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that makes absolutely no sense at all, but I’m not a programmer
Old Mar 16, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
lax-tpa/fll non-stop in May got cancelled, have to re-route through SEA at either super early departure time (7 am EDT), or arrive at 11:59 pm EDT. From LA to FLL, overnight stay is a must each way. And it seems the FLL-SEA on 5/31 is sold out in main. also, why remove the pdx-fll non-stop in May when they are still available in March?
Original simple LAX-FLL, TPA-LAX changed to D1 ONT-PDX, D2 PDX-SEA-FLL, D3 TPA-SEA-LAX
The whole memorial weekend is 3 days, and I'll be on planes every day.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by simonsuo
also, why remove the pdx-fll non-stop in May when they are still available in March?
Florida is a seasonal destination. Spring break is March, not late May. Not surprising that AS is going to adjust/make service seasonal when we're not exactly 100% past COVID.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Take pretty hit in May flights (90% undesired) as AS cuts many direct flights/significant schedule change.

Not sure how they come up with it but clearly the previous round of schedule failed miserably.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Noahf989
Take pretty hit in May flights (90% undesired) as AS cuts many direct flights/significant schedule change.

Not sure how they come up with it but clearly the previous round of schedule failed miserably.
When they make these large schedule updates, they don't actually go all the way through the end of schedule. AS (and the other legacies) have numerous routes where they have maintained near or at pre-Covid capacity in the schedule out beyond these update windows. So it's become routine to see large changes if you happen to book flights out beyond the update windows. As more demand returns, the updates in these big monthly schedule loads should start getting less dramatic.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 16, 2021 at 6:38 pm
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:29 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Had a June 8 LAX-TPA go bye bye. Cancelled and returned to wallet. Looks like I’m back to SAN-MCO.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Florida is a seasonal destination. Spring break is March, not late May. Not surprising that AS is going to adjust/make service seasonal when we're not exactly 100% past COVID.
Florida is seasonal for AS but not other carriers. This is another example of why buying a ticket on AS to Florida outside of winter--especially from California to Florida is not a good idea. Relying solely on O/D to a state where they are quite weak and AA/WN/B6/NK all have major operations means that AS has very inconsistent service which can come or go. It is not as if MIA/FLL/MCO/TPA etc all shut down in May when AS decides to fly elsewhere
simonsuo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.