Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] Banned from AS for Eating Without Mask

Old Jan 24, 21, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AS 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold Plus

First off, I call BS on this story, but I wanted to ask the forum here...
My wife's hairdresser told her that her son and the group he was travelling with had a couple people that were eating their snacks and that a person behind them complained they were not wearing masks. The FA told them they had to wear masks and they said they would as soon as they stopped eating. The FA supposedly got mad and told them if they didn't mask up immediately they would be BANNED from AS. I wasn't there, and of course do not know any details, but essentially they ended up being banned from AS for eating food without a mask. In addition, supposedly AS pulled all the people in the entourage aside, and supposedly banned all of them, even the ones who were seated nowhere near the "guilty" parties. This is the story essentially told to my wife, so the details and exact circumstances are not known, but it just doesn't make sense, and I told my wife that there is probably a lot more to the story than what she heard.
That said ...
Does AS really enforce a mask up while eating policy? Could an individual FA enforce that ridiculous interpretation or the rules, and get you banned because of it?
Do they really have a "Guilt by association" policy, where all people in a party are banned based on the behavior of one or two people?
Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm just askin'.
Old Jan 24, 21, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Please change the thread title to something less misleading. This is a story about something you heard from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from yet someone else.

The relevant part of the AS mask policy, published prominently on its website is plain English & clear:

After you sip or snack, please put it back. Your mask or face covering must cover your nose and mouth and should only be removed when briefly eating or drinking. Masks with valves, mesh material or holes of any kind will not be allowed.
RAD_PDX and mhdena like this.
Old Jan 24, 21, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bzman View Post
First off, I call BS on this story, but I wanted to ask the forum here...
My wife's hairdresser told her that her son and the group he was travelling with had a couple people that were eating their snacks and that a person behind them complained they were not wearing masks. The FA told them they had to wear masks and they said they would as soon as they stopped eating. The FA supposedly got mad and told them if they didn't mask up immediately they would be BANNED from AS. I wasn't there, and of course do not know any details, but essentially they ended up being banned from AS for eating food without a mask. In addition, supposedly AS pulled all the people in the entourage aside, and supposedly banned all of them, even the ones who were seated nowhere near the "guilty" parties. This is the story essentially told to my wife, so the details and exact circumstances are not known, but it just doesn't make sense, and I told my wife that there is probably a lot more to the story than what she heard.
That said ...
Does AS really enforce a mask up while eating policy? Could an individual FA enforce that ridiculous interpretation or the rules, and get you banned because of it?
Do they really have a "Guilt by association" policy, where all people in a party are banned based on the behavior of one or two people?
Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm just askin'.
It's tough to have a discussion with this kind of a starting point.
mhdena, Kacee and sea_jeff like this.
Old Jan 24, 21, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The thread title would likely be more accurate as 'Hearsay after a long game of Telephone resulted in inaccurate depiction of incident."
Old Jan 24, 21, 11:17 am

No single rogue flight attendant can unilaterally get a customer banned. All yellow card incidents are reviewed by management.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 21, 11:21 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Please change the thread title to something less misleading. This is a story about something you heard from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from yet someone else.

The relevant part of the AS mask policy, published prominently on its website is plain English & clear:

After you sip or snack, please put it back. Your mask or face covering must cover your nose and mouth and should only be removed when briefly eating or drinking. Masks with valves, mesh material or holes of any kind will not be allowed.
I'm counting at least 6 degrees of separation to the story.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 21, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Wow.... tough crowd. The thread title isn't that inaccurate. OP readily admits it's a story through a bunch of people.

Anyway, as everyone agrees, there is obviously more to this story. A lot of people like to the play the, "my mask if off because I'm eating/drinking game" and try to play that angle for half flight with a bag of nuts open and half eaten on the tray table in front of them. AS has called BS on that and won't tolerate it. The red text Often1 posted is what is blasted over the PA system numerous times during flights. They are basically saying put your mask back on between sips and bites. I'm guessing that wasn't being followed and the offending people would have undoubtedly been warned several times prior to more action.

I know a lot of this seems over the top but I'm actually glad to see rules actually being enforced. Kind of a lost thing in the world these day.
Old Jan 24, 21, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
*cough, cough* bullsh!t!
Often1 and david55 like this.
Old Jan 24, 21, 11:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Call me an old curmudgeon....but if the story is true....this line says it all to me... "that her son and the group he was travelling with"......my guess is there was a bit of young'un attitude that went with their refusal to mask up.
Old Jan 24, 21, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note; Since this is a "heard from a friend who heard it from a friend," we'll close.

dayone, AS Moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: