Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I happened to call this morning for some of the rebooking needed because of the schedule change. Two things I noticed and asked.
1. Although many of my reservations are in R right now, because of my new flights are all after 3/31, the rep said they will be converted to something else, but don't know which letter as of now. And the new chart on the website not showing R fare class earning at all.
2. All of my newly rebooked flights in R, won't show waitlisted for premium/first class. The rep said all they can do is put a GO instead of STOP in the system, but there are many backend IT stuff going on which can't show me I'm actually waitlisted or now.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:16 pm

Not as bad as could be. Now the funny thing is with the heavy amount of schedule changes AS can basically deny most of the claims for previously purchased first class tickets for credit. I am now running 90% of flights impacted by schedule changes all the way out until June. And AS has become even more strict on rebooking those. I was getting a few days leeway before but now its +/- 1 day only unless I HUACA many many times. Just overall unexciting to be booking AS flights anymore. Already replaced a few with B6 mint for the same price.
MileageMule likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
X and whatever R will turn into hasn't been sent to the gallows so count me as ecstatic because wasn't expecting that
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Premium and first class upgrades have also been adjusted to the new fare classes. I dont know if this has a negative impact. Do 75ks still get to select any premium seat at time of booking for all but savers? Thats how it was but the new chart makes it unclear.

Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
My SMF-PDX-SMF flights got cancelled and to remain in 1st class I had to connect thru SEA both ways
ski2sea likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
backend processing is happening for a few hours now for all of my future reservations

Reservation temporarily inaccessible

We are currently unable to display your reservation as we transition our systems to oneworld. If you are flying in the next 24 hours, please contact us. Otherwise, please check back in a few hours.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Premium and first class upgrades have also been adjusted to the new fare classes. I dont know if this has a negative impact. Do 75ks still get to select any premium seat at time of booking for all but savers? Thats how it was but the new chart makes it unclear.
Yes.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
This one caught me off guard. I had a flight for December booked in I @ $549. I happened to check and it was not $479. Unfortunately, one thing that one cannot do when using the Change option is to change to the same flight, same cabin at lower fare. So, one must put the flight at risk by cancelling, having the funds go to Wallet and then use to buy the new fare (if enough in Wallet I guess one could just book the new one as a dupe, then cancel the old, but I did not).

So, cancelled, then went to book and, suddenly, the flight is $1099! Today it's down to $679, showing in 'C'. Well, I know that AS does not have 'C', so I did a search and found out that the OW harmonization is today. I got caught afoul of this at the wrong moment., I figure that they will release some I when the dust settles.

Edit: Faster than settled dust. I became available @ $379. Now I have to see what I earns on AA, but I'm fearing 20% EQD.

The AA chart for earning on AS has, of course, not yet been updated.

Cheers.
anteater likes this.

Last edited by brp; Feb 24, 2021 at 4:06 pm
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
There will be a slight incentive to fly and credit to AA, since AA gives 200% EQM for these classes. For those of us with status on both carriers, this is a relevant consideration.
Somewhat disagree here. While the EQM may be better, it is quite possible that the EQD will be worse (although the AA chart is not yet out). Currently, AS I earns 30% EQD on AA. If, and this is still an "if" they do something closer to AA's special fare chart on the mapping, I would go to 20%. As I have a number of AS I bookings to credit to AA, I do care about this.

In the past, when fare class earnings change after-purchase I've been successful in getting things fixed manually, but it can be a pain.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
R class seem changing to G

Seem R booking class is G moving forward March 31, 2021. (My previously booked R code rez changed to G).

Jiburi
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anteater
The statement I received previously was that for previously aforementioned eligible tickets would be eligible for their original CoS bonus, but the traveler would need to contact customer care to have it manually posted. Eligible tickets were classified as being purchased prior to the announcement and for travel after the changes beginning on 3/31.

I would presume having it manually done addresses an IT issue of segmenting tickets and assigning two different CoS bonus values.

So, once 3/30 hits feel free to contact AS CC. If anyone has trouble at that point feel free to let me know.

edit: Given that the FC seating page still promotes 75% CoS bonus for FC tickets, (IMO) one would have a reasonable case to request the correction and might be able to ask CC to receive the CoS bonus for flights purchased post-announcement, but that was not addressed when I originally contacted AS.
I have a previously purchased F ticket that I'll have to try this on - outbound is before March 30, return is on March 31. They changed the flight schedule after the announcement and put me on non-preferred flights, so I changed the times, but didn't move the return from one side of the change to the other - return has always been for 3/31.

Originally Posted by simonsuo
backend processing is happening for a few hours now for all of my future reservations

Reservation temporarily inaccessible

We are currently unable to display your reservation as we transition our systems to oneworld. If you are flying in the next 24 hours, please contact us. Otherwise, please check back in a few hours.
I just went in to look into changing a flight that they changed on me to see if I would need to call in to change to better times or could do it online and I got the same thing.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 4:43 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

I think those fare classes are "tongue in cheek" and likely they should be "whY S,P,E,K,U,L,A,T,I,O,N?"

Firstly, YSBMHQLVKGTRXW, is incomplete. It is missing Z & N, refundable (and eligible) & dynamic Main cabin awards respectively. As of now, Main Cabin Fares, Saver & awards are

YS(MVP eligible) 50% COS*
BM(MVPG, eligible) 25% COS*
H(MVPG75K, eligible)*
QLVK(GGU eligible, status not needed)
GTR(Discount Main, ineligible)
Z (Refundable, eligible award)
N (dynamic, ineligible award)
W(Saver, ineligible award)

* Eligible fares provide for an immediate complimentary upgrade into the F cabin if U (upgrade) space is available. All fare classes listed above an Elite Tier are also eligible for that Tier.

AA is YMLKHVGNSQ for AS EQM earnings, BE, fare class B on AA don't earn on AS. T is used for Main Cabin awards. S is most often the fare basis that AA offers Y-UP into PE(P) or F(I)/J(I) in domestic/international F/J.

AA uses R for discounted first/business while CX uses R for PE and although not oneworld, so does SQ. AS might very well reassign a new fare class to replace discounted non Saver Main fares. That could leave R for a future "unbundled" J cabin fare that perhaps doesn't earn a COS bonus or grant AL access.

If we want to speculate further, I can see the top 2 Y fare classes dropping to a 25% COS with no other COS bonuses below that. AS may also drop EQM to 50% on Saver X fares or if they match AA you can use all your benefits including upgrades but the X fare will earn zero EQM. Maybe RDM and/or Elite Status bonus only?

There might be provisions added also for a lower Main Cabin Fare class that will be eligible for MVPG100K too, although that could be added later in the year.

Lots of speculation. I will wait for the concrete to set!

James
Has there been any news on what the new non-saver award classes are for after 3/31? We know that:
E - First Saver
T - Coach Saver
Z is now Y
Other than the above we're not sure about the status of D,A,U,V,N classes and what they now change to, if anything, thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Just checked and used to have a reservation with U/V flights which is now U/S, so U stays it appears
Old Feb 27, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Has there been any news on what the new non-saver award classes are for after 3/31? We know that:
E - First Saver
T - Coach Saver
Z is now Y

Other than the above we're not sure about the status of D,A,U,V,N classes and what they now change to, if anything, thanks.
Z class was a fully refundable Main Cabin award and was also an eligible fare for immediate upgrade into F with U availability. Without U availability, you would be moved directly to the upgrade list rather than the upgrade request queue for your status.

I have only looked at a few fare rules but what I did see was referencing Y & Y/N (revenue & award respectively) as refundable. I believe N will be the fare class for refunable Main Cabin awards which has replaced fare class Z. Interestingly, though, N class was a dynamic Main Cabin award between W & Z and pricing was tied to availability in the underlying revenue buckets R, T, G, K....... with the miles required for the award increasing as the lower revenue fare buckets filled.

I will be flying a lot this coming week so will have time to dig deeper.

James
Old Mar 23, 2021, 2:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
E - First Saver
T - Coach Saver
Z is now Y
N replaces K, the lowest fare class a GGU can be applied to.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Mar 23, 2021 at 3:06 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.