Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by chrisl137
You could do it with a lot of transcons. ~20 round trip coast to coast flights would get you there, but that's not a lot of fun (except maybe for FlyingForFun).

It's also possible with a lot of domestic F. But if you're flying everything in paid F, do most of the status benefits matter that much?
I have friends and family in the oil patch making ANC-TX/FL every week or two weeks... adds up.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tjs121
Something also to consider is that AS currently does not have any way to add EQM’s through credit card spend while AA does. Even if it’s only 20,000 max EQM (I think) it would nearly close the gap from 75k to 100k
AS certainly didn't have any issues granting up to 10K EQM on Credit Card spend during the promotion last year as a way to earn towards status without flying. 2.5k EQM was granted for each $5k of spend to a maximum of 10K EQM.

It would be easy to implement an EQM component to the AS credit card going forward. AA has added a EQD waiver to their credit card if you reach $30K in annual spend but it only applies up to Platinum Pro. I wouldn't think AS would allow a segment waiver beyond 75K if they followed suit.

James
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
After thinking about this for a few days, my conclusion is: meh. Travel is likely to be down for a while, AS has a pretty solid history of treating its elites decently, and I don’t expect a giant influx of AA flyers on AS flights, so I expect to do at least as well as I did in 2019 for a while yet, whether as MVPG with one more tier above or maybe squeaking into 75K.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I bet the number who qualify for 75K this year will be a much larger number than you think. Many, who had never held the 75K Elite level, flew MRs in the fall to reach 75K with the Bonus EQM of up to 2.63× miles flown on cheap F fares. You could earn 75K from zero by flying at most 50K in any fare class to as little as 28,518 miles in F(F, P & I).

AS eliminated the additional requirement of higher thresholds for flying AS+Partners and extended the EQM Bonus through June 30th. I don't see that lowering the ranks of 75Ks. Additionally, even AA Elites, especially those not earning elevated EQD on international Partner segments offering a multiple to spend, will be vying for 75K to maintain OWE without having to meet the already reduced but still burdensome revenue component.

75K & 100K is a lot of miles on AS only. I would not have earned 75K had I not been able to qualify with 90K AS+Partners EQM. If you are already earning 90K, the step to 100K is really insignificant. I think many more 75K Elites on AS+Partner segments probably had more than 100K than those that squeak by at 90K. I would have organically earned 75K on AS in 2020 but that was only because of the EQM from Credit Card spend and the 50% EQM bonus. Over the last three years, I have earned 388K EQM. I don't think meeting a 100K requirement is going to be difficult for a lot of 75Ks.

James
Totally disagree. The echo chamber that is FlyerTalk is not reality. AAG and every other US airline is going to be significantly lacking in their elite counts. Just because a few outliers lay claim to already qualifying for 2022 status belies the utter destruction of business travel.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thichbay
An average 4 seg transcon in F rt will get you ~10k-12k EQM. So people only need 10 rt in F which is very doable (2 weekends/month x5). I would say many people who doing MR for AS probably value only 2 things: Emerald status & RDM bonus.
Realistically how many people are going to spend that much time doing MRs for status? Your time is worth something, too, and 10 days is a lot of time doing MRs that you could spend doing something else.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
So does anyone here actually travel because they need to go somewhere? We have all done a mileage run here and there but this crazy multiple zig-zags across the county just to get status, really? What’s the point of status if you kill yourself flying for status? Asking for a friend.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
So does anyone here actually travel because they need to go somewhere? We have all done a mileage run here and there but this crazy multiple zig-zags across the county just to get status, really? What’s the point of status if you kill yourself flying for status? Asking for a friend.
I’m (pretty sure) vaccinated and live alone with aging and sick (non Covid) parents across the country, so while not completely necessary now with a higher degree of certainty to not be able to spread this virus being able to see them again would be nice
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Take the necessary precautions. I'm flying my 4th FLL-SEA-PHX-SEA-FLL this weekend because I love being in the air.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 14, 2021 at 6:42 am Reason: Redact masked profanity and personal comment.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
​​​​​​LOL why are you on a travel board judging other people traveling? STFU and live your life. Take the necessary precautions and your chance of getting covid on an airplane is the same as that airplane crashing down. I'm flying my 4th FLL-SEA-PHX-SEA-FLL this weekend because I love being in the air.
With my post above being said this is completely and utterly untrue
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
​​​​​​LOL why are you on a travel board judging other people traveling? STFU and live your life. Take the necessary precautions and your chance of getting covid on an airplane is the same as that airplane crashing down. I'm flying my 4th FLL-SEA-PHX-SEA-FLL this weekend because I love being in the air.
That’s super uncalled for, you can disagree but I think a modicum of mutual respect is called for. I love to travel and I love to fly, everyone here does or we wouldn’t be here. That said, I think I have a valid point. You can disagree all you want but this isn’t the place for inappropriate language.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Realistically how many people are going to spend that much time doing MRs for status? Your time is worth something, too, and 10 days is a lot of time doing MRs that you could spend doing something else.
I agree. Time is precious and we have to use it wisely. An average 4 segs transcon rt is about 6000 miles. As a 75k, you will get 6000 x3( COS + elite bonus) x10 trip + 50k bonus = 230k RDM . You can redeem those RDM for 3x F tickets on CX or JL that normally would cost you ~$20k. Assume you spend $5k for those 10rt (F fare), you still save ~$15k. So when people ask themselves "what can I do in my 10 days weekend so that I can afford to fly international long haul in F 3 times?" . I guess "MR for AS" is not a bad answer. Of course if you have other talents & skills that can earn you $15k in 10 days then you should not do MR at all. In the end, MR is a form of exchange your time for $.
MileageMule likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Totally disagree. The echo chamber that is FlyerTalk is not reality. AAG and every other US airline is going to be significantly lacking in their elite counts. Just because a few outliers lay claim to already qualifying for 2022 status belies the utter destruction of business travel.
You certainly are entitled to your opinions. There will be an influx of AA Platinum Pro & Executive Platinum who will fly AS for OWE. They have their status extended through 2021 but will never requalify for 2022 on $100 F fares with the EQD requirement. OWE from AS will hold them over while they rebuild in 2022. I suspect that AS decided to introduce the 100K tier in 2022 when bonus EQM will likely have ceased. They won't want an inflated new tier with bonus EQM if they introduced it in 2021. We will have to agree to disagree.

Just in case you think my "claim" of achieving 2022 status is a hoax! My account was updated on January 9th after flying 4 segments in 2021.

James
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. Time is precious and we have to use it wisely. An average 4 segs transcon rt is about 6000 miles. As a 75k, you will get 6000 x3( COS + elite bonus) x10 trip + 50k bonus = 230k RDM . You can redeem those RDM for 3x F tickets on CX or JL that normally would cost you ~$20k. Assume you spend $5k for those 10rt (F fare), you still save ~$15k. So when people ask themselves "what can I do in my 10 days weekend so that I can afford to fly international long haul in F 3 times?" . I guess "MR for AS" is not a bad answer. Of course if you have other talents & skills that can earn you $15k in 10 days then you should not do MR at all. In the end, MR is a form of exchange your time for $.
That assumes that you also have time and inclination to use the RDMs in a way that will be worth that $15K. But even if you do, there are a lot of things I can do with 10 days that are worth more to me than $15K, even if I'm not compensated for them at all. I'm generally not motivated to spend a lot of time in a metal tube in the sky so that I can spend more time in a metal tube in the sky. My employer would actually be happy if I were willing to to two LAX-BOS RTs a month (if it were possible right now), but that's way more time than I want to spend on the road.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
That assumes that you also have time and inclination to use the RDMs in a way that will be worth that $15K. But even if you do, there are a lot of things I can do with 10 days that are worth more to me than $15K, even if I'm not compensated for them at all. I'm generally not motivated to spend a lot of time in a metal tube in the sky so that I can spend more time in a metal tube in the sky. My employer would actually be happy if I were willing to to two LAX-BOS RTs a month (if it were possible right now), but that's way more time than I want to spend on the road.
I am certain that people will find a way to maximize those hard earn RDM . MR is just buying AS miles for cheap (1 cpm vs 2 cpm) and you also get other perks that dont come with buying miles with cash. Also for a lot of people, flying is definitely not "spending time in a metal tube", flying is "vacation time". If you are not motivated to fly, then dont fly. If you dont want to redeem your RDM for CX F or JL F, great, lots of people in this forum will appreciate that.
MileageMule likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am certain that people will find a way to maximize those hard earn RDM . MR is just buying AS miles for cheap (1 cpm vs 2 cpm) and you also get other perks that dont come with buying miles with cash. Also for a lot of people, flying is definitely not "spending time in a metal tube", flying is "vacation time". If you are not motivated to fly, then dont fly. If you dont want to redeem your RDM for CX F or JL F, great, lots of people in this forum will appreciate that.
I'm more concerned with AS following the same path as UA - filling up the program with people who get to the top level on low cpm tickets, so if you're flying primarily domestic, even at high cpm, you end up not getting any status benefits. After a couple years of that they realize they're incentivizing the low cpm flyers and you get a revenue based program, which is actually fine with me, it's just the transition that's a drag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.