Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Discussion of Features and Benefits of a New MVP 100K Tier (2022)

[Speculation] Discussion of Features and Benefits of a New MVP 100K Tier (2022)

Old Jan 10, 21, 3:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern California
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Alaska Gold 75K, American Plat Pro
Posts: 146
[Speculation] Discussion of Features and Benefits of a New MVP 100K Tier (2022)

One of the Alaska VP reached out to MVP Gold 75k members as part of their customer service survey. I got invited to be part of the survey.

During our phone conversation, I was briefed that Alaska is planning to introduce MVP 100k later this year. I assume that this is to match American Airlines Exec Platinum.

She told me that the announcement will come out soon.
arifjk is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 4:06 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Posts: 2,518
I pretty much hate it, but I'm not surprised. It'll be interesting to see what the requirements are, should it come to fruition.

All of you who proposed such a scheme, I hope you're happy.
buschoi, Idaho Territory and Thysk like this.
NoLaGent is online now  
Old Jan 10, 21, 4:14 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: AS G75K, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 480
I'm sure the massive holes being blown in Alaska's balance sheet right now is going to slow down any crazy rollouts. Alaska has absolutely nothing to offer a "100k". Can AA just finally die so we can be done with this madness?
rune87 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 4:28 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 1,632
Fascinating if true. It will be interesting to see if 75K is getting downgraded or if they will somehow come up with new benefits for 100Ks.
anteater likes this.
RAD_PDX is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 4:36 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 46,551
It would make no sense at all to roll out a higher qualification tier right now. Hardly anyone can qualify due to cuts in business travel and significant limitations on where we can fly.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 4:39 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Posts: 2,518
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It would make no sense at all to roll out a higher qualification tier right now. Hardly anyone can qualify due to cuts in business travel and significant limitations on where we can fly.
I agree unless they're including Lounge Access on any fare, free wifi, added GGUs, added AL passes, an RDM extra special bonus and a pony.
NoLaGent is online now  
Old Jan 10, 21, 4:43 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: PAE
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 40
I'm game if they add perks like same day standby on X fares, making X fares upgradable, (even if only to premium) and a Free Alaska LoungePass. I'll hit 75k on Feb 11, so 100k before the end of the year shouldn't be too hard.
MileageMule is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 4:46 pm
  #8  
formerly damnyourefine
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: On a plane or a beach
Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Posts: 1,242
This is great news for those of us who organically travel 100k miles, but I fear it will encourage some to mileage run.. during a pandemic.

edit for clarification: specifically, ignoring local or state guidelines regarding quarantine and stay at home / shelter in place.
Emeraldcity and Bellerina like this.

Last edited by anteater; Jan 10, 21 at 5:06 pm
anteater is online now  
Old Jan 10, 21, 4:50 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: PAE
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by anteater View Post
This is great news for those of us who organically travel 100k miles, but I fear it will encourage some to mileage run.. during a pandemic.
Flights are starting to fill again. 10am PDX-SEA this morning on a Q400 had 70 people onboard.

I doesn't matter why people are flying as long as they follow the rules and don't jeopardize the health of other flyers.
Tack likes this.
MileageMule is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 4:55 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS 75K
Posts: 2,703
The difference between AA EXP and AS 100K is that AA has many flights with 4,000+ mile stage lengths; AS has none over 3K to my knowledge. While the 50% bonus makes it fairly straightforward this year, 100K on AS metal will be a lot harder than 100K on AA metal for those of us who have a mix of domestic and international travel. Sure, partners qualify, but the difference is I can use SWUs on AA metal as an EXP (work only pays for coach); GGUs aren't going to get me into lay-flats on BA or CX.

I was planning to move my "primary" airline from AA to AS, but if AS top tier requires the same qualification as AA, AA is back to the primary slot for me--and I presume many like me for whom AS cannot serve a large fraction of my destinations on their own metal.
NoLaGent, MrSkimo and Kacee like this.
Erasmus is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 4:58 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Posts: 2,518
^ this is a much larger # than I think AS is considering...or maybe they are?
NoLaGent is online now  
Old Jan 10, 21, 5:11 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 46,551
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
The difference between AA EXP and AS 100K is that AA has many flights with 4,000+ mile stage lengths; AS has none over 3K to my knowledge. While the 50% bonus makes it fairly straightforward this year, 100K on AS metal will be a lot harder than 100K on AA metal for those of us who have a mix of domestic and international travel. Sure, partners qualify, but the difference is I can use SWUs on AA metal as an EXP (work only pays for coach); GGUs aren't going to get me into lay-flats on BA or CX.
It's pretty easy to clear the 75K threshold (or a theoretical 100K) flying partners international in J - 3 RTs to BKK on CX or JL will put you over. But right now that's impossible for most of us. And based in the bay area, AS doesn't presently offer enough coverage for me to give them even close to 100% of my domestic flights.
NoLaGent likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 5:13 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Posts: 2,518
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's pretty easy to clear the 75K threshold (or a theoretical 100K) flying partners international in J - 3 RTs to BKK on CX or JL will put you over. But right now that's impossible for most of us. And based in the bay area, AS doesn't presently offer enough coverage for me to give them even close to 100% of my domestic flights.
Same boat. Which won't float, at least this year.
Kacee and pcoll like this.
NoLaGent is online now  
Old Jan 10, 21, 5:23 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold
Posts: 1,443
Hopefully 100K doesn't become the existing 75K, with Gold becoming MVP.
Bellerina likes this.
jsguyrus is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 5:26 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Posts: 2,518
And in thinking more about this, it seems like terrible optics this year, especially towards a vast majority of 75ks that land between 75 and 99k. I would guess that's a very large %, one would think.

(full disclosure, one of which I am)
NoLaGent is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: