Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Visconti
In my view, more importantly is what constitutes the "and more" aspect of reaching 100K.
I fear one aspect will be "exclusive" priority for upgrades over American Executive Platinums on AS flights, who will then be upgraded with priority over all other AS elite levels. This would be a big incentive to go for 100K (and a huge deval of 75K).
Visconti likes this.

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
And I've decided to upgrade my requests as well. No more pony, I want a unicorn.
LOL...you know, looks as if AS is targetting the high spending SFO/LAX markets. If they want to up the ante, they had better up their game too, because these markets are brutally competitive.
Erasmus and NoLaGent like this.

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
As a gold I am used to 75K having upgrade priority and with a new 100K level that in and of itself would not affect my upgrade chances. What is going to be a huge problem is AA elites being allowed to get in on the upgrades above me. While SEA probably doesn't have a ton of AA elites if I am never going to get upgraded then I might as well be flying DL which goes to a lot more places.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
From my perspective, AS has just turned itself into DL: want first, buy first. There will be way too many EXPs/100Ks for the small front cabins on AS, especially on the routes that matter (i.e., to the islands and transcons).

To be fair, that's what I've done for the past 9 months, but I don't expect these super-cheap I fares to stick around once demand recovers, and work requires coach, so any upfares are out of pocket.
ftv and Visconti like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Erasmus
From my perspective, AS has just turned itself into DL: want first, buy first. There will be way too many EXPs/100Ks for the small front cabins on AS, especially on the routes that matter (i.e., to the islands and transcons).

To be fair, that's what I've done for the past 9 months, but I don't expect these super-cheap I fares to stick around once demand recovers, and work requires coach, so any upfares are out of pocket.
Or sooner. Most of the markets that I bought with the 30% F&F have increased their I fares by 20% or more. I was checking for a few tickets that I still need and trying to utilize the Russell Wilson 10% and noticed a huge hike, especially in the MT markets that I frequent, which are 30% higher than what they were 2 weeks ago.
FloridaFlyers and Visconti like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Or sooner. Most of the markets that I bought with the 30% F&F have increased their I fares by 20% or more. I was checking for a few tickets that I still need and trying to utilize the Russell Wilson 10% and noticed a huge hike, especially in the MT markets that I frequent, which are 30% higher than what they were 2 weeks ago.
There's been a big bump in F fares on my routes. For now, this is a big plus in terms of 75K upgrades, b/c no one's buying. For now.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:21 pm

New Elite Tier?

From the AS email this morning:

"For members who fly 100,000 miles per year, were also introducing a new tier starting in 2022. This will recognize our absolute top echelon road warriors and offer perks such as increased bonus miles, top upgrade priority on Alaska flights, lounge benefits, and more. Look for more details later in 2021."

I wonder if this new tier will become equal to OW Emerald or if 75k will stay and this is just above that.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Count me among those who believe that timing for this is very bad. It would be better to wait for the current qualification exceptions to expire .
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:04 pm

Hi -

So is the consensus here that there is no benefit to trying to reach 100K this year?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by dayone
Count me among those who believe that timing for this is very bad. It would be better to wait for the current qualification exceptions to expire .
I prefer advance notice. An AS needs every passenger they can get now.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Orwaid
So is the consensus here that there is no benefit to trying to reach 100K this year?
Unless there is more news, it's likely that there won't be any benefit other than accruing more lifetime miles in 2021
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:28 pm

OK, I was wrong. I see it, I believe it. Floodgates are open.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
Just made 75K for the first time this year. I am wondering if elite benefits we get on other airlines will extend to our traveling partner? If that's the case maybe only one of us needs to get to 100K
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by mtnsider
Just made 75K for the first time this year. I am wondering if elite benefits we get on other airlines will extend to our traveling partner? If that's the case maybe only one of us needs to get to 100K
75k can grant MVP, so maybe MVPG? No one will know until they actually release program details, which is "later in 2021".
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CAVU
If a fourth tier is created and the life time status for million milers is still Gold MVP then it would be a reduction in the value with two tiers ahead of you instead of one.

Delta did this to me when I hit 2MM and received Gold status with only Platinum above. They added Diamond and made no adjustments effectively devaluing the "annual complimentary status. Gold on Delta is nowhere near where it used to be.
This is one of my concerns as a MM'er as well.

​​​Lifetime gold just gets chipped at.

I have hit over 100K in a year, but not sure I'll be able or willing to maintain that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.