Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Changes to Partner Award Chart Post-oneworld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2021, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Is the award chart going to remain unchanged after joining One World? Just want to see if it's better to book award travel now rather than later.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadianidol
Is the award chart going to remain unchanged after joining One World? Just want to see if it's better to book award travel now rather than later.
No-one knows if there will be a change in value or the award rules
Would expect it to be changed to include the new OW ff partners. 7 out of the 13 are already ff partners. Some of the new ff partners are small airlines with limited routes/destinations
Anyway international travel in 2021 could be restricted. Will take years for international travel to get back to 2019 levels.

Main AS-OW thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...31-2021-a.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 8, 2021 at 6:43 pm Reason: Added image
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
BA and IB has like a million charts. Unlikely that AS will need to change anything
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
If you find a good deal on an award flight, especially in a premium cabin, I'd highly recommend booking it as soon as you see it.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Do we know what happens if we book an award under the current chart, and the flights get changed or cancelled later in the year?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:05 am

I would not expect it to be honored at the old rate. Just like Aeroplan with mini-rtw, any change would subject you to the new chart.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
I would not expect it to be honored at the old rate. Just like Aeroplan with mini-rtw, any change would subject you to the new chart.
Aside from everyone assuming rates will change (protip: AS's rate for JL J/F to Japan from North America isn't actually really, vastly different from AA's- the only award that's some kind of screaming deal in the AS chart is CX premium cabin, good luck flying them to South Africa these days), my experience isn't the same. Voluntary changes (I want to change my flights) get done at a new rate. Involuntary ones (the airline changes) get the old chart but are subject to availability.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 3:38 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The pricing isn’t super-sweet on the current chart, but the stopover rules certainly are.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
The pricing isn’t super-sweet on the current chart, but the stopover rules certainly are.
There’s zero reason why they have to change stopover rules in order to join Oneworld. Plenty of other airlines allow stopovers.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
There’s zero reason why they have to change stopover rules in order to join Oneworld. Plenty of other airlines allow stopovers.
Agree no reason for AS to change their current award rules
Please list OW and other airlines that allow free award stopovers?
Most BA awards are segment based, so "stopover" has no meaning. AA, AS and others are zone based.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Please list OW and other airlines that allow free award stopovers?
The British Airways Avios Multi-Carrier Award Chart

I picked that one just to emphasize "yes, even BA has an award that lets you do stopovers if you want".

I am not going to sit here and list this out for all of OW (I already know CX does an award with stopovers too) because I am getting very, very tired of all these "OH NOES TEH SKY IS FALLING BECAUSE AS IS JOINING ONEWORLD" threads. It literally does not have to be that way. Oneworld airlines have awards that offer stopovers. The decision on whether or not an airline offers them has zero to do with being in or joining an alliance.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I anxiously await to see if they'll allow more than one partner per award. That opens up a plethora of options previously unavailable.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I anxiously await to see if they'll allow more than one partner per award. That opens up a plethora of options previously unavailable.
It’s literally impossible to use UL, MH or S7 in conjunction with AS since none of them serve the USA, so either AS changes that rule or they have partners that have to be used as intra-regional awards with no US chart and without any other partner. Given that they have to be involved with OW for issuing awards like Cathay or BA’s multi-partner award and various OW tickets...

https://www.oneworld.com/world-travel
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS already has intra-regional awards that do no touch USA or have AS flights
e.g. Australia to Australia (QF) and Asia to Asia (5 airlines - UL & MH could be added)
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AS already has intra-regional awards that do no touch USA or have AS flights
e.g. Australia to Australia (QF) and Asia to Asia (5 airlines - UL & MH could be added)
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts
Yes, but AS doesn’t have partners that don’t serve North America. QF, SQ, CX, JL, AY, LA, KE, EI, HU all have regional award types that don’t touch North America, but they all serve North America. You can’t really mix UL/MH/S7 with AS (how would you get to KUL or CMB to access a gateway?) and typically the award chart is unique for each airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.