Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:04 am

Just to add some additional info to FlyerDigits replies to initial question from tobikosan

Originally Posted by FlyerDigits

4. Does a Premium seat selection qualify for the Amex airline credit? I don't know. Reading in to your question I also don't know if there is a cut-off date for the transaction for a 2021 credit, assuming it qualifies.
​​​​​​
It’ll qualify. If you’re lucky it’ll auto credit otherwise you’ll have to say the right things to Amex when asking for a manual credit back for your “seat assignment” fees you paid to AS (As the wise TravelingZoomer would say ''Don’t mention anything about an 'upgrade'!) I’m too also not sure about the cutoff though seeing as it’s the 11th hour for using this years credits. I don’t know for sure, but you’d think they’d have the capability to keep things in order and that the credit doesn’t need to post before the end of the year, but it might be that the charge needs post this year to qualify for this year’s credit. You might want to call/chat with Amex real fast about what happens to charges from this year and the credit posting the following one though.

5. If your wife cancels her flight what happens to the money? I will also look for an assist here but I *think* the credits for everything go to your WIFE's WIFE's wallet.

​​​​​​
The funds for the cancelled flight and “seat assignment” fees to PE will go back into your account/wallet if you book her ticket.

Using what I learned within here on FT, to use up my credit I booked a ticket for my partner using wallet funds, went back and “assigned” her seat to PE paying on my card, and although it didn’t auto credit (there were reports/data points on here that if it was less than $50 Amex’s system would auto credit them. It didn’t work for me, but they also were the first AS purchases I charged so it makes sense.), so after 4 weeks I contacted Amex via chat and once it was manually processed/credited I cancelled the flight and both the ticket funds and “seat assignment” fees were deposited back into my AS wallet.

Fingers crossed tobikosan in that you’re able to still squeeze this benefit out in time!

I hope everyone has a great holiday and start of the new year!

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Dec 31, 2021 at 10:41 am
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by tobikosan
My question was on utilizing the amex credit how could I buy the base fare in wallet funds and the additional premium seat "seat selection" on the amex to be refunded back to my wallet rather that have to purchase the base and premium combined on my amex and have that larger outlay be what goes back into my wallet. Does that makes sense? Another poster seemed to imply that was possible.

1. Can you use YOUR wallet funds to buy a ticket for your WIFE? Yes.

2. Can you wait to purchase a Premium seat? Yes.

3. Can you use your Amex to pay for a Premium seat? Yes. Just complete the ticket purchase using your funds then after that purchase is complete go back in to the reservation to pay for a Premium seat. Just be sure to select credit card as the payment method for the seat selection.
​​​​​​
You can do this all at once, rather than purchasing the ticket and then going back and buying the Premium seat. When you’re initially buying the ticket, select a Premium Class (PC) seat. When you go to checkout and pay, if you’re signed in and have Wallet funds available, select Wallet funds as the payment method. You’ll then be told that you have to use a credit card to purchase the seat upgrade. Use your Amex Plat card just for the seat fee. When you cancel the ticket (after the 24 hour free cancellation period), you can refund back to your wallet or get an email certificate. I think you can actually get a refund to any AS account that you can login to.
tobikosan and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Thank you all for the great information, it's amazing all the intricacies the members here can pass along. I got it all sorted. One last question having to do with NYE, I have only been in this game a few short years but the first year I got into it Cathay Pacific had a pretty good First class Vietnam to USA round trip for about.a $1000 and I bought a few of those. They seemed like a pretty good deal, the seats were nice, the organic pajamas are nice and the 100s of thousands of AS miles. Any way when is the next NYE sale like that, I have been very patient

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.