Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
Of the 95k EQM, 10k is from Bank of America EQM
If the 10K of BoA helped you cross the 75K mark, the AS system may not acknowledge your 75K of actual flying later on and credit you the 50K. Calling Customer Care should clear it up.
anteater and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by flymonthly
I believe you are correct that you can't use both wallet funds and a credit certificate in the same purchase. However, you're also correct that if you add the credit certificates to your wallet, you can use the wallet total for your purchases.
Thanks for the info. Another question I have is regarding the current no-fee change policy. Is there any restriction on what I can change my flights to? In other words, do I have to keep the original departure and arrival airports or can I make a completely new booking? I am trying to read the policy that is online on the Alaska website and it keeps saying I can "change" my flight without a fee, but they don't say I can "cancel" my flight to get travel credit but I read elsewhere that is still allowed. I am a little confused if Alaska's website is essentially making change/cancel interchangeable.

Last edited by HIFlya; Dec 27, 2021 at 9:44 pm
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Thanks for the info. Another question I have is regarding the current no-fee change policy. Is there any restriction on what I can change my flights to? In other words, do I have to keep the original departure and arrival airports or can I can I make a completely new booking?
​​​​​​
if you cancel a flight and add the funds to your wallet, you can spend that on any AS booking.
samosa, be_rettSEA and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
From what I thought I have done, the C16 gates are a ramp down to the tarmac the across to your specific plane, either a Q400 or E175. I have used the elevator multiple times down due to my new knees.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Thanks for the info. Another question I have is regarding the current no-fee change policy. Is there any restriction on what I can change my flights to? In other words, do I have to keep the original departure and arrival airports or can I make a completely new booking? I am trying to read the policy that is online on the Alaska website and it keeps saying I can "change" my flight without a fee, but they don't say I can "cancel" my flight to get travel credit but I read elsewhere that is still allowed. I am a little confused if Alaska's website is essentially making change/cancel interchangeable.
Unless it's a Saver (basic economy) fare, you can cancel your flight and the funds will go into your AS "wallet" (or receive a credit certificate by email), cancel and use the value of the trip to book a different trip, or just change the booking with different dates, departure and/or arrival airports.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:31 pm

Thanks for the confirmation from everyone!
Old Dec 29, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Originally Posted by vanillabean
If the 10K of BoA helped you cross the 75K mark, the AS system may not acknowledge your 75K of actual flying later on and credit you the 50K. Calling Customer Care should clear it up.
Thank you, that worked, I called and the next day the miles were credited. Now I only have to wait the 6-8 weeks for my BA miles to credit and then I can be 100k!
Old Dec 29, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I have qualified for 100K. I need to know what the rules are for EQM and segments going forward IF I book a AS/AS/AA metal on AS website, and also if done the reverse. Is there a thread for this?
Old Dec 29, 2021, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I have qualified for 100K. I need to know what the rules are for EQM and segments going forward IF I book a AS/AS/AA metal on AS website, and also if done the reverse. Is there a thread for this?
If your AA segment is Marketed by AS, it will earn as an AS flight and show as an Alaska Airlines flight in your activity. You will earn 100% EQM on all economy fare classes. AS doesn't market AA Basic Economy which don't earn in Mileage Plan. As for the AA segment, I don't know for sure if it counts towards the AS flight requirements but likely it won't despite looking like an AS flight & crediting as an AS flight.

The only caveat is that you won't be "eligible" for upgrades on the AA metal segment. Or, at least, it won't happen automatically. An AA agent at the airport or a gate agent can add you to the upgrade list but by that time it is usually too late.

Here is an example of an AS Marketed, AA operated flight between MIA & ORD.

I have booked MIA-PHX for next year with an AS marketed segment operated by AA. MIA-DFW-SEA-PHX that will earn 3,882 EQM on a $101 base fare. $133 with taxes & fees.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Dec 29, 2021 at 4:24 pm
Old Dec 29, 2021, 4:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I’m guessing you mean ticket stock/marketing carrier/operating carrier with the three slashes.

In addition to what James has said, for tickets bought on Alaska stock (so on Alaska website) you cannot use certificates to buy AA operated flights
tobikosan likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I’m guessing you mean ticket stock/marketing carrier/operating carrier with the three slashes.

In addition to what James has said, for tickets bought on Alaska stock (so on Alaska website) you cannot use certificates to buy AA operated flights
You are correct. Thank you for pointing that out. If you are using a companion certificate, you won't be presented with any options that include an AS codeshare. You also cannot use wallet funds. I don't have any experience with Gift Certificates. In theory they should be new money.

James
tobikosan and TravelingZoomer like this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If your AA segment is Marketed by AS, it will earn as an AS flight and show as an Alaska Airlines flight in your activity. You will earn 100% EQM on all economy fare classes. AS doesn't market AA Basic Economy which don't earn in Mileage Plan. As for the AA segment, I don't know for sure if it counts towards the AS flight requirements but likely it won't despite looking like an AS flight & crediting as an AS flight.

The only caveat is that you won't be "eligible" for upgrades on the AA metal segment. Or, at least, it won't happen automatically. An AA agent at the airport or a gate agent can add you to the upgrade list but by that time it is usually too late.

Here is an example of an AS Marketed, AA operated flight between MIA & ORD.

I have booked MIA-PHX for next year with an AS marketed segment operated by AA. MIA-DFW-SEA-PHX that will earn 3,882 EQM on a $101 base fare. $133 with taxes & fees.

James
"The only caveat is that you won't be "eligible" for upgrades on the AA metal segment. Or, at least, it won't happen automatically. An AA agent at the airport or a gate agent can add you to the upgrade list but by that time it is usually too late."

So as AS 100K we miss out on AA upgrade possibilities most often?
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
"The only caveat is that you won't be "eligible" for upgrades on the AA metal segment. Or, at least, it won't happen automatically. An AA agent at the airport or a gate agent can add you to the upgrade list but by that time it is usually too late."

So as AS 100K we miss out on AA upgrade possibilities most often?
No, what he means is it is better to book on the AA website, rather than AS website, for AA flights because the upgrade process is smoother. It is not intuitive, but just how things are right now. It may change.
tobikosan and chrisl137 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You are correct. Thank you for pointing that out. If you are using a companion certificate, you won't be presented with any options that include an AS codeshare. You also cannot use wallet funds. I don't have any experience with Gift Certificates. In theory they should be new money.

James
I'm not sure if you meant that you can't use wallet funds with a companion certificate, but you absolutely can (gift certificates also). Wallet funds or gift certificates can't be used with codeshares.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flymonthly
I'm not sure if you meant that you can't use wallet funds with a companion certificate, but you absolutely can (gift certificates also). Wallet funds or gift certificates can't be used with codeshares.
No, I said you can't use wallet funds on an AS itinerary that includes an AS marketed, AA operated segment. You also can't use a companion certificates for itineraries with an AS codeshare. When you search with a companion certificate, you won't be presented with codeshare options.

However, you can piece together an itinerary and then apply the companion certificate later but obviously, you won't be able to apply the companion certificate if your itinerary includes any codeshares so it is something to be aware of.

James
samosa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.