Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2021, 4:04 pm

What is the cheapest way to extend the validity of my Alaska miles without flying?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by puchong
What is the cheapest way to extend the validity of my Alaska miles without flying?
I think surveys work, or what I ended up doing was registering a card for MileagePlan Dining and getting takeout from a local restaurant using my Amex restaurant credit.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by flymonthly
No, the F icons apply to ANY immediate upgrade. If you're not going to buy F, I would lean towards buying the $219 upgradeable fare and setting an ExpertFlyer (EF) alert for upgrade space or if you don't have EF, checking for upgrade availability as often as you can. The GGU upgradeable fare, being only $20 more than the non-saver fare, is likely at the lowest it's going to be. Even if you aren't able to use a GGU, the slightly higher fare class may move you up on the waitlist for a complimentary upgrade during your 120 hour upgrade window.
Are you saying that one can use a GGU to upgrade himself? Did I read it correctly?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by hyedmd
Are you saying that one can use a GGU to upgrade himself? Did I read it correctly?
Of course. That is how I use most of my GGUs. I want the sure thing rather than play upgrade roulette so I buy GGU eligible fares and burn as many GGUs as I can get my hands on. They can be used by anyone.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Finkface
Of course. That is how I use most of my GGUs. I want the sure thing rather than play upgrade roulette so I buy GGU eligible fares and burn as many GGUs as I can get my hands on. They can be used by anyone.
Got it. I always thought it's for guest upgrades only. Thank you for clarifying.

It made me re-read the link on AS website: Guest upgrades are electronic upgrade codes given to MVP® Gold members to upgrade friends or family members who are not traveling with them, or for their own use for immediate upgrade when not purchasing a qualifying fare.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
if i prepay baggage on a refundable ticket, do i get a refund on those fees should if i choose to cancel the ticket? guessing yes but just wanted to confirm, what i could find on the alaska website didn't seem definite

nevermind forgot you can't prepay till 24 hours before

Last edited by merridius; Dec 25, 2021 at 6:59 pm
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:26 pm

I have wallet dollars expiring in December, but I don't get my companion fare code until February. If I book a flight now, can I add a companion and use my code later?

Thank you for the help!
Old Dec 25, 2021, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by daisies5
I have wallet dollars expiring in December, but I don't get my companion fare code until February. If I book a flight now, can I add a companion and use my code later?

Thank you for the help!
No, unfortunately. The companion code is a discount code and you must use it when you book your flights. It must be used for two people on the same reservation and can’t be applied retroactively.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 12:25 am

I have some funds in my wallet, and I have a couple of credit certificates that I have not deposited yet into my wallet for flexibility. Is there any way to use my wallet funds and use a credit certificate for the balance for my purchase? It seems like in the payment choices, I can only choose wallet funds OR credit certificates, but not both? If I add my credit certificates to my wallet, does it just pool all the value together so that would be a way to give me access to all the funds in total for my purchases?
Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by HIFlya
I have some funds in my wallet, and I have a couple of credit certificates that I have not deposited yet into my wallet for flexibility. Is there any way to use my wallet funds and use a credit certificate for the balance for my purchase? It seems like in the payment choices, I can only choose wallet funds OR credit certificates, but not both? If I add my credit certificates to my wallet, does it just pool all the value together so that would be a way to give me access to all the funds in total for my purchases?
I believe you are correct that you can't use both wallet funds and a credit certificate in the same purchase. However, you're also correct that if you add the credit certificates to your wallet, you can use the wallet total for your purchases.
samosa and anteater like this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Currently snowed in at Lake Tahoe and unsure if we’ll be able to make the 11AM flight tomorrow as the main interstate freeway into Reno for the airport is closed. We checked into the flight, it seems unlikely we’ll make it in time, and the flight is likely to take off too. If it matters, flight is AS 2070 from Reno to Los Angeles, and tickets are first class. We’ve been on hold for a few hours and didn’t get a call back so I was wondering if anyone here knows how this’ll play out? Will they reschedule us? Do we need to do anything or is it in the airlines hands?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:38 am

Is gate C16B a jetbridge gate or a walk to plane gate? I haven't flown out of the high C gates in a long time. Just trying to prepare myself for potentially a cold walk to a plane (E175).

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by catmndu
Is gate C16B a jetbridge gate or a walk to plane gate? I haven't flown out of the high C gates in a long time. Just trying to prepare myself for potentially a cold walk to a plane (E175).

Thanks!
It is a jet bridge gate.
catmndu likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by anteater
It is a jet bridge gate.
Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
As a 75k when are you suppose to receive the 50k bonus miles? I have the status but don't see those bonus miles in my account. I'm at 95k EQM for 2021 and I'm still waiting for another additional 27k EQM to be credited from an F BA trip I took 6 weeks ago to get me to 100k (I have the 24 segments on Alaska metal). Of the 95k EQM, 10k is from Bank of America EQM and 35k is rollover EQM from 2020 travel. Am I missing something here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.