Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:20 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Wallet question. We have tons of money in our wallet. Now we need to make a change on an existing ticket to an earlier flight. We are MVPG. 2 hr wait to speak to anyone in reservations of course. Why on earth can we not pay the money for the more expensive ticket (by 69 dollars) from our wallet. What kind of fraud is this? It is useless it seems. Anyone care to explain. We are flying PDX-RNO and want the earlier in the day flight. Please explain someone so I am not unnecessarily annoyed.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
James, I got confused because whenever I was purchasing X fare, I couldn't preview and choose seats. This time these seats were visible and selectable, so I was not sure if it's a new feature or something I just missed because I don't buy much X fares.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
They are Saver seats available at booking. This is not new. They are usually the last few rows of the Main Cabin. If there aren't any available at booking, it is likely that they have been spoken for & you will be added to the "awaiting seats" list and assigned one at the gate.

I say usually as sometimes there are many more available..... I have seen a few flights where every seat behind Premium was designated as an S seat. Typical AS IT glitches.

James
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by ijkh
Why on earth can we not pay the money for the more expensive ticket (by 69 dollars) from our wallet. What kind of fraud is this?
It’s not any kind of fraud. Wallet funds can be used to purchase tickets. Sounds like you’re trying to upfare?

My last two calls to reservations were less than 5 min.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
StrandedinLA and samosa like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Wallet question. We have tons of money in our wallet. Now we need to make a change on an existing ticket to an earlier flight. We are MVPG. 2 hr wait to speak to anyone in reservations of course. Why on earth can we not pay the money for the more expensive ticket (by 69 dollars) from our wallet. What kind of fraud is this? It is useless it seems. Anyone care to explain. We are flying PDX-RNO and want the earlier in the day flight. Please explain someone so I am not unnecessarily annoyed.
Have you tried to change your flights online? A fare difference may apply but if the new flight is less you will get additional credit in your wallet. An add/collect can come from your wallet if it is an AS metal only itinerary. You can't use wallet funds on an itinerary that has 1 or more AS codeshare segments. Another option might be to wait until OLCI and do a "fee free" SDC; same day change. SDC is complimentary for MVPG.

James
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:31 pm

Cancel and rebook. Unless you bought a throwaway saver fares
ijkh likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:35 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
Cancel and rebook. Unless you bought a throwaway saver fares
Thanks I did just that and found an orphan BofA discount cert to add to the mix. Saved the day and some money. Thanks for the support. FTers always are WAY better than trying to waste 2 hrs with phone assistance.

Off to NYE at Lake Tahoe. Happy holidays to all.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:12 pm

Was there some upgrade policy where you'll get moved up only to your aisle/window preference? Or was that only for premium economy?

Does Alaska have an exception for 9F in premium economy on the A321? I notice the windows in Row 9 are often the only non-windows available in premium economy and I haven't gotten upgraded to them on my own (though they are available for self-upgrade). I wondered if that's because they don't have an actual window in that row and elite flyers preferring a window would be miffed if they accepted that "upgrade".
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
First mileage run, Partner Earn Rules Help!

I’m 1263 miles from attaining mvp gold and trying to find a reasonable mileage run to get across the finish line. I’m NJ based so I’m likely stuck flying American to get this. I was reading the partner earn page for AA on alaskas website and noticed it mentioned a minimum of 500 miles earned for flights under 500 miles. Does this mean for eqms as well and how does fare class effect eqms in regards to this minimum? Would a fare with %50 earn get all 500 eqms or just 250? Thanks for the help everyone!
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by layoverdan
I’m 1263 miles from attaining mvp gold and trying to find a reasonable mileage run to get across the finish line. I’m NJ based so I’m likely stuck flying American to get this. I was reading the partner earn page for AA on alaskas website and noticed it mentioned a minimum of 500 miles earned for flights under 500 miles. Does this mean for eqms as well and how does fare class effect eqms in regards to this minimum? Would a fare with %50 earn get all 500 eqms or just 250? Thanks for the help everyone!
Yes, 500 EQMs minimum for any fare class on AA, even O and Q.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Yes, 500 EQMs minimum for any fare class on AA, even O and Q.
Any non basic economy fare class. AA B class does not earn in Mileage Plan. Yes, B class on AA domestically isn't really a thing at the moment but short international flights you will still find B fares so it is something to be aware of.

James
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by samosa
Welcome to flyertalk. This is addressed on the Alaska website:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines

It would be based on the original fare class.
That's only if the upgrade is booked into class "C". Usually those aa.com advance "move to first" offers are actually upfares that book into J or I (but sometimes C).

See, for example, this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33801443-post396.html
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Question re: BA: I'm still relatively new to Mileage Plan – did a status challenge earlier this year to migrate away from AA, given their dollar-spend requirement – but I'm wondering how long it takes for AS to process flights taken on BA. I flew SFO-LHR-ATH starting two weeks ago today, but the mileage still hasn't shown up on my AS account. I booked a ticket in BA F (after finding a fare sale in the Premium Fares forum here) specifically for purposes of hitting MVP Gold 75K before the end of the year – and with AS's huge elite mileage bonus for paid F fares, I should easily hit it – but I'm a little paranoid after discovering the AS "loophole" last summer that prohibits codeshare flights booked via BA for AA metal (or possibly the reverse – can't recall offhand) from receiving any AS mileage, period (I flew a one-way ARN-LHR-DFW leg that time). This time, however, I made sure to both book & fly directly on / through BA.

So: is 2+ weeks a more or less normal turnaround time for AS to process partner flights? And do they normally process the first leg of a RT trip quickly, or wait until the full ticket has been used? (I'm flying the reverse route – ATH-LHR-SFO – back to the US on the 30th.)
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirker

So: is 2+ weeks a more or less normal turnaround time for AS to process partner flights? And do they normally process the first leg of a RT trip quickly, or wait until the full ticket has been used? (I'm flying the reverse route – ATH-LHR-SFO – back to the US on the 30th.)
The issue is likely on BA's side. AS won't know you have flown a partner until the partner pushes through your flight details to Mileage Plan.

In the American Airlines forum there is a thread; "incorrectly denied partner airline mileage request." Many AAdvantage Members are missing mileage credit from BA flights and denied credit when requested via AAdvantage. It appears now to be a known issue from BA but still without resolution.

I would write an email to AS and attach copies of your boarding passes explaining that you have not yet received credit & those credits will qualify you for AS MVPG75K Elite status. Send the email to [email protected]

James
57skibird likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Dec 22, 2021 at 10:53 am
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
My niece and her husband are planning a trip to Cabo in late February/Early March. They have some flight credits to use. I thought I would help them out with funds I have in my Alaska wallet. Any suggestions on how to make this work? Chatting with Alaska doesn't seem to work. Hold times are long right now. I'm trying the text option to reach out to Alaska now but I thought hearing from the wisdom of Flyertalk would be helpful . Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by catmndu
My niece and her husband are planning a trip to Cabo in late February/Early March. They have some flight credits to use. I thought I would help them out with funds I have in my Alaska wallet. Any suggestions on how to make this work? Chatting with Alaska doesn't seem to work. Hold times are long right now. I'm trying the text option to reach out to Alaska now but I thought hearing from the wisdom of Flyertalk would be helpful . Thanks!
The only way this would work would be if you bought one of the tickets in full with the funds from your wallet on a separate reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.