Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Technically speaking yes, flights must be AA/AA to be eligible for partner upgrades. In practice I was able to get on the waitlist and cleared at the airport and gate after asking the check in agents
oh no, this is very unfortunate. I was still able to choose premium seats at booking, Im debating whether to call Alaska Airlines partner representative or just call American Airlines to see if someone can get me on the upgrade list. I feel like if I wait till the airport there is a potential that the city will be gone, but right now both of my flights have a wide-open first class , and Id love to get upgraded at the 72 hour mark. Do you think its possible that if I called someone would be able to help get me on the upgrade list?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Rain Gonen
oh no, this is very unfortunate. I was still able to choose premium seats at booking, Im debating whether to call Alaska Airlines partner representative or just call American Airlines to see if someone can get me on the upgrade list. I feel like if I wait till the airport there is a potential that the city will be gone, but right now both of my flights have a wide-open first class , and Id love to get upgraded at the 72 hour mark. Do you think its possible that if I called someone would be able to help get me on the upgrade list?
Perhaps. Be the data point you want to see
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:22 pm

Thanks, but definitely still unfortunate that Im not automatically on the upgrade list.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Here's a question - I have a domestic flight itinerary next week on American Airlines that includes two flight segments. It is not an Alaska codeshare, the flight is on AA, I just have my AS Mileage Plan number listed in order to get the credit there. Both segments of the booking have booking code G.

According to Alaska's website, I should earn 75% of the miles flown on that flight to my Mileage Plan account.

Here's my question: Today, on aa.com, I see an offer to "Move to first". Does anyone here have experience doing so with a AS mileage plan number on the ticket? And if so, did it change the earning on Alaska to the 200%/150% EQM listed on the Alaska's chart?

If it helps answer my question, the fare basis code for the upgraded ticket would be G7AIZNI1.

Thanks!

Last edited by remyjette; Dec 13, 2021 at 10:40 pm
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by remyjette
Here's a question - I have a domestic flight itinerary next week on American Airlines that includes two flight segments. It is not an Alaska codeshare, the flight is on AA, I just have my AS Mileage Plan number listed in order to get the credit there. Both segments of the booking have booking code G.

According to Alaska's website, I should earn 75% of the miles flown on that flight to my Mileage Plan account.

Here's my question: Today, on aa.com, I see an offer to "Move to first". Does anyone here have experience doing so with a AS mileage plan number on the ticket? And if so, did it change the earning on Alaska to the 200%/150% EQM listed on the Alaska's chart?

Thanks!
Welcome to flyertalk. This is addressed on the Alaska website:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines

It would be based on the original fare class.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Question: Does Alaska allow re-fareing (or repricing/reissuing, whatever the right term is) of tickets from an economy booking to a paid first booking? I have to book through a corporate system at work but it books directly (e.g. isn't third-party controlled), but I'm required to choose the cheapest non-saver fare. In some cases, I'd prefer to pay my own way to paid first vs. depending on an upgrade, and/or I'd prefer the mileage plan earnings in paid first bookings. I haven't seen a way to do this via the website - are phone agents generally good with this?

I'm specifically asking about issuing a new ticket in the higher class, not a "paid upgrade" in the original booking class.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Question: Does Alaska allow re-fareing (or repricing/reissuing, whatever the right term is) of tickets from an economy booking to a paid first booking? I have to book through a corporate system at work but it books directly (e.g. isn't third-party controlled), but I'm required to choose the cheapest non-saver fare. In some cases, I'd prefer to pay my own way to paid first vs. depending on an upgrade, and/or I'd prefer the mileage plan earnings in paid first bookings. I haven't seen a way to do this via the website - are phone agents generally good with this?

I'm specifically asking about issuing a new ticket in the higher class, not a "paid upgrade" in the original booking class.
I have many times upgraded myself to F (normal F classes, not the U class upgrade) from a booking in economy. I think you can change fight on the website to do it yourself, but I usually call. You cannot do it via text because they cant take payments, but the phone agents shouldnt have any trouble doing it over the phone. You will just have to pay the difference between the economy price you paid and current F price. I would recommend looking up the current F price and know how much you paid (or in this case the company paid) as I have had an agent misquote me at first but I think it was a new agent and she was able to fix it when I told her the F price on the website. The confirmation code and such will remain the same.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bellerina
I have many times upgraded myself to F (normal F classes, not the U class upgrade) from a booking in economy. I think you can change fight on the website to do it yourself, but I usually call. You cannot do it via text because they cant take payments, but the phone agents shouldnt have any trouble doing it over the phone. You will just have to pay the difference between the economy price you paid and current F price. I would recommend looking up the current F price and know how much you paid (or in this case the company paid) as I have had an agent misquote me at first but I think it was a new agent and she was able to fix it when I told her the F price on the website. The confirmation code and such will remain the same.
Thanks. I'll look again on the website - if that's possible, that's the easiest route for me.
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:49 pm

I call American Airlines, They say they cannot touch Alaska Airlines ticket stock. They say to call Alaska Airlines.

I call Alaska Airlines they say only American Airlines can get you on the American Airlines upgrade list so you should call American Airlines.
its a horrible never ending cycle, but its exactly what I expected. It is very unfortunate. May I ask, how did you know this? Is it written somewhere or do you just have experience with this? If there is some sort of article or link on Alaska or American website Id love to read it over!
samosa likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:05 am

What fares should I expect for early August midday Friday ANC-SEA? AS currently wants $400/ow/main, they have about 20 flights that day. Delta had been $200 but just went up. Was really hoping to book on AS. Our flight up to FAI was only $129.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Is it a known feature to offer a seat selection in X cabin? I noticed it yesterday but not sure if I missed that option for some time.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by hyedmd
Is it a known feature to offer a seat selection in X cabin? I noticed it yesterday but not sure if I missed that option for some time.
Yes, though it varies.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
What fares should I expect for early August midday Friday ANC-SEA? AS currently wants $400/ow/main, they have about 20 flights that day. Delta had been $200 but just went up. Was really hoping to book on AS. Our flight up to FAI was only $129.
AS' summer fares from about mid May through mid August seem sky high right now compared to AA and DL. Whether they will come down is anyone's guess. I would tend to doubt it.
StrandedinLA likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by hyedmd
speaking to that point. What are those s seats in the back. Never a seat I have chosen but always wondered what they are.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by samosa
speaking to that point. What are those s seats in the back. Never a seat I have chosen but always wondered what they are.
They are Saver seats available at booking. This is not new. They are usually the last few rows of the Main Cabin. If there aren't any available at booking, it is likely that they have been spoken for & you will be added to the "awaiting seats" list and assigned one at the gate.

I say usually as sometimes there are many more available..... I have seen a few flights where every seat behind Premium was designated as an S seat. Typical AS IT glitches.

James
anteater likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.