Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Jan 16, 21, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I have a mileage run ticket booked that starts and ends in LIH where I live. It is on 4 different tickets. AS rescheduled the first one(they stopped flying here) and re routed me through HNL. Not fun starting a run four hours earlier in the covid capital of the islands but not the end of the world. They gave me no compensation. Then they cancelled the return. It was bought on the recent 40% off sale, It was Den-Sea-LIH. To get to LIH I can only fly out of PDX SAN or SJC early morning. The SEA and LAX get in at 405pm and 420pm which is too late to connect to flight. It is illegal to stay over at airport there even if I wanted to. Then they said that even if I pay for my own hotel in PDX they will not pay for my HNL to LIH., "because of how deeply the ticket was discounted'.

That seem right? They were very nice but I wouldn't say helpful. Almost all of the rest of the tickets are in F. Also they would not let me change any ticket except the first one even though they were obviously connected. Then they turned around and changed my return with the only option of being refunded the amount. I know it is tough times but am I out of line in thinking I should be compensated at least to the tune of the PDX hotel and the HNL- LIH ticket?
Old Jan 16, 21, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by tobikosan View Post
I have a mileage run ticket booked that starts and ends in LIH where I live. It is on 4 different tickets. AS rescheduled the first one(they stopped flying here) and re routed me through HNL. Not fun starting a run four hours earlier in the covid capital of the islands but not the end of the world. They gave me no compensation. Then they cancelled the return. It was bought on the recent 40% off sale, It was Den-Sea-LIH. To get to LIH I can only fly out of PDX SAN or SJC early morning. The SEA and LAX get in at 405pm and 420pm which is too late to connect to flight. It is illegal to stay over at airport there even if I wanted to. Then they said that even if I pay for my own hotel in PDX they will not pay for my HNL to LIH., "because of how deeply the ticket was discounted'.

That seem right? They were very nice but I wouldn't say helpful. Almost all of the rest of the tickets are in F. Also they would not let me change any ticket except the first one even though they were obviously connected. Then they turned around and changed my return with the only option of being refunded the amount. I know it is tough times but am I out of line in thinking I should be compensated at least to the tune of the PDX hotel and the HNL- LIH ticket?
I would say expecting them to pay for a hotel in Portland is pretty out of line. Normally they work to get you to your destination, but you dont really have a destination, so theres not much they can do.
tobikosan and nineworldseries like this.
Old Jan 16, 21, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
I would say expecting them to pay for a hotel in Portland is pretty out of line. Normally they work to get you to your destination, but you dont really have a destination, so theres not much they can do.
Not only that, but the concept of a mileage run out of LIH right now is beyond impractical. End of story.

Fold this hand, take the wallet, and stay home. I think millions of travelers would love to be where you are right now, Mahalo!
tobikosan and anteater like this.
Old Jan 16, 21, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
It's not a total mileage run in that i have a need to get to the states but the flying I am doing after getting off island first time in 9 months is all mileage. Also I did not expect them to pay for my hotel. I hoped that they would get me to the destination I contracted them to do.
Old Jan 17, 21, 10:19 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by tobikosan View Post
It's not a total mileage run in that i have a need to get to the states but the flying I am doing after getting off island first time in 9 months is all mileage. Also I did not expect them to pay for my hotel. I hoped that they would get me to the destination I contracted them to do.
What are the T&Cs of the discount code you used? That could shed some light on what is allowed for rerouting / IRROPS.

Also, having individual tickets instead of a RT/multi city does reduce their burden of fully rerouting you since its not one trip per se.
tobikosan and nineworldseries like this.
Old Jan 18, 21, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not that this should surprise anybody, but in my current search for award space returning from Europe this coming summer I've found some issues with US Gateway-SEA segments. What do I mean by this? Well, my limited observations are finding it exceptionally difficult to get from most of the large One-World US Gateways (i.e., LAX, DFW, ORD, JFK) back to Seattle. That is of course, unless you're willing to pay the extortion surcharges for BA, or the crazy EI redemptions. In my case, I'm able to get from CPH to ORD or JFK via HEL. But there is literally no late afternoon awards available at the required level. This forces you to either spend the night in a hotel ($$), or go with BA. No, I don't consider Icelandair an option because I don't want to spend 12+ hours in B757 economy seats.

So, is it me just being whiny? Or is this something others have also come across? Unfortunately, we have a very specific window this year preventing us from adjusting our schedule to fit award availability.
Old Jan 18, 21, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food View Post
So, is it me just being whiny? Or is this something others have also come across? Unfortunately, we have a very specific window this year preventing us from adjusting our schedule to fit award availability.
What dates are you booking? It is very likely that anything outside 2 to 3 months on AS is a placrholder for a flight that may or may not operate. From AS' perspective, it doesn't make sense to open up award inventory on a flight that likely won't operate. In the near-term, Saver A space has been reappearing. I would secure the partner inventory, hope that actually flies and watch for domestic space to open as the date draws closer.

James
Old Jan 18, 21, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
What dates are you booking? It is very likely that anything outside 2 to 3 months on AS is a placeholder for a flight that may or may not operate. From AS' perspective, it doesn't make sense to open up award inventory on a flight that likely won't operate. In the near-term, Saver A space has been reappearing. I would secure the partner inventory, hope that actually flies and watch for domestic space to open as the date draws closer.

James
We will do just that. The one thing we were planning was to book CPH-HEL-ORD on EY then buy ORD-SEA to get home. Should we instead just hold off on the ORD-SEA segment and but it at a later date if the award space doesn't open up?
Old Jan 18, 21, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food View Post
We will do just that. The one thing we were planning was to book CPH-HEL-ORD on EY then buy ORD-SEA to get home. Should we instead just hold off on the ORD-SEA segment and but it at a later date if the award space doesn't open up?
I believe you meant AY, Finnair; EY is Etihad. If the ORD-SEA fare is reasonable I would book it now. You can cancel or change it later should award space open up or you may be eligible for a refund if the flight is cancelled or has a > 1 hour schedule change. Alternatively, you could add ORD-SEA at a later date (stopover) and use it for a return on a one-way SEA-ORD for a weekend getaway if the paid option is favourable. I was flying PHX-SEA-ORD in Main for $100.

James
WillTravel4Food likes this.
Old Jan 19, 21, 3:54 am

Would this "activity" extend the mileage expiration?
Old Jan 21, 21, 2:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, World of Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum
Cancellation Policy for AS EK Partner Award?

Hi,

My first time booking an Alaska partner award on EK J for my wife to travel back in early March from DXB-LAX.

Before I book, I'm trying to understand what would happen if
  1. The flight gets cancelled by EK?
    • Rebook on the next flight?
    • Or a full refund of miles + cash? (cancellation fee of $125?)
  2. New Travel restrictions (like border closing, or not open to non-Americans) restrict her from flying?
    • Option to rebook for a later date?
    • Full refund of miles+cash? (cancellation fee of $125?)

Last edited by spgn00b; Jan 21, 21 at 4:26 am
Old Jan 21, 21, 10:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Even as MVPG, Saver tickets can only be refunded to wallet if cancelled more than 24 hours after booking, correct? And if I book a saver ticket as MVPG and then choose a premium economy seat during seat selection, then 25 hours later cancel, does that fee also get refunded to wallet? Or does it go back to my card?
Old Jan 21, 21, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by emag_eh7 View Post
Even as MVPG, Saver tickets can only be refunded to wallet if cancelled more than 24 hours after booking, correct? And if I book a saver ticket as MVPG and then choose a premium economy seat during seat selection, then 25 hours later cancel, does that fee also get refunded to wallet? Or does it go back to my card?
Correct - peace of mind waiver allows all passengers to cancel Saver fare tickets, but not make other changes. For premium class refunds, they also go back to wallet funds (see highlighted portion below - from this page):
emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 21, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
Correct - peace of mind waiver allows all passengers to cancel Saver fare tickets, but not make other changes. For premium class refunds, they also go back to wallet funds (see highlighted portion below - from this page):
Great, thank you!

FWIW, I also asked on Twitter (after posting here, realized Twitter team could probably help) and they said that if you cancel online, the seat selection fee goes to wallet, but if you call in then they can refund to card for MVPG. Kind of an interesting note!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 23, 21, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Hello folks. I'm looking to clarify my confusion about a first class upgrade to MVPs... When I book a main cabin as an MVP member, I see the message "One or more of your flights does not have upgrade space available." I can see that for both direct and connection flights. Does that mean there is no immediate upgrade available or there won't be any available upgrade at all? In other words, can I expect to have an upgrade if I read this message while making my reservation?
Thank you and stay safe.

Search this Thread