Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Jan 9, 21, 3:39 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: California
Posts: 285
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I remember reading that this loophole has now been closed. If you are talking about Chase UR points, it seems the trick no longer works and the residual value gets held in the Expedia system rather than your wallet. See the thread below, although it is a couple of years old. There are other threads that I remember reading on this as well. Maybe check the Chase UR forum?

See this thread and start from post 26.

Combining Alaska Airlines companion fare with UR points/book & cancel
Thank you for your reply. I actually used Bank of America Merrill point. But apparently it works the same way as Expedia. I can cancel and the refund come back as a voucher in Merrill's system. I have a year to use that voucher for Alaska Air ticket via Merrill.
mkpkmp is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 12:17 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Posts: 1,102
Originally Posted by mkpkmp View Post
Thank you for your reply. I actually used Bank of America Merrill point. But apparently it works the same way as Expedia. I can cancel and the refund come back as a voucher in Merrill's system. I have a year to use that voucher for Alaska Air ticket via Merrill.
I believe all the point systems are now using bulk fares. So that prevents carrier from doing much with them, they have to send you back to the travel agency that bought the bulk fare.
williwaw is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 11:09 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 34
How long does it take for refunds to post to wallet currently? I have a full Y fare that I need to cancel and would prefer just to reuse the funds rather than them going back to the credit card, but I need to book the ticket within 24 hours.
mattdk88 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 21, 11:20 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 2,192
Originally Posted by mattdk88 View Post
How long does it take for refunds to post to wallet currently? I have a full Y fare that I need to cancel and would prefer just to reuse the funds rather than them going back to the credit card, but I need to book the ticket within 24 hours.
The funds will go to your wallet instantly. Ive done this countless times, including this morning, and thats always been the case for me.
RAD_PDX is offline  
Old Jan 11, 21, 12:25 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 2,180
Originally Posted by mattdk88 View Post
How long does it take for refunds to post to wallet currently? I have a full Y fare that I need to cancel and would prefer just to reuse the funds rather than them going back to the credit card, but I need to book the ticket within 24 hours.
You won't be able to deposit a refundable fare into your wallet as that option won't be shown, assuming it's a refundable fare (or had been booked within 24 hours allowing a free refund regardless of fare). You can change the ticket to your new ticket, any difference in fare would be refunded if it's less than what you have booked.
alphaeagle is offline  
Old Jan 11, 21, 12:26 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 2,192
Originally Posted by alphaeagle View Post
You won't be able to deposit a refundable fare into your wallet as that option won't be shown, assuming it's a refundable fare. You can change the ticket to your new ticket, any difference in fare would be refunded if it's less than what you have booked.
You can call in and have it done.
RAD_PDX is offline  
Old Jan 11, 21, 1:37 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 34
Thanks for the help, I'll call and have them credit it to my wallet.
mattdk88 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 4:48 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 60
I'm booking a r/t itinerary and researching noticed that Korean Air looks to be one-way pricing now, I don't think it was like this even 3 or 4 days ago. Anything else I'm missing here with this change or have they just finally brought KE inline with the rest of their partners?
ericande is offline  
Old Jan 13, 21, 1:35 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 9
Any reason American Airlines flights would not be showing up when booking through Alaska? Historically (and somewhat recently), if I used Alaska's site to search for a flight from SEA > LFT, it would give me the option fly Alaska from SEA > DFW and then an American flight from DFW > LFT. Now it is only giving me options (the unreasonably expensive kind) to use Delta for the last leg. I've confirmed that American is still flying DFW > LFT and they have several times that would work. I've played with dates and a couple other locations but can't find any American Airlines options. Seems odd as we're only getting closer to Oneworld.
sizzlersam is offline  
Old Jan 13, 21, 2:17 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 2,180
Originally Posted by ericande View Post
I'm booking a r/t itinerary and researching noticed that Korean Air looks to be one-way pricing now, I don't think it was like this even 3 or 4 days ago. Anything else I'm missing here with this change or have they just finally brought KE inline with the rest of their partners?
If you are booking a round-trip, you'll see one-way prices for each direction. Even if Korean isn't being used in both directions. I did just check and only saw r/t prices for a one-way reservation so if you are seeing one-way prices for a one-way reservation, I'd be curious what dates and city pairs you are looking at.

Originally Posted by sizzlersam View Post
Any reason American Airlines flights would not be showing up when booking through Alaska? Historically (and somewhat recently), if I used Alaska's site to search for a flight from SEA > LFT, it would give me the option fly Alaska from SEA > DFW and then an American flight from DFW > LFT. Now it is only giving me options (the unreasonably expensive kind) to use Delta for the last leg. I've confirmed that American is still flying DFW > LFT and they have several times that would work. I've played with dates and a couple other locations but can't find any American Airlines options. Seems odd as we're only getting closer to Oneworld.
When was the last time you saw an AA codeshare flight? I had thought they pulled most of their codeshares out of DFW with AA a while back. But I would assume new ones will be added in with joining Oneworld. I haven't seen any info on that but would be odd if they didn't have more codeshares once they are in Oneworld. It may not be until then, or when they get all of the IT parts of it in place, before they start adding more of them.
alphaeagle is offline  
Old Jan 13, 21, 3:28 pm
  #41  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,380
Originally Posted by sizzlersam View Post
Any reason American Airlines flights would not be showing up when booking through Alaska? Historically (and somewhat recently), if I used Alaska's site to search for a flight from SEA > LFT, it would give me the option fly Alaska from SEA > DFW and then an American flight from DFW > LFT. Now it is only giving me options (the unreasonably expensive kind) to use Delta for the last leg. I've confirmed that American is still flying DFW > LFT and they have several times that would work. I've played with dates and a couple other locations but can't find any American Airlines options. Seems odd as we're only getting closer to Oneworld.
It appears AS does not have a codeshare for the AA segment on a revenue ticket at this time. However the route is available as a Partner award.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Jan 13, 21, 3:43 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 9
Interesting. You are correct, I can book it if I choose to pay with points.
sizzlersam is offline  
Old Jan 15, 21, 3:45 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 571
I got the 30% discount code for being MVP and I have some some flight credit from last year that I'd like to combine to speculatively book a flight in May; the flight credit is enough to completely cover the ticket. The worst case that happens if I wind up cancelling is it just goes back to flight credit, right? Does that also extend the expiration date?
Eurynom0s is offline  
Old Jan 15, 21, 6:32 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: On a plane or a beach
Programs: Yes
Posts: 2,287
Q: If I have a flight booked as an I fare class and want to exercise a SDC to another flight, AS will put me into FC as long as a seat is available correct? 75K Gold.
anteater is offline  
Old Jan 16, 21, 9:40 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Denver
Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 1,821
Originally Posted by anteater View Post
Q: If I have a flight booked as an I fare class and want to exercise a SDC to another flight, AS will put me into FC as long as a seat is available correct? 75K Gold.
Yes, seat just needs to be available in the same class.
anteater likes this.
safari ari is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread