Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Are award flights on partner metal free to change/cancel? I remember reading somewhere that partner awards still costs $125 to redeposit the miles?
Old May 24, 2021, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
Are award flights on partner metal free to change/cancel? I remember reading somewhere that partner awards still costs $125 to redeposit the miles?
I asked the very same question, and the CSR told me that there are no fees for partner awards as well.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:35 pm

I last flew Alaska in July 2019. On my account I see that my miles are set to expire in July unless there is activity in my account. I bought a ticket this month for travel in August. Is that enough activity to keep my account active? And if not, would donating 1000 miles to a charity through my account be sufficient?
Old May 26, 2021, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by tornado163
I last flew Alaska in July 2019. On my account I see that my miles are set to expire in July unless there is activity in my account. I bought a ticket this month for travel in August. Is that enough activity to keep my account active? And if not, would donating 1000 miles to a charity through my account be sufficient?
Someone far more knowledgeable will likely chime in soon and give you a definitive answer to your specific question(s), but if you're worried now I've seen theopinionterminal(dot)com* suggested for similar situations in the past while I was a lurker.

Do a quick survey and the miles post pretty quickly from those who've used it and it extends your mileage account/counts as an activity.

*I guess I cant post links yet as I have less than 5 posts
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Just got MVP Gold. Happy Dance!

Saw in my welcome email an MVP Gold Customer Care number and another number for Reservations. Is there a difference? Isn't 90% of what we call Alaska about related to a reservation so we would just call that number? Is the customer care like a complaint number?
Old May 26, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
Just got MVP Gold. Happy Dance!

Saw in my welcome email an MVP Gold Customer Care number and another number for Reservations. Is there a difference? Isn't 90% of what we call Alaska about related to a reservation so we would just call that number? Is the customer care like a complaint number?
I never noticed a difference in hold times between no status, MVP and now Gold. It just seems that it gets busy and it's busy for everyone or it's not busy and everyone can get through. To be fair, I'm basing this off of just a few calls in since most of my issues can be dealt with easily online. On the plus side I did notice upgrades as a Gold are MUCH better and more common than as an MVP. The booking into PC at T-72 hours is really nice.
Sky Dreamer and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
I never noticed a difference in hold times between no status, MVP and now Gold. It just seems that it gets busy and it's busy for everyone or it's not busy and everyone can get through. To be fair, I'm basing this off of just a few calls in since most of my issues can be dealt with easily online. On the plus side I did notice upgrades as a Gold are MUCH better and more common than as an MVP. The booking into PC at T-72 hours is really nice.
If they have the phone number you're calling from then they already know your status before it gets picked up and can route it appropriately. I don't think I've ever waited more than a few minutes, but I also generally avoid peak hours.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In another thread I've mentioned that I had an F to Y downgrade to an MX related misconnect the other day. In the past whenever AS has messed up they've been proactive about compensation - generally with an email and a voucher the next day. I haven't seen anything yet from this one, though they did handle the recovery well while I was dealing with them at the airport. Do I need to bug them first now to ask about a refund of the difference? it's not much - I bought the ticket during peak covid when the difference between Y and F was almost nothing, but I'd still rather get a voucher back and use it for some more EQM.
Old May 27, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
If I purchase a reservation in M class, the 75K instant upgrade fare, with 2 pax in the PNR, one of whom is 75K, the other is MVPG, do both pax get the instant UG if available and immediately added to the waitlist if not available? Meaning does the 75K status apply to the other pax in the res immediately? Otherwise it would be better to buy separate tix, one the 75K fare, and the MVPG UG fare (B).

I'm almost embarrassed to ask the question, and I feel like I ought to know the answer
Old May 27, 2021, 9:10 pm

What's the deal with the window seats in row 9 (Premium Economy) on the A321s? Seat Guru is marking them as bad and saying there's no window. I did see a post on here from someone saying that is incorrect. What's the deal? I like looking and taking photos out the window so I really don't want to be on a transcon with no window or one of those ones where you basically can't see out unless you ham your head up to the seat in front of you. Rather have main economy seat than a Premium seat with no view or challenging view.

From a photo, I see how it could go either way since it's the row in front of the exit door

Old May 27, 2021, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K / DL PM / Bonvoy Platinum / HHonors Gold /mLife Gold / WOH Explorist
What are some of the most common mileage run routes out of SEA? While I’d love if they also had some U space regularly, I’m more concerned about getting the bonus EQM before the end of June as I still don’t have any legit business travel for months.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Bjayjay81
What are some of the most common mileage run routes out of SEA? While I’d love if they also had some U space regularly, I’m more concerned about getting the bonus EQM before the end of June as I still don’t have any legit business travel for months.
Unfortunately, you’ve waited too long to get anything resembling a good deal in terms of a mileage run. That said, people typically like New York/Florida, although I’ve actually found that some of the “cheapest” fares (lowest CPM) these days are weekday flights to Hawaii.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K / DL PM / Bonvoy Platinum / HHonors Gold /mLife Gold / WOH Explorist
[deleted because I posted twice for some reason.]
Old May 28, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: AS 75K
A few months ago I was looking into runs from PDX and DEN was super cheap. Not sure if SEA is similar but I'd think so.
Old May 28, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
SEA isn't a great place for originating mileage runs. Often LAX and SAN have cheaper transcon and Hawaii fares (some with SEA connections). So depending on how much running you want to do, it may be worth starting with a positioning flight.

Having said that, I had found some $149 Main Coach fares SEA to BOS. I think they are gone now, unfortunately. With vaccination rates up and states opening up, there appears to be a lot of pent up travel demand driving up fares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.