Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:58 pm

As I was at the boarding gate, I got bumped to a new seat that ended up having someone else next to me. I looked back and the row I was originally supposed to sit in was empty.

Any reason they would do that?
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by musicdude91
As I was at the boarding gate, I got bumped to a new seat that ended up having someone else next to me. I looked back and the row I was originally supposed to sit in was empty.

Any reason they would do that?
What was the load like? If it is a very light load, they occasionally have to move people for weight and balance. In the future though, I'd just ask an FA when onboard and see if you can move back.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I have a string of first class mileage run flights that i booked earlier during that great sale. LIH_SEA_LAX_FLL to start then a bunch of others ending up in LAS a few days later. I've booked the hotels . I just got a message from AS that they need to change that first flight, I'm not sure what part. What are my options? rebook all of it? Right now its in two weeks and I'm felxible enough I could do it in 4, all I want is the miles. Any insights from the Pros? Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Similar to tobikosan I got a "your travel plans have changed" email for AS15 BOS-SEA Fri 1/22 5:00PM. They rebooked me on AS25 (7:00AM) and I'd really rather not go out that early so I'm looking for another Friday but not if they are cancelling the 5:00. Any idea what's going on? Is there any way to rebook at the original price/discount?
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Regarding the last two posts - I've been through this and had the most luck talking to a live person. They are usually pretty accomidating since they are the ones that prompted the change.
tobikosan and joachimm like this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
I’m not sure where else to offer this, but this thread seems best.

I’ll have the opportunity to pass along feedback to management in a week or two. DM me if you have any particular feedback or comments for Alaska regarding their operations or loyalty program.

Once I get an official reply to everything I’ll post a single thread with the Q / Feedback and Responses.

Hope everyone had a good NYE!
Not sure this matters or not to them. But I get a sense from some colleagues that a number of business travelers are likely grounded until Q4 and likely are giving up on maintaining status. Making for a bunch of free agents in Q1 2022. Curious if they are working on ways to court flyers in this situation. But it might be too far out to matter.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
Regarding the last two posts - I've been through this and had the most luck talking to a live person. They are usually pretty accomidating since they are the ones that prompted the change.
Ditto.

I've had this happen a number of times and they've never hesitated to put me on any flight I wanted, even if it ended up being a day earlier or later or changed the routing.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Consider signing up for the Alaskan program. I spend a couple of hours on Alaskaair.com. It appears to be a wonderful program. Just one question. Will I be able to use flight credits from cancelled flights to purchase tickets for anyone or just for me?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta, American Express, Budget, Alamo, Enterprise, Avis, Hertz, Alaska
I just posted my issue in the forum thread on Alaska retention before I saw this post. I'll see if I can go back and get a copy of it and post here (or maybe the moderator will move here?) wasn't sure where to post it.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta, American Express, Budget, Alamo, Enterprise, Avis, Hertz, Alaska
Unhappy Between a rock and hard place with Alaska and BA

Does this fit here?
Anyone with an Alaska Air branded Bank of America card might be interested in my experience on rention offers.
I have contacted BA (via phone 3 different times, Twitter, and by phone, BA's rention supervisor) no less than a dozen times to request a fee waiver for 2021 due to the fact that I will not be flying until Covid safe (vaccine and proof it's working). I know someone who got a waiver and told me to keep trying, to keep calling.
My reason for the waiver? Mostly Covid and a downturn in work. But I have increasingly found it difficult to use basic mileages (25K rt) award flights (jacked up to 40-75k requirements on short run flights) on Alaska, and the companion fare perk or baggage perk are mostly useless to me.

Each time I have been told, they can't waive the fee and the only way to get the waiver is to cancel my card. They say this is a contract dictate from Alaska Airlines and they (BA) have a no say or leeway in providing waivers. They tell me I will lose my Alaska miles within a year of closing this account and then they try to swing me over to a Bof A non-branded card.

I have had my Alaska card for 18 years and have only used the companion perk 2 times. I usually have a carry-on so that perk isn't a huge winner for me either. But I do use Alaska routes more than any other so that's why I kept the card. But even at $75 annual fee, this is of low benefit to me.

In any case, I finally contacted Alaska Air and let them know I was bailing on their AA Signature card and would be directing all my card purchase capture to Delta branded cards I have also had for 25+ years. They responded and told me it was simply NOT TRUE that they have any contract with BofA that precludes a waiver or mileage bonus (Rention). That is totally up to the bank.

The whole game stinks. If I cancel my card I lose the credit history and credit extension that buoys FICO scores (mine is currently 850 but!). If I pay the $75, I am basically throwing money away. It's like putting money in a savings account paying under .5% interest right now; you lose money saving money. I'd love to see someone in Congress deal with this kind of credit card thievery. I am literally a captive consumer caught in a Mobius circle of credit card pain. But hey, I have learned my lesson.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Consider signing up for the Alaskan program. I spend a couple of hours on Alaskaair.com. It appears to be a wonderful program. Just one question. Will I be able to use flight credits from cancelled flights to purchase tickets for anyone or just for me?
Unlike discount codes which may be limited depending on T&C, you can use cancelled ticket funds to purchase flights for others. There are three forms of credits- left on the cancelled ticket, exchanged for a credit certificate, or deposited into your My Wallet account. The credit certificate can be used directly on a new ticket purchase or deposited into your or anyone else's My Wallet account. Once deposited into My Wallet, it can still be used to buy a ticket for another person but cannot be transferred to their own My Wallet account or undeposited.

Also keep in mind that if Alaska cancels the flight, you can request any of the above options or a refund back to your original form of payment.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: AS Peon
Are there any restrictions on where pets can be located in the cabin? My SO and I are moving across the country with our two cats, so I'm considering booking F (actually using companion pass to book Y and using MVPG upgrades to F, if that matters) so that we all have a bit more space. However, I'm not sure if there would be some restriction about pets only being in Y or something. I assume that bulkhead and emergency rows are a no go for sure, but beyond that I'm uncertain.

Seems kind of silly, but just not sure!
Old Jan 9, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
Are there any restrictions on where pets can be located in the cabin? My SO and I are moving across the country with our two cats, so I'm considering booking F (actually using companion pass to book Y and using MVPG upgrades to F, if that matters) so that we all have a bit more space. However, I'm not sure if there would be some restriction about pets only being in Y or something. I assume that bulkhead and emergency rows are a no go for sure, but beyond that I'm uncertain.

Seems kind of silly, but just not sure!
Generally there can be only one pet carrier in First for the entire cabin. There's still a complete restriction on pets in First in Airbus, although I'm not certain if it's just left in from when it was all ex-VX recliners or is still being applied to Airbus with refurbished or new seating. Other than those, there no restrictions on upgrading when traveling with pets.

Y cabin is limited to 5 pet carriers and cannot sit in bulkhead, exit row, or airbag seatbelt seats.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/policies/pets-traveling-with-pets
emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 12:34 pm

I used credit card points to book my AS flight. I would like to cancel and get the fund back to my wallet. Online it doesn't allow me to do that. When I called service desk, she can't do it either. Is there a way for me to cancel and get the fund to my wallet?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mkpkmp
I used credit card points to book my AS flight. I would like to cancel and get the fund back to my wallet. Online it doesn't allow me to do that. When I called service desk, she can't do it either. Is there a way for me to cancel and get the fund to my wallet?
I remember reading that this loophole has now been closed. If you are talking about Chase UR points, it seems the trick no longer works and the residual value gets held in the Expedia system rather than your wallet. See the thread below, although it is a couple of years old. There are other threads that I remember reading on this as well. Maybe check the Chase UR forum?

See this thread and start from post 26.

Combining Alaska Airlines companion fare with UR points/book & cancel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.