Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Mar 4, 21, 3:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
From my experience, AA flights post to MP on Tuesdays; overnight from Monday midnight. I have flown AA on a Monday evening and it posted the next day. If you fly Tuesday onward, it will post the following Tuesday.

James
Thank you, James. My ORD - IAH flight was on Monday evening (7-10pm). I dont expect to get a lot of miles. But this is the first time I flew on the AS partner, and Im trying to get an idea how earning miles on partners works.
Old Mar 4, 21, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
A newbie here at AS. Have a ton of questions. Diving all in on AS and got the visa card. So far I have been flying pay first. Now that I have the companion discount associated with the Visa card, I am contemplating coach with the premium seats.

I am a platinum with AA. After March 31 would I be able to choose premium seat at the time of purchase? at saver or main cabin level? I fly IAH-SEA, the premium seats costs $69 each direction if I pay for the main cabin fare. Has AS published any information on the subject. I haven't been able to find it on their website.
Old Mar 4, 21, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly View Post
A newbie here at AS. Have a ton of questions. Diving all in on AS and got the visa card. So far I have been flying pay first. Now that I have the companion discount associated with the Visa card, I am contemplating coach with the premium seats.

I am a platinum with AA. After March 31 would I be able to choose premium seat at the time of purchase? at saver or main cabin level? I fly IAH-SEA, the premium seats costs $69 each direction if I pay for the main cabin fare. Has AS published any information on the subject. I haven't been able to find it on their website.
I can say that at least for saver fares, you certainly won't be able to select premium class seats for free. They are available for purchase, however. This is the case with AS elites as well.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 4, 21, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA G, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
AS hasn't published any information on this (except existing rule about no Premium access on Saver fares), and anything you see on this site is pure speculation, and there is a lot of it. Although the discussion is mostly AS access to AA MCE/F upgrades. We are just going to have to wait until AA & AS give more details.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Mar 4, 21, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
"Peace of Mind Waiver" - Am I understanding the language correctly?

I need to buy a ticket for travel on 12/24/2021 which I am ready to purchase at today's price.

If I elect not to travel at that time, my ticket's value will be preserved until 12/23/2022 (one year from date of scheduled travel) rather than the typical one year from date of booking, provided that I book it by 3/31/2021?

Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 21, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG

Originally Posted by joachimm View Post
AS hasn't published any information on this (except existing rule about no Premium access on Saver fares), and anything you see on this site is pure speculation, and there is a lot of it. Although the discussion is mostly AS access to AA MCE/F upgrades. We are just going to have to wait until AA & AS give more details.
It was announced back in November that AS elites will have access to Main Cabin Extra on AA. And AA elites will have access to Premium Economy on Alaska.

The Alaska press release: Alaska Airlines' elite flyers will earn added benefits on American Airlines in 2021
In the spring, all Alaska elite members will receive complimentary access to preferred seats when traveling on American Airlines, including Main Cabin Extra.
The American press release: American Airlines and Alaska Airlines Introduce Enhanced Offerings for Customers in 2021
Select elite members will also receive complimentary access to extra legroom seats and additional preferred seating options at time of booking and same day flight changes.
So yes, either on March 31st or sometime after. On Alaska non-saver fares at least.
Old Mar 4, 21, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle View Post
So yes, either on March 31st or sometime after. On Alaska non-saver fares at least.
Will I have to include my AA number on the reservation? I would like to credit my miles to AS.
Old Mar 5, 21, 11:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Will I have to include my AA number on the reservation? I would like to credit my miles to AS.
The benefits you qualify for will be based on the status level of the FF# entered on the PNR. I'm not saying it's impossible, but aside from finagling with the submitted FF# while at the airport you'll need to chose preferred benefits or credit location and go with it. If the FF# is one in the same, then you're good to go. I once did something kinda sorta like this several years ago. I used DL miles to book an AS flight, then went into the AS PNR and entered my AA FF# that gave me the better benefits.
Old Mar 6, 21, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food View Post
The benefits you qualify for will be based on the status level of the FF# entered on the PNR. I'm not saying it's impossible, but aside from finagling with the submitted FF# while at the airport you'll need to chose preferred benefits or credit location and go with it. If the FF# is one in the same, then you're good to go. I once did something kinda sorta like this several years ago. I used DL miles to book an AS flight, then went into the AS PNR and entered my AA FF# that gave me the better benefits.
Wouldn't that only work for outbound?
Old Mar 6, 21, 9:18 pm

The Alaska ex-virgin planes, do they still use viasat wifi or do they have gogo wifi now? An upcoming jfk to Seattle flight I'll only book with Alaska if they give gogo wifi since I get that free, otherwise book Delta.
Old Mar 8, 21, 5:19 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
The Alaska ex-virgin planes, do they still use viasat wifi or do they have gogo wifi now? An upcoming jfk to Seattle flight I'll only book with Alaska if they give gogo wifi since I get that free, otherwise book Delta.
Most are GoGo 2Ku, but there are 8 planes that still have the ViaSat.
https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/a320.html
Old Mar 8, 21, 9:23 pm

Just booked a RT flight on Alaska from Chicago ORD to SFO in the middle of April. The non-stop prices going there were $79 Saver, $99 Main, and $179 First. The prices coming back were $99 Saver, $119 Main, and $329 First. I decided to book First class there and Main class back so my total was around $300. I don't have any status with Alaska and don't fly First class so I have some general first class questions.

1) It appears you get Lounge access with first class. Since Alaska is joining one-world I should be able to access the AA Admirals Club lounge at Chicago O'Hare with first class ticket, right?
2) From my research it looks like food offered is a Turkey Sandwich or you can pre-order a meat and cheese plate, and people seem to prefer the cheese plate?
3) First class complimentary beverages at this time are limited to pop/wine/beer. Can you get multiple servings, do the flight attendants stop by a few times?
4) The first class upgrade cost going there was only $80 more than Main which seemed reasonable, thoughts?
Old Mar 8, 21, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by cjchaps View Post
I don't have any status with Alaska and don't fly First class so I have some general first class questions.
1) It appears you get Lounge access with first class. Since Alaska is joining one-world I should be able to access the AA Admirals Club lounge at Chicago O'Hare with first class ticket, right?
No, you will not get access to the Admirals Club with a domestic first class ticket.
2) From my research it looks like food offered is a Turkey Sandwich or you can pre-order a meat and cheese plate, and people seem to prefer the cheese plate?
I like them both. I think the turkey sandwich is a little more substantial than the fruit and cheese plate (there is no meat with it).
3) First class complimentary beverages at this time are limited to pop/wine/beer. Can you get multiple servings, do the flight attendants stop by a few times?
You are correct on the beverage offerings, and yes, the flight attendant will come around multiple times and offer refills.
4) The first class upgrade cost going there was only $80 more than Main which seemed reasonable, thoughts?
Yes, a good deal for sure. There are a lot of great deals on paid first class fares right now and you found one.
Old Mar 8, 21, 10:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cjchaps View Post
Just depends what you're in the mood for. I tend to have the fruit and cheese plate on morning flights and the sandwich on afternoon/evening flights. Photos of both HERE.
Old Mar 8, 21, 11:19 pm

Thanks for the answers!

Search this Thread