Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50% Bonus on EQM (1/1/2021-12/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Will insure that spouse and kid will requalify for MVPG. Once they both get vaccine then perhaps will,have them join me on some biz trips and make run for 75K (and increase or insure not having non-family member seat mate). They are both starting year with 15K under their belts.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
This makes me wonder if it's worth it to go for 75k this year?

Stats: Currently Gold. Wife currently MVP. I have enough flights with this promo already booked to put me at about 48,xxx EQM and wife will easily qualify for MVP again.

I've got $690 in my wallet. Since my wife will already be MVP in 2022 that benefit is negated. Hmmmm
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by buzglyd

Stats: Currently Gold. Wife currently MVP. I have enough flights with this promo already booked to put me at about 48,xxx EQM and wife will easily qualify for MVP again.

I've got $690 in my wallet. Since my wife will already be MVP in 2022 that benefit is negated. Hmmmm
50k miles for earned 75k. Only you can decide if it's worth it, but that is a tangible benefit. That being said, maybe you have miles coming out your ears.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by buzglyd

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
50k miles for earned 75k. Only you can decide if it's worth it, but that is a tangible benefit. That being said, maybe you have miles coming out your ears.
Additionally, your upgrade waitlist status as a 75k and traveling with your wife is a huge one for you both, not to mention the added RDM you'll be accruing.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:07 pm

Hi -

And don't forgot those 1st class lounges you can access on TATL/TPAC flights with OW Emerald later this year...
flytoeat, tobikosan and NoLaGent like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

And don't forgot those 1st class lounges you can access on TATL/TPAC flights with OW Emerald later this year...
0% chance you’d be able to access any of them, either because the world won’t let in Americans or CX/QF/JL won’t be operating them.

MAYBE BA lounge at jfk but it’s such a bad F lounge to begin with
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
0% chance you’d be able to access any of them, either because the world won’t let in Americans or CX/QF/JL won’t be operating them.

However, the OP is talking about reaching 75k this year, which would give him OWE through 2022. The odds of many of them being open by then are far better.
tobikosan and Bellerina like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Other tangible benefits to consider: Of course "worth" of these additional benefits will be a personal decision.
  • Oneworld Emerald
  • 25% more Elite Bonus RDM (100% - 125%)
  • Selecting Premium at booking, all fare classes except Saver
  • Higher on the upgrade list
  • Upgrades clearing from T-120
  • Nominating someone for MVP status
  • 4 Alaska Lounge Passes
  • 4 additional Gold Guest Upgrade certificates
  • H class eligible for immediate upgrade with U space

For the MVP (who flew 20K+ miles) achieving MVPG flying 26.7K pre-bonus.
  • Oneworld Sapphire
  • .100% more Elite Bonus RDM (50% to 100%)
  • Selecting Premium at booking from K class (also GGU eligible fare) or at T-72 for ineligible fare classes
  • 4 Gold Guest Upgrades
  • Upgrades clearing from T-72
  • Ability to extend upgrade benefits to a companion on the same PNR.
  • Complimentary Same Day Changes
  • Standby & Waitlist on full flights
  • Complimentary premium drink in Main.

James
eponymous_coward and NoLaGent like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jan 3, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer

Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Other tangible benefits to consider: Of course "worth" of these additional benefits will be a personal decision.
  • Oneworld Emerald
  • 25% more Elite Bonus RDM (100% - 125%)
  • Selecting Premium at booking, all fare classes except Saver
  • Upgrades clearing from T-120
  • Nominating someone for MVP status
  • 4 Alaska Lounge Passes
  • 4 additional Gold Guest Upgrade certificates
  • H class eligible for immediate upgrade with U space

For the MVP (who flew 20K+ miles) achieving MVPG flying 26.7K pre-bonus.
  • Oneworld Sapphire
  • .100% more Elite Bonus RDM (50% to 100%)
  • Selecting Premium at booking from K class (also GGU eligible fare) or at T-72 for ineligible fare classes
  • 4 Gold Guest Upgrades
  • Upgrades clearing from T-72
  • Ability to extend upgrade benefits to a companion on the same PNR.
  • Complimentary Same Day Changes
  • Standby & Waitlist on full flights
  • Complimentary premium drink in Main.

James
I started looking closely at things and it's starting to look worth it, given the small price difference between Y and F for probably most of this year, and that I'll probably start having biz travel in the fall, and for sure next year. Only a little stretch to hit 75K by buying F tickets for my normal travel and getting the two multipliers half the year, then get the benefits all next year when I'm doing more transcons and maybe international. Extra bonus is that on the RJ75s I can then get a single seat at booking for the distancing, even when AS stops.
Flying for Fun and Bellerina like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I started looking closely at things and it's starting to look worth it, given the small price difference between Y and F for probably most of this year, and that I'll probably start having biz travel in the fall, and for sure next year. Only a little stretch to hit 75K by buying F tickets for my normal travel and getting the two multipliers half the year, then get the benefits all next year when I'm doing more transcons and maybe international. Extra bonus is that on the RJ75s I can then get a single seat at booking for the distancing, even when AS stops.

If the F fare is less than 75% more than Main, your cost per EQM will be lower for the First Class purchase, bonus or no bonus. Of course that totally dicounts the larger seat, inflight experience, 2 checked bags, lounge access and the PDXPremier cookie.

James
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the F fare is less than 75% more than Main, your cost per EQM will be lower for the First Class purchase, bonus or no bonus. Of course that totally dicounts the larger seat, inflight experience, 2 checked bags, lounge access and the PDXPremier cookie.

James
The only catch being that I've been rolling in upgrades at the Y prices, so all it does is guarantee the non-EQM F perks for the ~10% that I'd miss, plus the EQM to get me perks next year.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:12 pm

The only catch being that I've been rolling in upgrades at the Y prices, so all it does is guarantee the non-EQM F perks for the ~10% that I'd miss, plus the EQM to get me perks next year.
While the upgrades are nice, it doesn't change the math! On a Main fare, no lounge access is granted on an upgrade and an upgrade earns EQM on the underlying fare class booked. You will have to enjoy your upgrades on a few extra flights to earn the requisite EQM at a total outlay higher than purchasing F on fewer flights if the differential is less than 75%.

James
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While the upgrades are nice, it doesn't change the math! On a Main fare, no lounge access is granted on an upgrade and an upgrade earns EQM on the underlying fare class booked. You will have to enjoy your upgrades on a few extra flights to earn the requisite EQM at a total outlay higher than purchasing F on fewer flights if the differential is less than 75%.
It doesn't change the math, but a lot of the perks aren't there, even if I pay for F - it really is mostly about the upgrades for next year, plus the 50K mile bonus that will cover much of the cost difference, and the MVP status for my partner who will be more likely to fly next year. I often fly out of BUR or ONT, where there's no lounge, and from PDX I tend to take the last flight of the day, so the lounge is either closing or closed, and both LAX and PDX have been letting people into the lounge with PP again, so I've been able to get in when it's open, even on an R fare.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:17 pm

It doesn't change the math, but a lot of the perks aren't there, even if I pay for F - it really is mostly about the upgrades for next year, plus the 50K mile bonus that will cover much of the cost difference, and the MVP status for my partner who will be more likely to fly next year. I often fly out of BUR or ONT, where there's no lounge, and from PDX I tend to take the last flight of the day, so the lounge is either closing or closed, and both LAX and PDX have been letting people into the lounge with PP again, so I've been able to get in when it's open, even on an R fare.
Fair analysis for thyself.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.