FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   First Time MVPs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2031522-first-time-mvps.html)

PDXpress Dec 31, 2020 7:08 am

First Time MVPs

I, my wife, and our 2 kids all qualified for MVP this year for the first time. We went 3.5 out of 4 on First Class upgrades.

Any other first time MVPs this year? I feel we must be an unusual group given the world of travel (and not) in 2020.

Thank you to Alaska Airlines for mask requirements, seat spacing, BOGOs, Russell Wilson, and 50% EQM bonus.

azepine00 Dec 31, 2020 9:14 am

Yes kids for the first time as well. AS seat blocking, HI pretest wristbands made for much more pleasant and safe travel this year. :tu:

WrightHI Dec 31, 2020 10:25 am

Opposite for me: first time in many years that I didn’t qualify for any status organically. What I have rolls over and I should pick up again by mid-year, but this year started strong and then dropped off a cliff in March.

mtofell Dec 31, 2020 11:54 am

With all the chaos in the world my family and I are packing up heading for Maui from the west coast. Family is there somewhat permanenantly but I'm still working on the mainland. So, as a guy that previoulsy only traveled 2-3X a year (mainly for pleausure) I found myself on many flights back and forth between work and family.

I made MVP sometime over the summer and just hit Gold on my last flight a couple days ago. I am honestly blown away at how generous the AS frequent flyer program is. I guess I now understand what all talk (that I had previously never paid much attention to) was about.

I didn't do too well with FC upgrades but I think the PDX>OGG route has a lot of high-level travelers. I think I was 1/7 for that (but was 2/2 on a PDX > LAS trip). I'm definitely hoping for better luck as a Gold in 2021. The ability to grab seats is amazing for me. At 6'4" even if it's just an exit row I'm ecstatic.

williwaw Dec 31, 2020 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell (Post 32926947)
With all the chaos in the world my family and I are packing up heading for Maui from the west coast. Family is there somewhat permanenantly but I'm still working on the mainland. So, as a guy that previoulsy only traveled 2-3X a year (mainly for pleausure) I found myself on many flights back and forth between work and family.

I made MVP sometime over the summer and just hit Gold on my last flight a couple days ago. I am honestly blown away at how generous the AS frequent flyer program is. I guess I now understand what all talk (that I had previously never paid much attention to) was about.

I didn't do too well with FC upgrades but I think the PDX>OGG route has a lot of high-level travelers. I think I was 1/7 for that (but was 2/2 on a PDX > LAS trip). I'm definitely hoping for better luck as a Gold in 2021. The ability to grab seats is amazing for me. At 6'4" even if it's just an exit row I'm ecstatic.

Welcome to Gold - the chocolates make all the difference! :cool:

Prior to 2020, I usually make the run from PDX-HNL for work 3-4x a year. Upgrade success is mixed (maybe 30% as a Gold), but always in PC or exit and thats fine for me. Though did once get the upgrade when the spouse was tagging along and that gave her the wrong idea about my work trips!

Haven't had a chance to be on an AS bird this year at all, which is a first in maybe 20 years. So weird.

PDXPremier Dec 31, 2020 10:28 pm

I think a lot of the Hawaii routes are operated by 737-800s which makes upgrades tougher given the 12 seat cabin in First.

PDXPremier Dec 31, 2020 10:34 pm

I totally agree about the AS frequent flyer program....it has been and continues to be very generous. I particularly appreciate the fact that it remains a traditional, mileage-based program since revenue-based programs are a non-starter for me. I will say that with the 50% EQM promotion and rock-bottom fares, if there was ever a year to earn status on AS, this was it.....I was already MVP, but took the opportunity to move up to MVPG.

uxb Jan 5, 2021 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 32928127)
I think a lot of the Hawaii routes are operated by 737-800s which makes upgrades tougher given the 12 seat cabin in First.

As an MVP, I had no trouble getting an upgrade in either direction. Unfortunately, they’ve pulled pillows and blankets, so the red-eye back to LA was meh.