Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BOB W
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 985X
On my recent JFK-SEA morning flight (AS7), 20 pax on the upgrade list, First Class was full with revenue pax even at T-120. The 75k sitting next to me in Premium Class grabbed CHICKEN SALAD FROM SEA N LOUNGE from his backpack with brag tag and started eating it as breakfast. Man I was shocked, but didn't say anything. That's another level tbh..
Shocked that he was eating Chicken Salad for breakfast or shocked that the salad came from the lounge? I've always thought that one of the purposes of the "to-go" packaging was that it could be taken "to-go" and eaten on the plane, especially at the beginning of the pandemic when there really wasn't any food on the plane. I haven't been taking a salad lately because they switched from romaine to some other lawn clipping mix that I'm not a fan of....hopefully the romaine returns.
anteater likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Shocked that he was eating Chicken Salad for breakfast or shocked that the salad came from the lounge? I've always thought that one of the purposes of the "to-go" packaging was that it could be taken "to-go" and eaten on the plane, especially at the beginning of the pandemic when there really wasn't any food on the plane. I haven't been taking a salad lately because they switched from romaine to some other lawn clipping mix that I'm not a fan of....hopefully the romaine returns.
We are off-topic but according to the AS lounge rules, no food is supposed to be taken out of the lounge. Technically, it shouldn't even be taken to enjoy on a same-day flight, let alone taken to (hopefully refrigerate overnight) and enjoy the next morning for breakfast. I'm admittedly a rule breaker and take some snacks to enjoy inflight, but I have yet to do any advanced meal prep using the AS lounge offerings.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
We are off-topic but according to the AS lounge rules, no food is supposed to be taken out of the lounge. Technically, it shouldn't even be taken to enjoy on a same-day flight, let alone taken to (hopefully refrigerate overnight) and enjoy the next morning for breakfast. I'm admittedly a rule breaker and take some snacks to enjoy inflight, but I have yet to do any advanced meal prep using the AS lounge offerings.
I didn't realize that was a rule....it seemed like for awhile, everything was being packaged "to-go", particularly at LAX where they actually forced you to take it with you for awhile. I didn't think about the fact that the passenger was eating a salad from a PREVIOUS day....yeah, without refrigeration that would be a no-go for me.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K / DL PM / Bonvoy Platinum / HHonors Gold /mLife Gold / WOH Explorist
Weird upgrade experience.

Strange upgrade situation. Husband and I are both 75K. Flight was BOI-SEA on a 73-9.

Didn’t clear and at check in were 1 and 2 with six open seats in F. Showing on the upgrade list with out PC seats from booking. Within an hour, received an email telling me that we had been upgraded to PC. Logged into app, we’ve been removed from our PC seats, also removed from the Upgrade List and are now showing on the seat assignment list but also show upgraded to first in the app. App absolutely refuses to let me grab seats. I text with customer care and they put us in 4AC.

Arrive at the airport today and boarding passes in the app still don’t have a seat. Drop bag and agent hands is paper passes showing assignments in 27DE. (!?!). I show him my app screen with “Upgraded to First Class.” He says we weren’t on the Upgrade List. I show him more screens and the text chat. He pokes around and is finally able to get us into 3D and 4D. It’s a short flight so seats together don’t matter to us. Boarded expecting to have people in our F seats but they were empty.

So, uh…. What happened? 😬
simonsuo likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll add my weird upgrade experience....got an email saying I'd been upgraded to First for a flight that isn't until July so waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of my normal T-72 upgrade window. This is for a saver award not an "instant" upgrade award (when U space is available). It's probably a flight I would have been upgraded on anyway, but the advance upgrade was nice.
anteater likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by pdxpremier
i'll add my weird upgrade experience....got an email saying i'd been upgraded to first for a flight that isn't until july so waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of my normal t-72 upgrade window. This is for a saver award not an "instant" upgrade award (when u space is available). It's probably a flight i would have been upgraded on anyway, but the advance upgrade was nice.
mvp100k 😛
Old May 14, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Strange experience from SAN-EWR.

I saw there was one seat left on this flight a few days before. Checked in and was #3 on the upgrade list. Was not counting on an upgrade. Get to the airport and app says I’m upgraded into the one empty seat. Check the list and the two people ahead of me are still there.
Old May 14, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by sfosyd
Get to the airport and app says I’m upgraded into the one empty seat. Check the list and the two people ahead of me are still there.
#s 1 and 2 are traveling together?
williwaw likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by sfosyd
Strange experience from SAN-EWR.

I saw there was one seat left on this flight a few days before. Checked in and was #3 on the upgrade list. Was not counting on an upgrade. Get to the airport and app says I’m upgraded into the one empty seat. Check the list and the two people ahead of me are still there.
If 1&2 were on the same reservation and there is only 1 seat (U=1) it would go to the first solo traveler on the list.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
Ewr to lax thursday 5/12, got upgraded to first from economy about 15 hours before flight.

Missed my flight by a minute because they wouldnt take my checked bagged. Very useless check in counter compared to united. Was so used to no traffic life during covid, airport drive took 50 minutes instead of the usual 30 even though google had said 30 and precheck line had a 20 minute wait as well compared to the usual less than 5 or none i got used to having. Looks like its back to leaving a bit earlier to make it to flights.

All flights till Monday were sold out so lets see if i get upgraded monday.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Well it was good while it lasted...

MVPG, solo ticket purchased 4/21 in Main

5/14 BOS-SEA AS15
5/14 SEA-JFK AS18

EQM posted as we were landing, made 75K
5/15 JFK-SEA AS7
5/15 SEA-BOS AS736

Prior to this I'd been upgraded on 10 legs and missed 2. Flights were very full. For some reason I was able to choose Premium seats for the JFK legs, otherwise I was in exit row and wasn't able to self-upgrade at Gold window.

My plan was to do some travel later in the year to get to 75K, but when AS cancelled a couple of my summer flights to SFO I got skittish and decided to book this MR to get me over the hump. I was hoping I'd get at least SEA-BOS on a Saturday night but 'twas not to be.

The waitlist was all over the place, there was none for the first leg, I was 11th on the 3rd leg, then I was off, not great.

Will not miss the egg salad wrap.
Old May 16, 2021, 12:06 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by joachimm
Well it was good while it lasted...

MVPG, solo ticket purchased 4/21 in Main

5/14 BOS-SEA AS15
5/14 SEA-JFK AS18

EQM posted as we were landing, made 75K
5/15 JFK-SEA AS7
5/15 SEA-BOS AS736

Prior to this I'd been upgraded on 10 legs and missed 2. Flights were very full. For some reason I was able to choose Premium seats for the JFK legs, otherwise I was in exit row and wasn't able to self-upgrade at Gold window.

My plan was to do some travel later in the year to get to 75K, but when AS cancelled a couple of my summer flights to SFO I got skittish and decided to book this MR to get me over the hump. I was hoping I'd get at least SEA-BOS on a Saturday night but 'twas not to be.

The waitlist was all over the place, there was none for the first leg, I was 11th on the 3rd leg, then I was off, not great.

Will not miss the egg salad wrap.

Did you notice someone got upgraded on both 5/14 AS18 SEA-JFK and 5/15 AS7 JFK-SEA?
And btw, there was a very disruptive pax next to me, drunk, agitated, playing loud music without headphone, screaming to FA that she paid $500 for the first class ticket and she could do whatever she wants. So I let FA know (on a napkin) I will write to AS as a witness in case that unruly Karen files a complaint. FA told me feel free switch to 1C if I don't feel comfortable sitting in my original seat even before I handed her the napkin.
NoLaGent and anteater like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Did you notice someone got upgraded on both 5/14 AS18 SEA-JFK and 5/15 AS7 JFK-SEA?
And btw, there was a very disruptive pax next to me, drunk, agitated, playing loud music without headphone, screaming to FA that she paid $500 for the first class ticket and she could do whatever she wants. So I let FA know (on a napkin) I will write to AS as a witness in case that unruly Karen files a complaint. FA told me feel free switch to 1C if I don't feel comfortable sitting in my original seat even before I handed her the napkin.
You know, 22 hours of flying over 30 hours... it's all a bit of a blur, I didn't notice this even though I was in 6D for the redeye and 7C for the return. But good for you, I'm sure the FA really appreciates the support.

And... $500? That's a bargain these days.

Last edited by joachimm; May 16, 2021 at 12:19 pm
Old May 16, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
On my recent JFK-SEA morning flight (AS7), 20 pax on the upgrade list, First Class was full with revenue pax even at T-120. The 75k sitting next to me in Premium Class grabbed CHICKEN SALAD FROM SEA N LOUNGE from his backpack with brag tag and started eating it as breakfast. Man I was shocked, but didn't say anything. That's another level tbh..
JFK to SEA but the salad was from SEA N lounge? Do you mean the passenger traveled from SEA to JFK the previous day and stay overnight in JFK. Then flew from JFK to SEA with the SEA N lounge salad?
Old May 16, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by pigx5
JFK to SEA but the salad was from SEA N lounge? Do you mean the passenger traveled from SEA to JFK the previous day and stay overnight in JFK. Then flew from JFK to SEA with the SEA N lounge salad?
not staying overnight in JFK. AS18 red-eye into JFK, then AS7 return to SEA. But even that is at least 10hrs when he flew JFK-SEA with the SEA N lounge salad..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.