Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Edited to add: Glassware and warm nuts returned to First Class on November 4, 2021.

Updated August 2021 at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ightExperience

First Class

Beverages

• Coca-Cola®, Diet Coke™, Sprite®, ginger ale, seltzer water
  • Orange juice
  • Starbucks® Pike Place® Roast coffee
  • Teavana® Royal English Breakfast Tea, Teavana® Mint Majesty Herbal Tea
  • Boxed Water

Alcohol and mixers

• Fremont Brewing Lush IPA
  • Kona Brewing Longboard Island Lager
  • Broken Earth El Pasado Red Blend, California
  • Canoe Ridge The Expedition Chardonnay, Washington
  • Tito’s Handmade Vodka
  • Woodford Reserve Bourbon
  • Jack Daniel’s Whiskey
  • Tanqueray London Dry Gin
  • Bailey’s Irish Cream
  • Bloody Mary mix
  • Tonic water

Food

• Snack basket with assortment of individually wrapped sweet and savory snacks

Food – Available on trips 670–1,099 miles operated by Alaska and on all Horizon and SkyWest flights

Pre-order recommended, departing 5:00 am – 8:00 pm
  • Choice between two cold entrees
  • Signature Fruit & Cheese Platter available as pre-order option

Food – Available on trips over 1,100 miles operated by Alaska

Pre-order recommended, departing 5:00 am – 8:00 pm
  • Choice between two hot entrees
  • Signature Fruit & Cheese Platter available as pre-order option
I also consolidate some of the pictures people posted here for a better visual reference
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
Date: 8/10/21
Route: DCA-LAX
Flight No.: 5
Departure Time: 9:15
Menu: No
Meal Description: Breakfast - caramelized onion frittata with bacon, sweet potatoes, spinach, a button mushroom, warm raisin roll with butter, fruit salad, and Greek yogurt.
Other options: kale breakfast bowl or fruit and cheese plate.
Snack basket was offered once and then packed away.

Overall, this was a great meal.

Originally Posted by LAX2DCA
Date: 8/10/21
Route: LAX-DCA
Flight Number: 6
Departure time: 13:00
Menu: Yes
Meal description (if given): Chicken (sorry, I don't remember the description)

Snack basket offered: Yes (left in the galley for open F use)

Options: Chicken or Risotto, I chose chicken.
The chicken breast was dry, as expected, but still tasty. The saffron rice and lemon meringue were very good. Still better than what most other airlines are serving these days. No cookies were offered on the flight.

Originally Posted by hpmh
Date: 8/7/21
Route: SEA-FAI
Flight Number: 1465
Departure time: 11:46AM
Meal description (if given): Miso Marinated Cod: "Alaskan cod marinated in white miso and rice wine. Served with a sesame-garlic farro pilaf, sauteed yu choy with bell peppers and shiitake mushrooms, and a sesame-miso butter sauce.

Snack basket offered: Yes

I thought the cod was...fine? To me it seemed mildly flavored and the cod was cooked well and not dry. Overall, it tasted like a lighter/healthier meal. Also, mine definitely looked less black than the one in gold10829's post. Our F/A also wrote different quotes for each of our meals which I thought was interesting.

No plated dessert meant the cookies came out, which ended up being southern toffee with nuts (maybe pecans?), and as expected, delicious.

Originally Posted by gold10829
Date: 8/7/21
Route: PAE-SAN
Flight Number: AS2179
Departure time: 7:15
Meal description (if given): unsure

Snack basket offered (Y/N): yes

Upgraded 5 hours prior to departure.
power up platter was only option - description “dried fruits, walnuts, grain-free granola, and milk”
Date: 8/1/21
Route: ATL-SEA
Flight Number: 745
Departure time: 17:40
Meal description (if given): Dinner

Options: Miso Marinated Cod or a Ravioli. I chose the cod
Cod was really dry. However couldn’t complain as I was hungry. Snack basket came out 1 hour prior to arrival. Cookie was given shortly after meal was cleared

Date: 7/28/21
Route: SEA-ATL
Flight Number: 442
Departure time: 16:14
Menu: No (preorder available 2.5 weeks out)
Meal description (if given): “Snack” but it was dinner

Options: Clementine Chicken or a Risotto I think (?). I got the chicken. Rice was somewhat over cooked, chicken required use of salt and pepper.
cookie handed out 1 hour prior to arrival. Snack basket came out

Originally Posted by pcoll
LAX/SEA
water at seat
cookie served with meal on tray
No snack basket.

Originally Posted by whitf00t

Shockingly good in F from KOA-SEA today, 8/2 AS854. That would be a Taro/Ube (couldn’t tell) roll, with the beef filet, salad, and a sort of passionfruit cake. Normally meals are decent, good microwave quality, but today was awesome. Great job Alaska! We did not get a cookie but perhaps the cake makes up for that.
Originally Posted by Flyguy85
Flew AUS-SFO last night. Meal was the same as usual but at least served on china with a real napkin. The flight was operated by Skywest - maybe it would have been a hot meal if it were mainline?

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Hot meal with proper silverware and tray on AUS-SEA. Got the cod option. Pretty delicious. Only missing now compared to pre-pandemic is ice cream.
Originally Posted by lonelygod

Decided to take the risk and preordered the pork bowl, the pineapple+mango salsa is weird IMO, especially when combined with egg and pork will go back to the omelette definitely
Originally Posted by River in Sight
Just completed LAX-DCA, another flight I purchased in first for $191 using the “QUEENJEAN” code last December. An excellent value.

Drinks were served with a decent sized bag of Chex mix, which was pretty good. I enjoyed a few of the Fremont Lush IPA. I’d pre-ordered the Roasted Chicken Clementine which is pictured below. It was pretty decent tho unremarkable and came with a lemon meringue tart. Service was very good and professional with a pass of the snack basket around an hour out of DCA.

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
And here she is. Definitely would be yummier if warm. Stole some sriracha sauce from the D lounge, gave it a nice healthy kick.

Originally Posted by simonsuo
Don’t recall I have seen this, Lax to Anc, smoked salmon platt

Nice way of serving it

Very dry and hard salmon
er
Originally Posted by River in Sight
Flew JFK-SEA this morning. Bought tickets in first for my family of three for ~$220 each last December during the big sale right before Christmas. Smoking deal in my book.

This was my first transcon since COVID, but things mostly seemed normal except the coffee was in paper cups. My wife and I pre-ordered the kale bowl, which we both thought was pretty tasty. My neighbor had the onion frittata, I passed on that as I hate onions but it also looked pretty good. My son pre-ordered the fruit and cheese plate, which came with yogurt. There was one pass of the snack basket about an hour before landing; I selected the pea-toes based on reviews here and was not let down. We landed around an hour early due to favorable winds, all in all a very smooth flight although JFK Terminal 1 is pretty sad these days.

Kale Bowl
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

HNL/SFO - tasty and relatively tender boeuf.

Way too many gross haricots verts
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
​​AS810 SEA-SNA on 6/12 .

I was hesitant but tried the Bahn-mi. It was OK. The pickled slaw and Sriracha really made the sandwich. The bread was a bit too thick and some small bits were very soggy. Also, the banhmi had this sauce (Sriracha mayo???) that didn't really belong in a banhmi, imo. Overall though, it was fine. I woke up hungover that day so the carby bread was really appreciated. 😂

Originally Posted by chrisny2
DCA-LAX, June 8, 2021
Breakfast:
Kale breakfast bowl (other option was caramelized onion frittata).
This was MUCH tastier than it looked - I really enjoyed it! Excellent service from the flight attendant in First, who gave me a warm welcome as a oneworld frequent flyer.

LAX-CUN
Lunch:
Entrée Salad with egg. (Other option was Beef Sandwich)
This was ok - the cauliflower was marinated in curry, which overwhelmed the flavor of the dish.

Originally Posted by hpmh
Date: June 15, 2021
Route: SEA-EWR
Flight #: AS27, 1:45PM dep
Description: Baked chicken with salad and lemon tart. Got bumped to FC too late to preorder in app, so no description. Only details offered inflight were "butternut squash risotto or baked chicken". No cookie offered.
Menu: No, wasn't early enough to see on phone app
Snack Basket Offered: Yes

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Saw this on a friend's Facebook feed and thought I would share it here (he's not a frequent flyer, or FTer) as he did two things: (1) Traveled on a unicorn that is a flight from JFK to the West Coast (LAX, in this case) and (2) also gave a great description of the vegetarian L/D option:

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Date: June 3, 2021
Route: PDX-HNL
Flight #: AS889 - 8:05 AM Departure
Description: Cheddar Cheese Omelet
Menu: Pre-ordered on the app

Date: June 7, 2021
Route: HNL-SAN
Flight #: AS892 - 11:50 AM Departure
Description: Beef Filet
Menu: Pre-ordered on the app (overheard people who had not preordered only being offered the F&C or the other option. Beef filet had to be preordered on this flight)

Both meals were delicious. The breakfast was very filling, as was the dinner. I know it has been mentioned before, but I can't get over the fact that it's a real filet! I would pay $35 in a restaurant and be happy. It's also great to see that even the disposable napkins retain the button hole.

Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Nobody really knows but I don't know what there is to "test". It's not a "new" meal service - just a return to meal service. I'd be really surprised if this wasn't just a roll out across the board - or at least on the longer flights. I'd been hearing that hot food was coming back - and never heard that it was only on Hawaii flights. To that, Alaska faces more competition providing a higher level of service on transcons than they do Hawaii flights. Had I any solid information earlier I would have come here to post but this is the first I've heard of these new meals. If I hear of anything new to report I'll let you all know if I'm able.

Just wanted to add - Alaska hasn't been "committed to making meals cold". Nothing about what's going on indicates that. They cut way back to no meal service at all - then boxes, then cheese and fruit, then a choice, now hot meals. Each step has been an improvement over the previous offering. What AS did also do was bring back a food option in First Class before almost any other competitor - and still better options than most now. JetBlue has been doing a nicer service on their limited Mint flights but other than that, cold sandwiches, small cheese plates and boxes - and Alaska generally lead the way to get to this point.
Interesting. To be honest, I'm a little shocked to hear that they wouldn't announce this return to meal service, albeit on a limited basis, internally to those that are tasked with serving it before introducing it. But to be fair, they're playing catch-up with HA and UA in the HI market on this front.

And as I mentioned before, if it's actually a filet, they're leap-frogging ahead of them.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Interesting. To be honest, I'm a little shocked to hear that they wouldn't announce this return to meal service, albeit on a limited basis, internally to those that are tasked with serving it before introducing it. But to be fair, they're playing catch-up with HA and UA in the HI market on this front.

And as I mentioned before, if it's actually a filet, they're leap-frogging ahead of them.
I'm surprised too....which is why I wonder if the new meal service information actually got pushed through to the app earlier than it was actually scheduled to....I certainly wouldn't want to have to tell passengers who were expecting a beef filet that their actual choices are a turkey sandwich or fruit and cheese plate....lol. It's also odd that no one has reported being offered a hot meal choice on west bound Hawaii flights and no reports of trans cons.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Apr 5, 2021 at 3:41 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody really knows but I don't know what there is to "test". It's not a "new" meal service - just a return to meal service. I'd be really surprised if this wasn't just a roll out across the board - or at least on the longer flights. I'd been hearing that hot food was coming back - and never heard that it was only on Hawaii flights. To that, Alaska faces more competition providing a higher level of service on transcons than they do Hawaii flights. Had I any solid information earlier I would have come here to post but this is the first I've heard of these new meals. If I hear of anything new to report I'll let you all know if I'm able.

Just wanted to add - Alaska hasn't been "committed to making meals cold". Nothing about what's going on indicates that. They cut way back to no meal service at all - then boxes, then cheese and fruit, then a choice, now hot meals. Each step has been an improvement over the previous offering. What AS did also do was bring back a food option in First Class before almost any other competitor - and still better options than most now. JetBlue has been doing a nicer service on their limited Mint flights but other than that, cold sandwiches, small cheese plates and boxes - and Alaska generally lead the way to get to this point.
I agree....AS has been ahead of the pack when it comes to the return of food and beverages....in BOTH cabins. When I said that they were committed to cold meals, I didn't mean that as a negative....I just meant that for the past year or so, every change has generally substituted one cold item for another and the jump to full hot meals is a BIG jump and pretty much puts you back in pre-pandemic service levels--many airlines, including Alaska's newest buddy, AA, aren't ready to return to that level on the majority of their flights as evidenced by the fact that they are adding fresh, but cold tapas boxes on non-premium routes over 2,200 miles later this month. I for one hope the return of hot meals happens sooner rather than later, but I also realize we're not quite out of the woods yet as far as the current environment is concerned.
Klrduks likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Any type of steak or beef rib I've had on other airlines (particularly AA on a flight from AUA-MIA) was actually delicious.
I've had plenty over the past three-plus decades that have been anywhere from pretty delicious to "the cat would jump across the room and run away quickly" after trying to take the first bite. At best, the typical inflight steak (i.e., a real filet, not a typically potted or slow cooked meat) when reheated on an already assembled plate is "edible." When reheated separately with an FA who knows the oven, they can be done pretty nicely. I've had utensils bend, and not because I've wanted them to, trying to cut inflight steak.
AS Flyer, pcoll and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: Yes

It should be announced internally prior to the supposed launch date, with enough time for the appropriate personnel to be up to speed with it. 🤙🏻
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by anteater
It should be announced internally prior to the supposed launch date, with enough time for the appropriate personnel to be up to speed with it. 🤙🏻
I've had plenty of FAs over the years comment that "we" (the FFers) often get news before they do.

Looks like I'll be missing out from the new menu by a few days. I'll consider my sandwich photolog as a Turkey Sandwich Memorial tribute. After all, I'd hate to see the criticism at next year's ABFAS* if the AS Harvest Turkey Sandwich didn't receive a proper In Memoriam sendoff during the collage part of the program.

*Airline Bad Food Awards
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've had plenty of FAs over the years comment that "we" (the FFers) often get news before they do.

Looks like I'll be missing out from the new menu by a few days. I'll consider my sandwich photolog as a Turkey Sandwich Memorial tribute. After all, I'd hate to see the criticism at next year's ABFAS* if the AS Harvest Turkey Sandwich didn't receive a proper In Memoriam sendoff during the collage part of the program.

*Airline Bad Food Awards
Often times the guests get the information before the Flight Attendants do. In this case, I don't think it's a huge thing to have to tell people to serve a hot meal. Everyone that's working as a Flight Attendant at Alaska now has served hot meals on the plane at some point before Covid so we all know how to do it. It's just a matter of giving everyone a heads up - and while it would be nice, it's not necessarily going to make or break the "roll out". It's really just a return to some semblance of what we've done in the past. I will say this - we've all gotten really "comfortable" not doing much so it's going to be a chore to get almost 6000 FA's moving in the same direction again. I think a lot of FA's will be glad that we're offering something more.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

AS lead the way? Thanks for making me laugh so hard.
AS didn't bring back hot food, just cold fresh snacks on transcon flights (wraps/sandwiches/fruit plates which are the exact same options being served on fairly short runs such as PDX LAX)... its OW partner AA never stopped serving hot meals on premium transcon flights and MIA LAX at any time during the pandemic.
Also, did AS' ancient F seats also lead B6 to innovate and launch a new amazing Mint hard product?
simonsuo likes this.

Last edited by fly747first; Apr 5, 2021 at 8:40 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: A few off-topic posts (seats) and replies to them have been deleted.

dayone, AS Moderator.
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
AS didn't bring back hot food, just cold fresh snacks on transcon flights (wraps/sandwiches/fruit plates which are the exact same options being served on fairly short runs such as PDX LAX)... its OW partner AA never stopped serving hot meals on premium transcon flights and MIA LAX at any time during the pandemic.
Also, did AS' ancient F seats also lead B6 to innovate and launch a new amazing Mint hard product?
Thanks for making me laugh so hard. Why not compare F with F, not F with Flagship. You would have a point if AA only had Flagship but even then it would still be apples to oranges.

Edit: Is AA serving beverages in MCE? In Premium, you can enjoy beer or wine.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Apr 5, 2021 at 9:16 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
You're welcome for the laugh and forgive me for not considering that AA hot food on THREE routes and NOTHING on any other route for a good long time. NOTHING. I personally flew DFW-SJU on AA. We got nothing in coach. First Class got the cold sandwich. But I'm glad you laughed so hard. AS brought back food on routes from the west coast to ORD, DFW, PHX and nearly every other route over 90 minutes from their hubs before AA did the same. KUDOS TO AA though for keeping food on their three routes (LAX/SFO-JFK, MIA-LAX). AA is really leading the way. Also, I'd like to add that I fail to understand the difference between food and "a snack". Coming soon to AS - hot food on shorter flights. How about AA?

Last edited by AS Flyer; Apr 5, 2021 at 9:56 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're welcome for the laugh and forgive me for not considering that AA hot food on THREE routes and NOTHING on any other route for a good long time. NOTHING. I personally flew DFW-SJU on AA. We got nothing in coach. First Class got the cold sandwich. But I'm glad you laughed so hard. AS brought back food on routes from the west coast to ORD, DFW, PHX and nearly every other route over 90 minutes from their hubs before AA did the same. KUDOS TO AA though for keeping food on their three routes (LAX/SFO-JFK, MIA-LAX). AA is really leading the way. Also, I'd like to add that I fail to understand the difference between food and "a snack". Coming soon to AS - hot food on shorter flights. How about AA?
And don't forget...AS warms the chocolate chip cookie that AA serves cold in plastic wrap....another win in the AS column....you're right about AA in coach now....flew them from PDX-DFW just before Thanksgiving and can attest to the fact that AA is far from leading the way....as a side note, I will say that I'm surprised that DL was widely considered at the bottom (until later this month) when it came to modified (or in their case nearly non-existent) service in both Y and F....I guess they had to figure out a way to pay for all those blocked seats. Now that we have a in-flight food comment thread, we should probably move this discussion over there....that was for you dayone
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
And don't forget...AS warms the chocolate chip cookie that AA serves cold in plastic wrap....another win in the AS column....
The secret is the cold cookie in the wrapper AA serves. It is so securely wrapped in some impervious plastic material that half the flight has gone by by the time you get the wrapper open!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Thanks for making me laugh so hard. Why not compare F with F, not F with Flagship. You would have a point if AA only had Flagship but even then it would still be apples to oranges.

Edit: Is AA serving beverages in MCE? In Premium, you can enjoy beer or wine.

James
MIA LAX on 772 isn't sold as Flagship, you may want to check your facts before posting
AS' Premium is a disgrace so enjoy the freeze booze when you are stuck in the middle once AS stops blocking seats... most people would prefer an AA widebody equipped with PE cabins on many domestic flights even outside of premium transcons, featuring 2x3x2 or 2x4x2

Right and AA also flies to Hawaii from CLT, ORD, and of course DFW serving hot meals all throughout Covid. Let me know if you need help checking your math alleging 3 premium transcon routes. Nothing for a long time on other routes? I think you are confusing AA with DL which isn't even providing ice in any cabin. As early as May of last year AA was already serving fruit & cheese plates on other routes that didn't get hot meals and then by June/July they slightly improved it to a choice of fruit & cheese plate or sandwich (well technically croissant for breakfast).

Agree with other posters that AA's cold cookies are atrocious; they should fire the VP of Inflight who approved serving such a poor product.

Last edited by fly747first; Apr 6, 2021 at 7:29 am
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:57 am

Flight #193 (LAX>ANC) on April 20th is showing me the fruit/cheese plate and the turkey sandwich as the two preorder options in F.

I haven't flown this route as a nonstop before, but it'd be nice to have something a little more substantial for a ~5.5 hour flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.