Maximize SAN on Companion Cert Open Jaw

Old Dec 30, 20, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Aegean Blue
Maximize SAN on Companion Cert Open Jaw

Its amazing how much knowledge I have lost after a year of not flying or thinking about it. We have two companion certs that expire soon and I'm curious how being based in SAN as a mini hub to Hawaii if this could help construct on open jaw

Is there a way to get from SAN-OGG and then somehow get us somewhere else like 4 months later on an itinerary ? (say we want to go to NYC or Costa Rica for example).

I did a search but don't see anything w/ SAN....
Old Dec 30, 20, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Just try multi-city searches with the companion fare code. I just played with it a bit and it appears to be feasible to tack a one-way to wherever onto the end of your trip (eg SAN-OGG, OGG-SAN, then SAN-NYC some time later). Seems like two certificates should pretty easily get you three round trips, but I'd defer to the experts on how to really maximize.
Old Dec 30, 20, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by WrightHI View Post
Just try multi-city searches with the companion fare code. I just played with it a bit and it appears to be feasible to tack a one-way to wherever onto the end of your trip (eg SAN-OGG, OGG-SAN, then SAN-NYC some time later). Seems like two certificates should pretty easily get you three round trips, but I'd defer to the experts on how to really maximize.
Paging Flying for Fun . James?
Old Dec 30, 20, 4:41 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Obligatory warning: just because the website lets you book some open jaw itineraries with companion certs does not mean they are valid itineraries. If there is any change to any of your flights -- even changes initiated by AS itself -- your entire itinerary will get cancelled out and you will be at the mercy of the reservation agents to salvage what they can from the tickets. At a minimum your trip will be severely disrupted (as they try to find a way to get you home, probably requiring overrides from supervisors), and you should not expect a refund for the segments you could not take. You should make sure your companion(s) would not be upset by this occurring.

I probably booked 4 or 5 open jaw trips with companion certs until my luck ran out and this finally happened to me. I would not bother again unless the savings were quite extraordinary. But it just depends on how much risk and hassle you're willing to tolerate, and how much the money is worth to you.
Old Dec 30, 20, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Aegean Blue
Originally Posted by milypan View Post
Obligatory warning: just because the website lets you book some open jaw itineraries with companion certs does not mean they are valid itineraries. If there is any change to any of your flights -- even changes initiated by AS itself -- your entire itinerary will get cancelled out and you will be at the mercy of the reservation agents to salvage what they can from the tickets. At a minimum your trip will be severely disrupted (as they try to find a way to get you home, probably requiring overrides from supervisors), and you should not expect a refund for the segments you could not take. You should make sure your companion(s) would not be upset by this occurring.

I probably booked 4 or 5 open jaw trips with companion certs until my luck ran out and this finally happened to me. I would not bother again unless the savings were quite extraordinary. But it just depends on how much risk and hassle you're willing to tolerate, and how much the money is worth to you.

UGH, thanks for this. We're a family of 3 so this is just going to cost too much by guessing.....sucks as I'll likely lose out on two of these. Almost impossible to book without a huge crystal ball.
Old Dec 30, 20, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kdinino View Post
UGH, thanks for this. We're a family of 3 so this is just going to cost too much by guessing.....sucks as I'll likely lose out on two of these. Almost impossible to book without a huge crystal ball.
Don't over-think this...we are a family of 4 that uses these companion certs to their fullest year after year with a great deal of success....I always tack on an extra one-way....with no change/cancel fees anymore, it doesn't take a crystal ball to take full advantage of the companion certs....I will let Flying for Fun chime in with more suggestions...since James probably gets the highest dollar value out of every cert
Old Dec 31, 20, 5:00 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
Don't over-think this...we are a family of 4 that uses these companion certs to their fullest year after year with a great deal of success....I always tack on an extra one-way....with no change/cancel fees anymore, it doesn't take a crystal ball to take full advantage of the companion certs....I will let Flying for Fun chime in with more suggestions...since James probably gets the highest dollar value out of every cert
Change fees are a bit of a red herring, as they aren't really the issue. What you suggest might be okay, though I still wouldn't do it unless you're perfectly fine with losing the last segment with no refund and having to buy a new ticket for that segment at whatever the prevailing price is.

Looking back at my itinerary, I had a pretty "aggressive" booking that was basically XYZ-ABC-stop-ABC-DEF-ABC-stop-ABC-GHI. I.e. there was a RT flight (ABC-DEF-ABC) that was bookended by two one-ways in the "correct" directions. Then there was an involuntary change on XYZ-ABC, and that created a giant mess.

Presumably if the booking had been ABC-DEF-ABC-stop-ABC-GHI, and there were an involuntary change somewhere on ABC-DEF-ABC, then I would have just spent a bunch of time on the phone with reservations, gotten some stink eye from the less friendly agents, and forfeited the ABC-GHI segment. But would not have been a total disaster. Could be worth the risk if the price on the ABC-GHI segment is high enough at time of booking.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: