Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Friends and Family Promo Code - 30% Off (Valid 12/17-19/2020 for Jan 5-Aug 31, 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Moderator Note: For those who wish to take advantage of this promotion, please consider using Missy's code. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator

HOLD UP!!! I just got permission to use the one I built to test all the other offers - so you all need to get on this one too.
Print Wikipost

Friends and Family Promo Code - 30% Off (Valid 12/17-19/2020 for Jan 5-Aug 31, 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by washeelers747
I assume i could earn class of service bonus if I book First with discount code? 9 or so LAX-FLL r/t ticket and be done with it but my friend think we couldnt earn class of service bonus if using discount code? I think we can but want to chime to hear others' opinions.
Yes, you will earn EQM and RDM at the usual MP rates, including any applicable class of service bonus. From the discount code T&C:

Mileage Plan: Mileage Plan credit applies and upgrades are allowed.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Is there a reason to buy First Class over Main Cabin ? I know that we get 75% more EQM with I class but the its price is usually at least double R class ?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by Thichbay
Is there a reason to buy First Class over Main Cabin ? I know that we get 75% more EQM with I class but the its price is usually at least double R class ?
If this is a pure mileage run, and you are looking to maximize price per mile, and assign low value to your time or comfort, than no. Personally I don't have a lot of free time to fly around the country for no reason, and I value comfort, so I'm flying F when possible, especially in the near term before widespread vaccination. It might be different if MVPG could upgrade to Premium at time of booking.

But it's a pretty straightforward calculation, you can even use milecalc.com to do it for you since they support AS elite levels and class of service bonus.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by joachimm
If this is a pure mileage run, and you are looking to maximize price per mile, and assign low value to your time or comfort, than no. Personally I don't have a lot of free time to fly around the country for no reason, and I value comfort, so I'm flying F when possible, especially in the near term before widespread vaccination. It might be different if MVPG could upgrade to Premium at time of booking.

But it's a pretty straightforward calculation, you can even use milecalc.com to do it for you since they support AS elite levels and class of service bonus.
Thanks for your inputs! I myself can only afford 2-3 weekend days a month to fly also. However, I find it is more comfortable (especially on transcon flights) seating in 3-seats lay flat economy than in F. As a 75k elite, I automatically get Premium when I book R class (and also get good chance to be upgraded). So paying for F is like paying for a lounge pass & food on the plane? Am I missing anything here? Appreciate any inputs (especially from 75k elites) !
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Along with 2 free checked bags, if one doesn't have a waiver, you also get lounge access. That mat be of value to some. Generally, K class, the lowest fare class a GGU can be applied to, runs 85%-110% of R and with this sale are often higher than fare class I. An I class fare at double the R class fare is a phenomenal deal.

James
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
Yes, you will earn EQM and RDM at the usual MP rates, including any applicable class of service bonus. From the discount code T&C:

Mileage Plan: Mileage Plan credit applies and upgrades are allowed.
This is correct, however purchasing Y, S (50%), B, M (25%) fares for the Class of service bonus will surely cost much more than the Discounted, Discounted I class which includes lounge access and 2 free checked bags.

It should also be noted that while upgrades for Elites into F is possible, the earnings in MP will be based on the underlying class of the ticket purchased. Upgrades into U inventory also do not grant lounge access nor does it allow for a refund of any baggage fees paid prior to the upgrade.

James
Old Dec 18, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I have the same question.... I just rebooked 12 flights and in many cases got F for my wife and I for the same or less than main cabin.

I am also looking at a mileage run as I saw the article in TPG about becoming Emerald in OneWorld for 2022 so want to hit MVP75/OW Emerald for some heavy international travel in 2022. I am PDX based and the only same day transcon mileage run I can really find is PDX/EWR/PDX.. Arrives EWR 3:30 and leaves EWR 5:30. But its $219 each way in F any way I search (yes, cheaper than U upgrades). Does anyone know of better deals nonstop from PDX? MCO you cant turn in one day.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I have the same question.... I just rebooked 12 flights and in many cases got F for my wife and I for the same or less than main cabin.

I am also looking at a mileage run as I saw the article in TPG about becoming Emerald in OneWorld for 2022 so want to hit MVP75/OW Emerald for some heavy international travel in 2022. I am PDX based and the only same day transcon mileage run I can really find is PDX/EWR/PDX.. Arrives EWR 3:30 and leaves EWR 5:30. But its $219 each way in F any way I search (yes, cheaper than U upgrades). Does anyone know of better deals nonstop from PDX? MCO you cant turn in one day.
PDX-EWR-PDX in F (8491 EQM @ $431.80) = 0.0509cpm
PDX-DEN-PDX in F (3493 EQM @ $165.80) = 0.0475cpm
PDX-SEA-ORD-SEA-PDX in F (7752.5 EQM @ $354.00) = 0.0457cpm
PDX-MSP-PDX in F (4973.5 EQM @ $213.40) = 0.0429cpm
PDX-SEA-AUS-SEA-PDX in F (6237 EQM @ $245.50) = 0.0394cpm * PDX-SEA in main

Some of these offer a better cpm earning if you fly in main cabin. You can get transcons for under 0.03cpm if you are willing to fly main cabin plus do a red-eye. Technically 2 days, but you leave in the evening of day 1.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Just do some math.

Pick some amount you're willing to spend on pure mileage runs above organic spend/business travel. Let's say 25k. Say you won't spend above 1.5k to get those extra 25k.

That's 1.5k/25k = .06c/eqm. Any trip that nets you eqm's at a rate of less thann .06c/eqm would put you on track. With these fares, you it's quite absurd from as low at .02c/eqm and probably around .04c/eqm for first. Plug in whatever numbers for your desired target EQMs and budget and see what works for you.

Personally, as a vertically challenged but still young travelingzoomer, I do not mind saver fares at all to get the lowest possible ratio since I can travel basically any weekend and rather eat at the airport. But different people value their times and comfort differently in their mileage runs quests.
boxo likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

Some of these offer a better cpm earning if you fly in main cabin. You can get transcons for under 0.03cpm if you are willing to fly main cabin plus do a red-eye. Technically 2 days, but you leave in the evening of day 1.
Thanks RAD-PDX and travelling zoomer, great suggestions. I think i will stick with EWR as time wise and hassle wise its easier than the PDX/AUS/PDX via SEA day. Plus too many times I have landed in SEA and gone to D20 and then missed the last PDX flight, needing to spend a night in a hotel.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:00 pm

I'm doing a mileage run SEA-FLL in January.

$95 in Main Cabin, $185 in First Class - One Way.

In Main Cabin, it is costing me 3.5 cents per EQM for a total of 2,712 EQMs. In First Class, it is costing me 3.9 cents per EQM for a total of 4,746 EQMs.

It is absolutely worth the slightly higher cost to guarantee myself a seat in F for 6 hours, Lounge access, and getting more EQMs for my time.

For me if F is less than 2x the cost of Main Cabin, it is worth it.
boxo and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
A few more codes. Is this the complete list?

Here are the codes I found listed in this thread:

MEATBALL: QX
WHEELSUP: Flight Ops
BEANSNBYTES: IT
CARELINE: Phone CS?
FLYWITHME: FAs
TAKEMEAWAY: Airport Ops and Customer Service
QUEENJEAN: missydarlin

I found three more via Google, applied them to AS searches, and can confirm that they're valid:

FUN2FLYAGAIN
BOOKNOW
PANCAKES

Does anyone know of others? I'm to the point I'd like to book a few more speculative itins before time runs out.

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Dec 18, 2020 at 5:14 pm Reason: Left out the most imporant one from those listed in this thread
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
Here are the codes I found listed in this thread:

MEATBALL: QX
WHEELSUP: Flight Ops
BEANSNBYTES: IT
CARELINE: Phone CS?
FLYWITHME: FAs
TAKEMEAWAY: Airport Ops and Customer Service
QUEENJEAN: missydarlin

I found three more via Google, applied them to AS searches, and can confirm that they're valid:

FUN2FLYAGAIN
BOOKNOW
PANCAKES

Does anyone know of others? I'm to the point I'd like to book a few more speculative itins before time runs out.
If you are going to pick a random code, it seems only one on your list is attached to a real, identifiable person. I know there are other actual AS employees who are regulars on this forum, if they want to state what their "name" is, I would be happy to consider them also.
dayone and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Booked a long-overdue trip to LAX last night for March. I am semi-hoping they drop the nonstops and reroute me through SEA (or as many other places as I can fit in).

And I just booked a mileage run, out and back to SFO (kind of like what I did last March), also in March. Not too shabby at 2.53 cpm. I will hit MVP on my return from LAX.

When they offer 40% off but jack up base rates, I don't book anything. But then 30% off and actually-reasonable fares gets two trips out of me. I still miss the old BOGO (read: 50% off) sales.

-J.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If you are going to pick a random code, it seems only one on your list is attached to a real, identifiable person. I know there are other actual AS employees who are regulars on this forum, if they want to state what their "name" is, I would be happy to consider them also.
Same, but for some reason I was under the impression these were single-use per MP account. Just confirmed that's not the case. Doh! So nevermind. I don't need further codes. (I was also under the impression that QUEENJEAN is the only code out there for an individual. Because royalty.)

Edit: P.S. While Googling for more codes, I found three or four sites (including a news story at the front page of this site) that all provide only the code QUEENJEAN, so missydarling's quest for Eternal Glory might be within reach.

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Dec 18, 2020 at 6:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.